ridgebacks

Pops2

since i can't find the other thread here is a link that shows some of my friend Matt's ridgebacks. to me this is the real ridgeback not the unproven rossette wearing sweetie pies nor the super wonderful pets. i know all of Matt's stuff not only works (hard & well too) but competes in confo & are great around the house playing with & protecting the kids. they are the total package others pay lipservice to but don't actually make an effort to produce (especially as regards this breed).

not all dogs belong to or were produced by my friend Matt, but several were. i also like the tchaka dog belonging to Liz, less than a year old when he bayed that sow w/ no preior training. it is unrelated to Matt's stock, so his breeder is one i would also consider as producing the total package.

From the Field - Ridgeback Hunting Pictures

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I think i might know Banjo on there... I know his owners have taken him hunting before and that kind of looks like similar area to here.

That would be really cool if it was him, he's an awesome dog. Friendly too but not in your face, just kind of "oh you exist and you might give me cookies, okay you can touch me a little bit".

Zoom

Twin 2.0
So do they actually engage most of their prey (as in the pics with the boars)? It looks like a lot of them are in a sole retrieving capacity? I just realized I really don't know a whole lot about what these dogs truly do these days, just the tales of them pack hunting lions in Africa.

Pops2

So do they actually engage most of their prey (as in the pics with the boars)? It looks like a lot of them are in a sole retrieving capacity? I just realized I really don't know a whole lot about what these dogs truly do these days, just the tales of them pack hunting lions in Africa.
ridgebacks are curdogs, that is they are stock handling dogs that are also versatile hunters. they use ALL senses when hunting. they are warm to hot nosed, which means they only run relatively fresh tracks that the game can be caught quickly. they run a track silent with their head up because this style catches more game. they will smell the wind to locate game like a pointer or setter. they do bite the game if it's running and back off & bay when it turns to fight. w/ small game like fox, jackal or raccoon they do kill the game if they catch it. because they are a smart & versatile breed they can be trained to work birds either as a flusher (like a spaniel) or a pointer. and they take retriever training pretty easy.
as a hog dog a very few will catch & hold like a bulldog, that trait was mostly culled by the lions hunted in the 19th & 20th centuries. (about 10X as many houlas will catch & about 50X as many BMCs) but they bite hard instead of pulling hair, the bay loudly, have good speed & fair endurance. all good for a baydog hunting dogwise hogs that can run far & fast.
all in all a working bred ridgeback is an excellent dog. not for everyone because they are energetic & intelligent and so can get into trouble w/o a job. i look forward to running a couple from Matt's blood.

Members online

No members online now.