Should I keep interfering?

moonchild1970

Designated Ball Thrower
I think there is probably a bit of telepathic trash-talking going on. I see it in daycare a bunch, and we have to try and keep those dogs on opposite sides of the playground.

Really, it sounds like Ripley just wants to push Dakota's buttons because he can, and you keeping him from getting hurt might be giving him a complex about how he can't get hurt, so he can do whatever he wants to.
EXACTLY what I was thinking! :D

otch1

Hi RD... enjoyed everyones' entries on this subject, starting back in August(?) As someone whose been in the canine industry for 20+ years, I have some horror stories about keeping a young intact large breed male, with a dominant male toy breed. As you know, it takes a split second for one canine to correct another and if it's accidentally done with too much force, it takes very little to fracture a skull, spine, or puncture a lung. I've had several clients, with both dogs being very nice family pets, lose the Toy this way. There's no room for dominance between two breeds of such extreme size difference, for that reason. I hope you like your trainer and have been able to work it out!! Good luck!

RD

Are you dead yet?
otch1, that is what I am worried about. I trust my Border Collie to be fair in correcting other dogs, but I can't expect him to understand how fragile Ripley is. A normal, fair correction could still really hurt Rip.

My trainer gave me a couple of books to read on the subject and I've been working with Ripley on being more polite. Unfortunately, he still does the "dominance" stuff with Dakota and we're having to keep the two dogs in "shifts". Dakota in the crate for a couple of hours, Ripley out. Ripley in the crate for a couple of hours, Dakota out. When we get home I'll be able to keep them in separate rooms but until then, they're both crated for a good 6 hours every day. :(

I am looking for a new home for Ripley. PLEASE, to those of you who oppose my decision, don't bash me relentlessly for it. This is what I feel is best for Ripley, for me and for Dakota.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Good Luck RD :) I support your decision no matter what, I understand and know you tried everything that you could..

Zoom

Twin 2.0
You know I stand behind whatever you decide. Ok, maybe not whatever, I'm going to have to say something if you decide to freeze and stuff Ripley to be the new hood ornament for the RV. ;) :D

Members online

No members online now.