Tammy Grimes goes on trial next week

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]Open Letter from Tammy Grimes, December 17, 2007
[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]

On September 11, 2006, I rescued a dog that was dying at the end of a chain in a muddy yard in a small Pennsylvania town. I was subsequently arrested. A little over a year later, on December 15, 2007, I was convicted of theft and receiving stolen property.

The last year has been the most traumatic and the most inspirational of my life. I have been labeled a "terrorist" a "vigilante", a "publicity hound" and an "anarchist." I have been called a hero. I have been humbled by encouragement and well wishes from people all over the world. I have been attacked in person and in print in my small town, where the prevailing view is that it is fine and dandy to tie a dog to a tree or a dog house and leave it to pace back and forth for year after agonizing year, in skull-cracking cold or 100-degree weather, with nothing but parasites for company.

I don't regret what I did. Not for one second. And when it comes to rescuing dogs and changing minds and laws, I'm just getting started. Here's why.

The dog at the center of all this, a dog we would eventually name Doogie, had been lying in the mud and rain for three days, chained to the dog house he had been attached to for years. He was unable to stand and was pawing the air in desperation. His owners chose to go four-wheeling and to work on Monday instead of getting him the vet help he needed and deserved, but most importantly was entitled to by law. A distraught neighbor had called animal control repeatedly over the course of the three days. But as so often happens, no "humane" officer called back. No one ever showed up. (Surprised? Trust me, it happens all the time, and not just in my town.) The frantic neighbor eventually reached out to me and to Dogs Deserve Better.

What I did next set in motion a chain of events that would eventually garner national attention, the wrath of some, the support of others, and an agonizing trial during which I had to listen to lies and mischaracterizations for three days: I removed that dog's chain and I took him to the veterinarian. It was all very clear to me as I lifted the emaciated, wet dog into my van. I had been in animal rescue long enough to know that I would probably be labeled the villain while the dog's caretakers wouldn't even be questioned for leaving a suffering dog on the ground for three days, not to mention all the years they tied him to a shabby box in the yard; letting his toenails to grow so long they were curling back toward his pads, denying him vet care when he most needed it.

But I also knew that what I was doing was morally correct. It was the compassionate thing to do. It was the only thing I could do. Time was of the essence. A dog was suffering. I felt he was dying.

In court, it became increasingly clear that our 'humane officer' left me "holding the bag," in this case little more than a bag of bones. He had been offered the dog by me as part of what should have been a cruelty case against the caretakers 2 times on September 11th, but ignored me both times. On the witness stand the officer, in an attempt to cover his own hide, stated he told me and the vet assistants not to remove Doogie from the vets. This is absolutely untrue, and if he had done so I would not have been put in the position of choosing between Doogie's skin and my own.

So, now I'm guilty. Ah yes, guilty of caring about a dog that had been left to die. Guilty of putting myself and my reputation on the line because I can't stand to see suffering. Yes, call me guilty.

At Dogs Deserve Better, we see dogs in horrific situations every day. Sometimes these sad animals are neurotic or aggressive from years at the end of a chain. Sometimes, they are half-starved or have collars embedded in their necks. Sometimes they are dead. So, why go out on a limb for one old dog? Why take a moral stand in this one instance? Why challenge a law, when Dogs Deserve Better has stuck to the letter of the law in almost 1,000 rescues to date?

The answer is simple: because it was the right thing to do. Because our laws regarding personal property and animal welfare are contradictory and archaic. Because Michael Vick can't kill his dogs, but the Arnolds can. Because, at the end of the day, I knew I simply couldn't live with myself if I walked away from that dog and left him to suffer there in the mud.

Doogie blossomed after we got him medical care and showed him a warm bed and a little love. He not only walked again, but actually ambled around with a spring in his step. Imagine. A dog that for many years could not take more than a few steps before being yanked back by a chain, was trotting around a yard and enjoying soft hands and a warm home!

I have no illusions about my life's work. I know some people will never get it. I know some people think "it is just a dog." I know some people consider me the representation of all that is evil because I have compassion for animals and because in one isolated incident, where the clock was ticking and life was ebbing, I took someone's "property" -- property that the owners had for all intents and purposes abandoned on the ground like a used-up piece of junk. But I don't care what my detractors think because I now know that I have more support, more friends, more allies, than I ever dreamed possible.

The support I have received during the last year has made me stronger in my convictions and more steadfast in my work. I know that the vast majority of reasonable, educated, compassionate people believe that it is barbaric beyond imagining to chain a dog for its life. I know that anti-tethering laws will continue to be passed in states, cities and counties across this country. ("No-brainers" a recent news article called these laws.) And I'm going to work harder than ever to make sure that happens.

Five years ago, when I started Dogs Deserve Better, people laughed in my face when I talked about laws against chaining. Today, three states have passed laws that severely limit the practice, as have hundreds of cities and counties, some banning chaining altogether. I know that I will see the day when our society sees tying a dog to a doghouse for 15 years as abhorrent as eating a dog.

Oh yes, make no mistake: times change and morality and compassion eventually triumph over ignorance and stupid, blind habit. Slavery ended. Women got the right to vote. Wife beating is no long accepted. You don't see a lot of kids working in mines or sweat shops anymore. Even dog fighting was made a crime.

I can't help but think about Rosa Parks. We can be sure she never regretted refusing to budge from that Montgomery bus seat. And though I may never be as brave as she was, I'll never regret taking a half-dead dog from someone's yard.

In memory of Doogie. May he rest in peace.-Tammy Grimes, December 17, 2007

To read the press release and view just-released photos, visit the Doogie page.

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Source: http://www.dogsdeservebetter.org/doogieletter.html

Those photos show an almost 20 year old dog rolling over for a belly rub and napping on the ground. I can tell you that when my old pyr was at the end of his days, he didn't look pretty laying out in his (fenced) back yard napping either. Get him up, and he would smile and be all shiney, but on the ground he always looked pathetic. That "poor dog" unable to stand, bull crap. Looks like she is almost holding it down in the one photo and the other it's almost on its back wanting to be left alone or get its belly scratched. It is near impossible to judge any situation based on photos alone and taking the word of the criminal is ridiculous.
Tammy Grimes is a theif...nothing more.
Supporting her is supporting *any* one who thinks that *you* might not be doing what they *think* you should. This means you support the right for some one to come and steal your dog because they think crates are cruel, feeding dog kibble is not good enough, or that fences are too confining....
I'd like to see the 20 year old dogs of everyone who is supporting her....

Yes , but they were proved wrong !

And the conviction of Tammy Grimes, proves that what she did is not right, nor is it acceptable behavior....supporting the theft of an animal because of an outside person's percieved notions of that animals is ridiculous. Maybe some of the people who are so "pro" for her would not feel that way if some one came alone and stole one of your pets with the announcement you weren't taking care of it how they "thought" you should be caring for it. Maybe the majority of you won't get it until it happens to you....and if you support the behavior...it's only a matter of time before you fall victim too it.

bubbatd

Obviously you want the last word here . I'm still glad that Doozie had some happiness in the end . Amen .

IMO, pictures show you what you want to see. If you show the same picture to two different people, you're likely to get two different impressions. I had that reaffirmed by the study I did on this board and others, testing peoples' perceptions.

Saintgirl

Agreed^^^^.

For those who don't believe that these pictures verified a dog requiring vet attention, what about the pics where the dog has to be carried to the car in a blanket because the dog can not walk??? What about the pics that show the dog after vet care looking like a totally different dog? Thise pics clearly show a sick animal, whether it be age related or not. No animal deserves to suffer like that. I feel sorry for the lack of empathy that those claiming Tammy is a thief suffer from.

Abuse is abuse, and regardless of the situation the dog was kept in, it was an animal who required vet care or at the very least to be put down in a humane manner. I can fully understand the verdict even if I don't agree with it. Unfortunatley animals are consisdered property, but that still doesn't make what Tammy did ethically wrong, even if the law dictates it so. I feel sorry that Tammy has to pay for something that should never have happened in the first place.

Dani

Ninja Dog
Pictures don't tell the whole story, but the fact that the 15 (?) year old dog was left chained outside, neglected, without receiving any sort of vetrinary care says more than enough.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
IMO, pictures show you what you want to see. If you show the same picture to two different people, you're likely to get two different impressions. I had that reaffirmed by the study I did on this board and others, testing peoples' perceptions.
The only problem I see with this statement is the fact that I'd rather not see what the picture shows me. I don't go around looking for the bad in pictures. If I had seen the one photo in which they are prepping him for the blanket, I would have concluded the same thing, even if I had not known the story behind it.

Agreed^^^^.

For those who don't believe that these pictures verified a dog requiring vet attention, what about the pics where the dog has to be carried to the car in a blanket because the dog can not walk??? What about the pics that show the dog after vet care looking like a totally different dog? Thise pics clearly show a sick animal, whether it be age related or not. No animal deserves to suffer like that. I feel sorry for the lack of empathy that those claiming Tammy is a thief suffer from.

Abuse is abuse, and regardless of the situation the dog was kept in, it was an animal who required vet care or at the very least to be put down in a humane manner. I can fully understand the verdict even if I don't agree with it. Unfortunatley animals are consisdered property, but that still doesn't make what Tammy did ethically wrong, even if the law dictates it so. I feel sorry that Tammy has to pay for something that should never have happened in the first place.
Thanks, Saint, you said it much better than I probably ever could.

DryCreek

The dog was 18 years old, a phenomenal age for a canine.

The average domestic dogs life span is 12-14 years with the larger breeds tending to not live quite as long as the smaller.

Dogs/wolves in the wild average between 6-9 years.

Are dogs supposed to look hale and young still when they have reached an age most dogs will never see?

This whole issue is based upon what a neighbor said. To assume that what the neighbor said is 100% true and not exaggerated (even worse if they are against tethering) is naive. For her to honestly say the dog was laying there for 3 days straight meant that she had to have sat there and watched for 3 days straight. No bathroom breaks, nothing. Not bloody likely.

Can anyone here tell me how a dog that was raised in a neglectful household actually made it to 18? The best cared for dogs usually don't make it past 14-16.

what about the pics where the dog has to be carried to the car in a blanket because the dog can not walk???
That pic shows a dog not being allowed to walk, not the same as not able.

What about the pics that show the dog after vet care looking like a totally different dog?
The quality of the picture makes it look like a totally different dog. The only difference I see is that Jake is standing and not laying down.

I can point out the other views all day, it's easy for me as I'm not involved in the issue. Jake lived for 18 years under the care of it's owners and lived for 6 months as Doogie elsewhere.

And why, if they knew this dogs name was Jake for 18 years, would they change it?

One reason only, publicity. Look at what we've done! We've saved poor Jake and gave him a better life as Doogie! (for 6 whole months :cool:)

Think about it, since Tammy has done this, her cause has been plastered all over the news and the internet. What better publicity can you get? Google Tammy Grimes and lo and behold-110 000 hits!

Take it a step farther though, search a different way, and you get this...

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=017172558093609496370%3Agomu6nootcm&q=Tammy+Grimes&cof=FORID%3A0

Yes, animals should be well cared for, but the extremism needs to stop. It doesn't help any cause to be associated with terrorists!

Tazwell

If your very much underweight 18 year old dog hasn't stood up for 3 days, lying in his own filth outside in the cold, where he obviously can't get to food or water, would the logical thing be to leave him there without help?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the trial, didn't they say that they weren't going to use the dog's condition as evidence for Tammy? Then they turned around and used the fact that the dog died against her?

J's crew

Pictures show alot but a video shows even more.

Drycreek, have you watched the video of Doogie. Not just still shots? You might want to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN9t1rv4pj4

I find it sad that you are so focused on supporting your cause that you are willing to make excuses. To say in effect "well, the dog was 18 years old after all". :rolleyes:

Amstaffer

I am a little confused why anyone would defend the original owner of the dog. :confused:

If someone was taking care of their father or uncle who was in his late 80s and he was laying in the back yard next to a chair for a couple of days and no one paying any attention to him while he laid there...would someone be trying to convolute a defense?

Would it not be our responsibility to give aid to the old man and take him some place for treatment?

When we domesticated the dog we entered into a social contract that requires us to take care of our "Best friend". I really think the dog has been the only one making a full effort honor this social contract. :mad:

Members online

No members online now.