some times it so hard for me

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
Thanks Boemy! you put some since it to me. I have three rabbits that run loose in the house (they use a litter box) a cat, and I do some fostering of rabbits too!

And you are right about Ruckus with his redirection issues. a poor little westie puppy would be traumatized.

as you can tell this was a sort of spur of the moment thing. I would put much much more thought into getting a puppy if hubby gave me the okay.
LOL Hubby would finally give me the okay, and I would say "actually babe, I changed my mind"

lmao

Giny

It might be a future puppy, you never know. ;)

As for terriers, and being a groomer, the westie is probably one of the calmest of the terriers I've encountered. I've never had a bad westie, and I've groomed a lot of them.

It's funny how westies come into my life often. When I was younger, a guy I used to date's mother wanted to get me a westie. (she bred and showed fox terriers and always thought I would match up with a westie) And now my husband built a home to a well known westie breeder/shower and she keeps telling him she wants to convert me to westies. lol

Boemy

Wow, I didn't realize rabbits could be taught to use the litterbox. That's neat! :)

cricketsmygirl

Angels in waiting....
Wow, I didn't realize rabbits could be taught to use the litterbox. That's neat! :)

I have a freeroaming bunny as well, his cage is open for a place to escape and hide when he wants to though. He is also litter trained. It isn't that hard and makes cleaning up after them easier.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
whats hard is rabbit proofing your WHOLE house. Well, other than the laundry room and bathroom. they are not allowed in there, and neither are the dogs.

And I just thought of something. We were talking about how a westie puppy might not be a good idea because of Ruckus. But he lives and sleeps with three rabbits whom he has never redirected aggression or anything like that too.
but the rabbits dont go on walks with us either, or out in the yard with the dogs...
so that logic might be flawed. LOL

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
whats hard is rabbit proofing your WHOLE house. Well, other than the laundry room and bathroom. they are not allowed in there, and neither are the dogs.

And I just thought of something. We were talking about how a westie puppy might not be a good idea because of Ruckus. But he lives and sleeps with three rabbits whom he has never redirected aggression or anything like that too.
but the rabbits dont go on walks with us either, or out in the yard with the dogs...
so that logic might be flawed. LOL

Another voice of reason ... you might run into redirection issues ... but with the Westie as it grows up. I had one (my ex has him now) and when the Collies barked aggressively at something, he'd get excited and attack the closest dog. Of course, they squished him to the floor and he stopped quickly :p, but I'd be afraid a terrier would imprint off of Ruckus and possibly develop his same issues ...!!

elegy

overdogged
i know that you're infatuated and i get that, but i think it would be extremely unfair both to ruckus and to the puppy for you to get a puppy while ruckus is having so many problems. the last thing you need is to have ruckus redirect on the westie and have the westie thoroughly prepared to give it right back, because that's what terriers do. then you've got a dog fight on your hand plus a westie who is likely to become reactive to other dogs, etc and it just amplifies.

Doberluv

I know how puppyitis can really get to you. I get bouts of it all the time, but have to resist because I know that it would be too much for me in many ways.

I hate to be a downer, but I think your hands are over-the-top full, as it is with Ruckus and Lyn. If I had the issues you're having with your dogs, there is no way I would get another dog. It's just too much work, you would be spread too thin. You truly might wind up with a puppy that gets screwed up. It's just too much. And that's not even to mention the rabbits you have to care for.

You're young, right? You have time in your future to get a Westie. In the meantime, I would recommend you put all you've got into the two dogs you've got...training, working on issues, giving them the attention they need.

Sorry....It's probably not what you want to hear.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
no, that IS what I want to hear. And I actually know that. but its soooo soo hard not to get a puppy!

but I do know better. I have two fruit cake dogs with issues as it is. And I dont see a terrier being buddies with three rabbits either.

so yeah, i know better. but its still hard!

I think i should just wait until Ruckus passes. Hopefully that will not be for at least another 10yrs. I will be 32 then!

adojrts

no, that IS what I want to hear. And I actually know that. but its soooo soo hard not to get a puppy!

but I do know better. I have two fruit cake dogs with issues as it is. And I dont see a terrier being buddies with three rabbits either.

so yeah, i know better. but its still hard!

I think i should just wait until Ruckus passes. Hopefully that will not be for at least another 10yrs. I will be 32 then!
I think you are being wise, I didn't realize that you had a dog with issues (the redirecting) or that you had loose bunnies in the house. Sometimes it is better to wait.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
And also, you may not have to wait until Ruckus is gone. With the work you're putting into him, maybe down the road he'll improve, and then you can get your Westie and have a good role model for him to learn from. :)

I feel your pain ... I'm dying to add another dog, but can't bring in another while my old guy is still around because Malcolm would simply die of pouty jealousy if I did!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Every time I see a bc I get terrible bordercollieitis, BUT it's not the right time. It's been a lot better since having Mia. Right now I sure as heck don't want another pup like her especially if it's 5 times her size!

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
we must have self control!
See, I am a dog groomer. And I have a really hard time not wanting to take all of the dogs home with me. Wait till after xmas. I will be grooming so many xmas puppies that I will be sooo sad that I cannot have one.

mom2dogs

Didn't read the whole thread.

But they are obnoxious :p

I was bummed at first Sofie will only be having a singleton, then realized did I REALLY want to deal with more than one? LOL

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
None of the westies I groom have fur like a maltese! and I find them very easy to groom, they are actually my fav. breed to groom.

the white does get dirty fast though!

mom2dogs

If they have fur like the maltese. Grooming
can be a pain. :p And get dirty very fast.
They are a hard coated breed, so easy to keep clean IF their coat is worked properly (throw corn starch or chalk and brush out). If clippered then yea, they get soft and dirt sticks moreso. Stripping can be a pain though. For show dogs, their jackets are groomed/trimmed once a week, pets every 3 months (if stripped, wripped down to undercoat and by the time 3 months rolls around the one layer can be pulled down again).

I've decided to try clippering and raking with my bitch. You can tells she's clipped, but she's retained some of her hard jacket. I pull furnishings here and there when she gets her weekly bath (because that's when I also trim them and her head as well).

So no, nothing like a maltese ;)

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
in my experience clipping doesnt soften the coat a whole whole lot.
We dont even hand strip, we clip. If I had a westie I would clip it too. no hand stripping for me LOL

Members online

No members online now.