Exotics...licences...good grief!

amymarley

K, I am also starting a second business.... it's a simple one. All the "animals" will be from rescue organizations. Basically, I will provide an entertainment service for birthday parties. The "critters" included will be a snake (non-ven.), a couple of tarantulas, mad. hissing cockroaches, Emperor Scorpion, a toad - don't know what type yet, maybe another reptile like a green iguana or a monitor and a few others.
I will charge about $125.00 per hour, give some proceeds to local animal organizations and give out lit. about the organization. This is a fun, but more important, educational "experience." BUT THIS IS NOT MY POINT>>>>>>>

Anyway.....I contacted the local animal control, which said they had some snakes up for adoption... This is my concern..... They now (since July) have a policy where the adoptee has to pay $50.00 for an exotic licence to have a snake. NO PROBLEM HERE.... I think they should and will gladly pay for it.

On the other hand, I am mad at the local gov't because PetCo and PetSmart and other independent pet stores can sell their snakes and reptiles without showing an "exotic licence." I have seen first hand, the abuse of so many reptiles....so I think it's a good thing, but the average joe will decide not to pay for the licence and just go to a store for their "pet."

Soooooo many reptiles are not "purchased" for the right reasons and not cared for properly. Again, I think the licence is a great idea, but how come these pet stores can sell these animals and not have to follow govern rule? Would love to hear what you all think.

The woman from animal control said they post a fine up to $1,000, but it has not happened yet (if they find someone who has a snake and no license). It is so screwed up.... would love your 2 cents

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
i know this is an old thread, but just thought i'd mention, with monitors and iguanas they can be aggresive and stress easy, it might be good to show them to the kids but not to let them touch them, you mioght acutally be better with some geckos such as leopard geckos and some bearded dragons, bearded dragons are gorgeous and lovely reptiles!!!

P.S this is the best site in the world in my opinion about reptiles, it has helped me so much!!!!, www.reptilerooms.com

Members online

No members online now.