The Lick Brigade

Delisay

Is it possible to train dogs not to lick?

I was petting a group of Pomeranians at the weekend (who I liked more than I expected - well proportioned little dogs) ... and they were so lick-motivated that I couldn't properly get near them. No matter which way I tried to stroke them to see how their fur felt - no matter how fast or how sneaky I tried to be - my hand was always intercepted by a high speed tongue. (Every time! There were three Poms but I still don't know how Pom fur feels!)

I would find it annoying if my pet were like that, so can licking be prevented or trained out of small dogs?

Thanks...:p
D.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Heh. It's possible. Very difficult with the tinies and their lightning tongues, though. (I like the advice in Brattina's thread, it's worked for my Border Collie)
Poms are licky little things, but they aren't like that with their owners. There's something about strangers or friends that makes them yearn for a taste of human. I think it's more excitability than anything - when I go to pet a Pom I usually just hold my hand out for a while to let them get the licking out of their system, lol!

Members online

No members online now.