How do your dogs travel?

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Teagan is a really good traveler, but she refuses to sleep even when we go on very long trips. Her body will be telling her to sleep but she refuses

Mitsu is a great traveler as well. She is quiet and spends most of the time sleeping, chewing on her Nyla bone or looking out the window.

And thank God neither of them get car sick.

Mine are all good. Pip doesn't especially care for the car, but he doesn't freak out or anything about it and he doesn't fight getting in or out. He seems to tolerate it as a means of conveyance to get to fun places (dog park or camping, mostly). All three of them will pretty much fall asleep in the back seat on longer car trips.

Maisy LOVES to watch out the window. If she's in the front seat she'll just sit and look out the windshield. If she's in the back, she'll usually sit behind me with her chin resting on my left shoulder and watch out the front driver's side window. Squash likes to keep an eye out, too, but he loses interest much faster than she does. Nobody gets carsick, thank goodness.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
She never really goes on Holiday with us because new places stress her out and she shows stress by peeing inside (which absolutely terrifies her when she has an accident inside at home).

She's great in the car, though! Lol

Loudly.

Traveler thinks if he can scream his way into the dashboard the car will go faster.

But that is only if we are going somewhere fun like the DP or training etc. Around town or going to places he's a great traveler and just relaxes in a seat.

Toller_08

Loudly.

Very loudly.

I hate taking them places in the car to be honest. They whine and scream and are rather obnoxious. Ripley is the worst, but they're all pretty bad. Dance at least just whines and leaves the screeching to her brother and sister, but even she is annoying. And nothing I've tried will get them to stop. They get so excited and worked up as they know they're going somewhere exciting. And even if they're not, they might have been, so they might as well let me know how excited they are. The only times they ever really go in the car though is for one of a few things: a park, a visit with a favourite person, or the vet. Or to training. And all of those things (in their minds) are pretty exciting. We don't tend to take them on "just because" car rides. We did try that for a while just to see if it would tone down the noise though, but it didn't.

That said, Dance is a great long distance traveller. Once we're out of the city she knows nothing exciting will be happening any time soon. And I've never taken the Dobes very far (more than an hour), but they're quieter too outside the city. And on their own, Ripley and Dance are pretty good even in the city. Keira pretty much always whines regardlss, but not as loudly on her own at least.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Knox is good. He's very chill. So far nameless is good too, just a little drooly and slightly carsick. Ozzy sucks. He screams and barks a LOT. Enzo is okay as long as she doesn't know where we're going. If she does she moans and groans and cries. :p

SpringerLover

They've gotten really good at traveling lately with all the driving we've done in the last couple of years. I don't know what I'd do if they were bad!

They know which side is theirs, get buckled and just hang out. They'll look out the windows some but they settle in and sleep after 10-15 minutes max.

Assamiea

The first 5-10 minutes of every car trip is always stressful, both my guys become panting, blubbering idiots. They're both seasoned travellers but every time we get in the car they think they're going to the vet. We generally take 2 or 3 trips from Toronto to New Jersey each year (about 850 km/528 miles) and bring the dogs with us, after the initial freak out they tend to sleep or look out of the window most of the time.

The funny thing is that they'll get into the car perfectly willingly, after it starts moving is when all hell breaks loose.

houlahoops

Bailey's quiet unless I leave the window open (he sticks his head out the window and BAWLS).

Liberty is fine, he just curls up and sleeps but occasionally on very long trips he will get ornery and will go after one of the others, which makes for interesting emergency stops (as they are all tangled in seatbelts and each other and drooling all over the place).

Because Mammoth is now blind and deaf we don't really go anywhere except for the vet (he had trouble loading into the truck), but I used to tie the seatbelt down so he'd have to lay down. The first car trip we ever went on (home from WV), he was ricocheting around the inside of my little Corolla for three hours. Not. Fun.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Chloe has horrible anxiety and will shake/pant the entire time. That's only when we are going somewhere, though - on the way home she curls up and goes to sleep. But, she also minds very well, doesn't get car sick, doesn't bark, and waits to get in and out of the car, so she's really not that bad.

Cynder does great. Cooper and Gracie are still learning riding manners (stay in the back seat, wait to jump in, wait to jump out, don't scratch up the windows), but they normally just zonk out in the back.

BostonBanker

Both of my dogs are great. Meg went through a period of severe stress when we were on the interstate after I got pulled over with her in the car. It took forever to get her over it (imagine 17 hours straight of panting from Kentucky to Vermont :eek:), but she is finally totally back to her old self. She generally just lies down and naps.

Gusto is way busier (imagine that). He's a great traveler, but he likes to look out and see where we are constantly. He does go to sleep on longer drives, but around town, he's a constant co-pilot.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo is getting better!

Since implementing his seat belt routine and just having him in the car more often, he has stopped whining altogether on most trips, and the stress panting has greatly reduced. Even getting stuck in rush hour traffic doesn't set him off anymore. And the 1-1.5 hour drive to Megan's farm isn't hell!
He just sits belted into the back, middle seat and soaks in the air conditioning :lol-sign:

He still gets very anxious if I have to leave him in the car to do something quick, but he doesn't bark and scream anymore, just stress pants and strains to try and see me. Hopefully after we see Dr. D this will be something we can work more on!

Doberluv

I put mine both in a crate and I don't even know they're there. It's actually kind of dangerous. I could forget and leave them there. lol. They don't make a peep. They like going places...think there's a possibility of a fun adventure. No car sickness or anything. Any place we go is someplace they like, so they get excited if I mention the advent of a car ride. Woo hoo!

Lyzelle

Zander screams his bloody head off. Or used to anyway.

I think the 4 day ride up here switched him up a bit. He slept for the majority of it.

Panzerotti

Pan is an amazing traveling dog. We've been traveling lately for training, 6 hour trips one way, and she either curls up in the back seat and snoozes or just watches quietly. She is really well-behaved at hotels or camping in a tent as well.

K

Kaydee

If I'm driving she sits beside me looking out the window-closed, she doesn't like the windows open at all...too much noise? Then she'll curl on the seat and snooze.
If hubbys driving she sits pretty good but whines on the highway. Sez something about his driving

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Chloe is good, she can get whiny but is usually good. Violets getting MUCH better. She used to cry the WHOLE way, but now she just gets whiny if we stop, because she thinks she can get out lol!

yoko

Yoshi just curls up in the seat and goes to sleep. Sometimes I'll crack the window and she'll sniff the air that is blowing in and some times she likes looking into other cars. But she's really good most of the time.

Members online

No members online now.