Question on the miniature poodle standard

Well as you all know I have a little poodle named Stryder. He was ment to be a toy but is 2 inches to big according to the canadian standard for toy poodles. He is 12 inches when he should be 10 and under(and he may still be growing a little). I know you can show toy poodles as miniatures if they grow too large and techniquely he IS a miniature seeing as the description of a miniature poodle is any poodle between 10-15 inches tall, but I also know that people prefer to have show miniatures between certain hieghts as well (even though the standard says that they only have to be between those height limits.
Sorry if I am being a little confusing. So my question is what height would you show a miniature at. I have heard they really want to see the dog between 13-15 inches. Has anyone here ever shown a toy as a mini or know what hieights are more favoured. Thanks.

o and a couple more questions. My dog unfortunately is on a non-breeding contract (not that I plan on breeding him but it could mean the the breeder has a little more say) If the breeder does not want me to show him he could say that I need to nueter the dog as to insure it shall not be bred (though I never signed anything that said I needed to nueter him so I don't know if he could do that)
I bought him from a lady who was helping him out (he was very sick at the time) and i gave her a clear picture of what I was loooking for in a pup. I wanted a pup of show quality. I said I didn't know if I would show it or not BUT if i wanted to I could. So to me that would mean he should be sold on a breeding contract but I this being the first papered purebred I have ever bought I did not even think to check what type of contract I was being told to sign.
the question is if you were the breeder of this dog and he was supposed to be a toy would you not want it shown? would you be able to say don't show it? and if you were me and the breeder didn't want me you to show it would you still?
I am gonnca contact the breeder with some questions but wanted to know your opinion on it.

bubbatd

I Really am confused. You bought from someone other than the breeder ?? I would go back to the breeder and clear things up . If the dog is not show quality , or within standard , he should be neutered. The main thing is you have a dog you love. And no, I wouldn't want to show or breed a toy poodle what had faults.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I wouldn't show him, in my opinion. If he is a larger than supposed to be poodle than chances are his puppies would also be larger. He should be neutered. I am sort of confused though. I'm guessing what you are saying is that your dog is bigger than breed standards for a toy poodle and you want to show him as a miniature? I don't know if they would except him in the show rink though, seeing as he is registered as a toy, he might be disqualified. He can be in agility or some other dog sport though.

well I bought it from the breeder but the other person handed the pup over and was there when I signed the papers. he is show qualite but is bigger than a toy and so is a mini. He can be shown as a mini just fine but may not win due to the fact that he is a bit small (though still within the standards) He would not have major fault ( from the poodle people who have seen him) he is just kinda in between sizes though techniquelly he is easily withing standard.
I KNOW the MAIN thing is that I love him and I do with all my heart that is one of the reasons I would like to show him (and do agility with him) b/c that's more fun things I can do with him.

I know it is allowed as I know people who know people personally who have done it. I am not planning to breed him (even though I know that the main idea of conformation showing is to determine breeding quality) so the size of his offspring does not matter. I want to do it for fun and for the quality time I get to have with my dog and the excitement of competition even if he deosn't win everything

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
well I would ask the breeder if he can be shown, but not bred. The breeder may allow it. I'm not a breeder/ dog handler so I wouldn't know about that other stuff. You could just ask the breeder if showing the dog would be allowed.

thanks for the reply. LIke I said I am planning on contacting the breeder and asking some questions. he told the person who physically gave me the dog on the phone when she mentioned she had joked about me showing it as a mini and I guess he said well why not. I think he is starting to get out of breeding due to his health so he may not care as much about what dogs are shown and how it would affect him due to the fact that he is (to my knowledge) not breeding them anymore.

bubbatd

I still don't understand the " go between" person..... was this maybe the stud's owner and pick of the litter ? At this point, I'd forget about breeding or showing.... go into obedience and/or agility ... I really don't know anything about poodle breeding and their standards between tea cup/ mini/ etc. I only hope I'm ashes blown to the winds if they every decide on different size standards when it comes to Goldens !

the breeder was very sick and this person is his co breeder (though was not a part of this breeding) so she helped him out with the selling of the poodles.
I am probably gonna show my dog as long as the breeder doesn't give me a really good reason NOT to show it but was just wondering if 13-15 inches was the preferred hieght
I went and read the actual breed standard from the CKC web page and it says
Miniature Poodle
The Miniature Poodle is 38.1cm (15ins.) or under at the highest point at the shoulder, with a minimum height in excess of 25.4cm (10ins.). Any Poodle, which is over 38.1cm or 25.4cm or under at the highest point at the shoulder, shall be excused from competition as a Miniature Poodle. If excused at three shows for this reason, the dog then has the same status as a disqualified dog.

Toy Poodle
The Toy Poodle is 25.4cm (10ins.) or under at the highest point at the shoulder. Any Poodle which is more than 25.4cm at the highest point at the shoulder shall be excused from competition as a Toy Poodle. If excused at three shows for this reason, the dog than has the same status as a disqualified dog.
it says that a POODLE (doesn't say a toy poodle) that is more than 10 inches at the shoulder shall be excused from competition as a toy poodle. that to me just means that it can't be shown as a toy but does not state at all that it should not be shown as a mini. andthe same thing goes for the mini that it can't be below or above the hieght limits or will be excused as a mini.
it also says on there that there is NO PREFERRABLE HIEGHT within the restrictions but I do think that judges would favor the larger poodle if a large and small poodle had the same qualities otherwise.

I am still confused about the fact that you want to show him as a mini. Isn't he registered as a toy? Can you even do that? Have a dog registered as toy and show it as mini?

it says on the main page for the breeds thread that groominggal posted the last message here but I can't see it, on my page it looks like I was the last one. anyone else getting that?

I just looked at his actual certificate and it doesn't actually say toy it only says poodle. yay! I can see your message now (couldn't before)

Members online

No members online now.