My dog bites her leash and...

michal

Ok, my dog bites her leash when I put it on and she gets it all tangled up around herself. When I try to untangle the leash she will growl at me very fiercly. This is pretty annoying because everytime I go outside with my dog, she gets herself tangled up and always growls at me.

Maya also growls when I try to take her collar off. I think she fell in love with her collar so much that she starts biting when you try taking it off or even touching it. I don't realy mind this because she has her collar on all the time because I take her outside very often and it would be a hastle putting it on or off but I hate it when she bites at times that I do need to take it off.

I've posted about my 3rd problem before, but I'm still having troubles with it. Whenever I try picking up my dog she bites! It is very important for Maya not to do this because at emergencies when I need to pick her up, she doesn't let me. Although I've seen this habbit decrease because I've been training her to not do this a lot. I still need tips on this, and all the other ones especially the leash biteing and tangling.

otch1

Teach Maya to stand quietly for handling. This is a matter of conditioning her to respond appropriately on command. I don't believe Maya enjoys being handled, period. Don't believe she loves her collar. She is growling and even biting when you put your hands around her head, take ahold of her collar to attach leash, obviously putting up enough of a fuss to tangle herself in leash. Biting when you pick her up. This is a problem you need to address immediately. Start by finding a treat she finds extraordinary, baked chicken, microwaved hotdog, ect. Cut into tiny pieces. Day one, practice 10 or more times, spread out thru the day: sit on ground, baggy of treats in pocket, call her to you. Hold treat in front of you, close to body, offer treat with right hand, touch collar with left as she eats. Don't pull. Just touch collar and scratch neck a bit as you do this. Release with "o.k." and get up and walk away. Do this until she's relaxed and leans into her collar while your hand/finger is in it and she seems to be fine with the pressure. Day two, call her to you, show treat, touch her collar on the left side of her neck, under ear as she's facing you. If she backs up, no pressure on collar, release and sit quietly. Call her to you again, make it clear you're going to touch collar and she'll then be rewarded immediatly. Your movement should be relaxed and without hesitation. Make her think this exercise is fun! Once finished with that (spend several days on that one) move on to teaching her to "get dressed". It's the same exercise, but this time when you reach out to touch collar, you're telling her to "get dressed" and while she's eating and quietly allowing you to take her collar, attach the leash. Once it's on, lots of praise and food reward, again. Let her drag her leash a bit, then take it off. Food reward as you're unhooking it. This exercise is used often with service dogs when teaching them to "get dressed", to lower their head and put it foward thru the harness on their own, or with pets when they need to keep their head steady and feet in place while buckling and unbuckling collar, attaching leash, standing for coats being put on. Also, I notice she's been groomed, eyes clippered and bridge of nose possibly? Ask groomer how she is for face being handled, wrether they can gently take her by her beard to steady her of if someones grabbing her by her collar and holding her while clippers are on face? Important to know how someone else is handling her as well.

michal

Thanks, you helped very well and I'm currently on day 1 and it's working great. I'll try to extend each day as you wrote to 2 days because my dog is rather slow but that is ok.

otch1

That is great! Take your time... it takes as long as it takes and you want a dog that's very reliable when you give a command. Tell me how it goes after a week and I have another fun exercise that will have her coming to you with her leash. Have a good weekend!

Members online

No members online now.