Allergies + High Fiber

Kathy29

I am completely stumped as to what to do with Jemma's diet. We went to see the vet today because of a ruptured anal gland she has. I did some research on the web just now as to what may contribute to things like this and came across a few sites that mention dogs should be on a high fiber diet to minimize chances of ruptured anal glands.

She is currently on Natural Balance Venison & Brown Rice because I suspect she is allergic to chicken. I can't be sure on that, but she kept on getting ear infections and ever since feeding her diets made of turkey or (now) venison, her infections have disappeared. NB has a minimum of 3% fiber and so does Innova.

She was on a prepackaged raw diet for about 1.5 years before Natural Balance and she almost had no health problems then, but her breath really stunk despite the fact that I brushed her teeth nightly. The vet said that whatever she was eating, she wasn't digesting properly, so I switched her over.

Any suggestions as to what I can feed her? Thanks so much in advance!

Herschel

You could switch back to raw and make sure you give her enough RMBs to clean her teeth.

What did you use to treat the ear infections? I tried the stuff from my vet's office and it just made things worse. Blue Power Wash cleared Herschel's ears up within a month and now I only clean them once/month and nothing comes out--no gunk at all.

I believe the anal gland issue is usually controlled by firm, healthy stools. Canidae has a maximum of 4% fiber but I'm not sure about their minimum. You could contact them for more information. http://www.canidae.com/dogs/all_life_stages/dry.html
I believe their nutritionist is named Lois.

Members online

No members online now.