small puppy

dani12

We adopted two golden/lab puppies (they are now 10 weeks) from our shelter last week. After a few obstacles they both seem to be doing well. Jedi looks like he may have been the runt of the litter as he is a few pounds lighter and about 1 1/2 - 2 inches shorter than his sister. Is there anything we can feed them to have him "catch up" or will he always be smaller?

Adrienne

Good nutrition now will certainly pave the way for a healthier dog and he is young enough to catch up if he is meant to. Some of the most highly recommended foods on this site are Innova Evo, Eagle Pack, Canidae, California Natural, etc. Doing a search or looking through this topic can offer some more suggestions on good food.

Check with Mordy as to whether to consider them large breed or not. The answer will probably be large breed, in which case you'll want to either use a large breed puppy formula or an all stages formula of one of those feeds. EVO is fine for small breed pups, but usually not right for large breeds until they are more mature.

dani12

Renee750il said:
Check with Mordy as to whether to consider them large breed or not. The answer will probably be large breed, in which case you'll want to either use a large breed puppy formula or an all stages formula of one of those feeds. EVO is fine for small breed pups, but usually not right for large breeds until they are more mature.
I'm sorry but I'm new to this site. Who is Mordy?

dani12

Well, we switched to eagle pack for large/giant puppies. Daisy now has about 4 pounds and almost 2 inches on Jedi. Too cute...

showpug

Puppies will naturally achieve their genetic size potential without anyone hurrying them to catch up. If the pup is underweight then I would have him assesed by your vet, if not, I would let him be and not try to stuff more food down him. Please keep in mind that puppies may be concieved anywhere from 1-2 days apart from each other. Because of this, some puppies are born smaller and labeled the "runt" when indeed they are just younger....and yes a couple days matters in newborns!! It is not unusual for the smallest puppy in the litter to grown to be the biggest!! If your puppy is active and playful and eats a normal amount and is maintaining a normal weight then I would not worry about it. Good luck!! :)

dani12

Thanks for the advice. I think I was just worried that he was smaller and therefore not healthier. "New mom jitters!" I think having Jedi and Daisy is harder than raising my two kids :) But we've switched to eagle pack and give them the same amount of food. Daisy usually finishes and Jedi doesn't but he knows how much he wants to eat better than I do!

showpug

dani12 said:
Thanks for the advice. I think I was just worried that he was smaller and therefore not healthier. "New mom jitters!" I think having Jedi and Daisy is harder than raising my two kids :) But we've switched to eagle pack and give them the same amount of food. Daisy usually finishes and Jedi doesn't but he knows how much he wants to eat better than I do!
Sounds like you have it under control and new mom jitters....tell me about it LOL!! I have a new puppy coming home in two weeks and although I have raised quite a few, I know I will have a few "freak out" moments LOL!!! You are doing the right thing, and you are feeding a very good food. Both of your pups will turn out just fine if you keep up the good work :)

Members online