I need treat ideas, I have kidneys and livers to use!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I bought some kidneys and chicken livers with the grand idea of making some training treats. Usually bought treats are expensive and just too large, so I figured I'd have a go making my own....

I have NO idea how to make small, smelly and non-slimy and gross treats out of guts though.....

I have not yet tried this recipe myself, but a friend who gave it to me swears by it:

2 small tubs chicken livers (they're a pound or two each...can get em at walmart)
2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
Garlic powder
Onion powder
1/2-3/4 cup olive oil
3-4 eggs

Puree livers in blender, then pour into large bowl. Add flour slowly, folding it into the liver. Then add oatmeal, fold into liver. Add garlic and onion powders (about 1/2 tsp each). Add 3-4 beaten eggs to the batter along with the olive oil. Whisk together.

Pour onto greased baking sheet (I suggest covering the sheet with wax paper and greasing it with cooking spray) and bake at 350* for 15-20 minutes.

Remove from oven, let cool. Use pizza cutter to cut into small squares. They should be the texture of fudgy brownies (you don't want cake like...very crumbly) Freeze what you don't need right away, put what you will use in the fridge. Treats need to be used within one week.

ACooper

A really easy way for the liver is to boil it for about 5 minutes or so (until it isn't pink anymore) remove and rinse, pat dry.

Slap it onto a cookie sheet (I'd line with foil or something) and bake low......maybe 250 for about 1/2 an hour. It should look pretty leathery.

Cool and cut into bite size pieces.

EDIT: The above works on beef liver........if you meant chicken livers, disregard! LOL

DJEtzel

I just take chicken livers and dump them onto a cookie sheet, bake low (250) for about 20 minutes and then take them out, let them cool, and cut them up. :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I made a cake type thing. It better work and the dogs better love it because it was DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!

I also boil then bake beef liver. No need for store bought treats when the dogs go nuts over real liver :)

Red.Apricot

A really easy way for the liver is to boil it for about 5 minutes or so (until it isn't pink anymore) remove and rinse, pat dry.

Slap it onto a cookie sheet (I'd line with foil or something) and bake low......maybe 250 for about 1/2 an hour. It should look pretty leathery.

Cool and cut into bite size pieces.

EDIT: The above works on beef liver........if you meant chicken livers, disregard! LOL
I do this with chicken liver. :]

Members online