Grooming supplies for a dog with actual fur?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Having only poodles has left me totally inept when it comes to actually dealing with...dog fur. :yikes:

Suggestions for what I should have? What is this phenomena known as shedding? :p Puppy's parents are both medium-rough coated, so I'm going under that assumption.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
haha welcome to the shedding world! The grooming bills are less but say hello to dog hair in your food!

Things I consider "must haves" grooming wise..

- The zoom groom (it's rubber, most dogs love it, it gets so much hair out when used either wet or dry, it's cheap and it's super handy!)
- Basic slicker brush (I really like the one that is self cleaning, you click the button and the blades retract so you can grab the hair, check amazon)
- Pin brush (great for just general brushing)
- Shedding blade (great for the spring/summer months when all that coat is coming off..)
- Basic comb. I hardly use this but handy when I need to comb out burs or other weird stuff.
- Shampoo.. I like earthbath
- Blowdryer (I like the metro airforce one..)

(I would also honestly try to find out of those self-grooming places. Worh their weight in gold and will save your bathroom)
PLUS I WORK AT ONE!!! :D

and cleaning wise
- Lint rollers (TINY ONES, BIG ONES, POCKET ONES, CAR ONES, HOME ONES) keep em everywhere.
- Vacuum (dyson makes a really fancy one if you are feeling splurgy, but I just have a basic one since I don't have carpet and one that comes with a tube thing for corners and other such tumbleweeds since long hair does that)
- Bisell pet hair eraser. It's like $30. WORTH IT. Gets hair off furniture and other such things.. thing has saved my life

Toller_08

Aside from a couple of new brushes and stuff I bought for show grooming, I don't really have much haha.

I use a metal combo comb on both of my hairy dogs and just a regular pin brush. I do have a Coat King as well that I use during heavy shedding times to pull out coat manually. Just have to be careful because it'll make the dog bald if you don't use it right. Other than that, I use a force dryer, and then just thinning shears and straight scissors (and a clipper, but it's not necessary) for paw and ear trimming. I own a shedding blade and a Zoom Groom, but neither has been used in forever. I hate slicker brushes and only use mine for show grooming to brush hair up on the feet and legs.

But yeah, my go to constantly used tools are just my comb and pin brush. And that's when I even brush my dogs lol. They get brushed, if they're lucky, like once every two weeks. They are bathed and put through a full groom monthly though. But they don't really need much brushing inbetween unless I want to spiff them up if we're going to a certain place or something.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
With Happy I use a slicker brush and an undercoat rake. That's about all there is to our grooming routine.

I use a "shed release" shampoo on her (Mutt Nose Best U Hairy Dog), honestly don't have a clue if it actually does anything special lol. But it smells good. I bathe her probably once every couple weeks, and that's about as often as I brush her too. And when I brush her, it's brushbrushbrushbrushbrush until I'm just sick of brushing. There's never actually an end in sight.

She doesn't really shed. Juno is 100x worse in that department.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Thank you for all the lovely suggestions, greatly appreciated!
Have lots of stuff coming the mail now, haha. Christmas in August.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
A good conditioner also goes a long way in removing dead undercoat as well IME. It allows the dead undercoat to slide out past the guard hairs. I like The Stuff, personally.

A forced air dryer will be your BFF if you have access to one!

Thirding the Zoom Groom here. Also a forced air drier. I have a B Air Power Force Forced Air Drier and I love it. Light weight, compact, easy to move and store, and its got BALLS. We also use Furminator's full deshed system, shampoo, conditioner, and the Furminator itself at the salon, use that plus a good blow out pre and post bath and you'll hardly have any shedding problems.
Fish oil helps the coat stay nice and can help dogs whose coats are falling out willy nilly.
Daily brushing, even if its just for five minutes, will help as well.
If Pup's parents are medium coated, a mat breaker might be in your best interest too, as well as a good pair of clippers to clip the "potty path" or "sanitary" area to keep him from getting dingleberries.
The Stuff For Dogs is another fantastic product, I swear it eats mats... LOL. Spray it on and leave it for a couple of minutes and then brush - BAM, dead mat.
And as far as vacuum cleaner's go... I <3 My Shark and will ALWAYS have a shark. It NOMS teh dog hairz, and it won't break the bank.

I mainly just use the undercoat rake on Hudson. I did pull out the cat's zoom groom after this thread and tried it on him. He seemed to like it, but it didn't remove as much hair as the undercoat rake does.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Okay, the Zoomgroom is the most amazing thing on the face of the planet. I used it on my bunnies, they're infamous for shedding like crazy but it being impossible to get the fur off them. This thing...omg, it was like magic. They're all so pretty now.

:hail:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Do zoom grooms really work that well on longer coat types? I have a rubber curry brush for Juno and it's fantastic, but it is literally the only type of comb that does anything on her coat.... and for some reason I just have a hard time imagining it doing anything to dogs with more hair lol.

I suppose I could totally just take 5 minutes to try it hahaha it's just mind boggling to me.

They worked really well for helping get the hair out on shepherds, goldens, borders, aussies, etc when we did shed-x. Of course you needed something else for the really fluffy bits and for any tangles

I was really surprised when I took Susie up to the Self-groomers for a bath a couple of weeks ago, that she did not shed any hair after her bath. Usually there is hair flying everywhere as they have a powerful blow dryer. I am not complaining but wonder why there was no hair coming out as there always has been not matter the time of year. She is a Bernese cross.

Elrohwen

I love my stripping knives for getting out undercoat. They don't cut hair the way a furminator does, and they come in different sizes for different parts of the body. I use a coarse on Watson's body coat, and a fine on his head. I know some people swear by the Mars Coat King and others say it cuts coat, so I haven't tried it.

Also, I've been using the stripping knives on the bunnies (the fine one, specifically) and it's awesome. Hands down the best grooming tool I've tried on them. I think I need to get a Zoom Groom now and try that on them.

DJEtzel

These are the only tools I use for Recon...

Untitled by DJetzel, on Flickr

I don't like the zoom groom on him because it knots his hair and doesn't really get much out of him like it does Frag or Sir.

I just use a nice basic shampoo and some demat spray... I have heard great things about The Stuff, but haven't been able to try it yet.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I have a Zoom Groom, but not for normal brushing. I use it when the dogs are in the mudsink to get them all lathered up.

I have:
a round pin brush
a fine-tooth comb
a wide-toothed comb
a de-shedding comb
a slicker brush
an undercoat rake

For shears I have:
straight shears
curved shears for feet
a small pair of straight shears for between toes and paw pads and whiskers
two pairs of thinning shears, one is finer than the other

I also ditto The Stuff. Careful where you spray it, it supposedly can make floors really slick if you get it all over the floor.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I also ditto The Stuff. Careful where you spray it, it supposedly can make floors really slick if you get it all over the floor.
Oh it definitely makes floors slick.

Not that we found out the hard way, or anything.

SpringerLover

I gave away way too much grooming stuff when I moved last year. I miss my stripping knives! :(

Right now I use a metal comb, slicker, pin brush, and zoom groom.

Members online

No members online now.