Flea invasion help!!!

kcarterid

Ok we noticed fleas on our dogs about TWO MONTHS AGO. So we treated them with Frontline Plus, used a flea shampoo, and vacuumed the entire house and mopped every single day. We continued to find fleas so we continued to give them flea baths, apply frontline every 3 to 4 weeks and vacuum and mop with soapy bleach water EVERY DAY and we treated our yards. Finally two days ago we discovered a million fleas all over our dogs so we bought flea bomb, bombed the house, came home VACUUMED, MOPPED with bleach and soapy water, AND sprayed flea spray on our animals. Today they STILL HAVE FLEAS. HOW can we get rid of these **** things. Also my dog is an Aussie/Border Collie mix so his fur is VERY thick. I am against shaving him because it is unnecessary to cool him but should I shave him to get rid of the fleas? Also if I don't shave him can a groomer thin his hair out so at least maybe the shampoo will work better? I mean I lathered and covered him in flea medicine for about 15 minutes and I also brush his coat every single day. Please HELP!

lizzybeth727

I had the same problem and did everything you did and still had fleas. Then I tried out Advantage just for the heck of it, and now the animals have no more fleas. It's amazing. There are still some fleas hanging around the house, but it's a million times better now. The advantage didn't last a whole month on Luna (and I've only had it on my cat for a few days now), but the package says you can reapply it every week if you have to. I stretched it out to three weeks, and wouldn't feel comfortable doing it more than every two weeks.

Also be careful about bathing around the same time you give a topical flea treatment. You shouldn't bathe the dog the day before or the day after giving the treatment, or it won't work.... I give it two or three days at least, just to be on the safe side.

I wouldn't shave the dog unless it's an absolute last resort.... like, try every other flea treatment on the market first. Shaving actually makes it harder for them to handle the heat. The only advantage to shaving is that you'd be able to use a flea comb a little better; it really doesn't help the topical flea treatments. You do need to make sure that you're getting the topical all the way onto the dog's skin, be very careful about that; if it's not on the skin it won't work.

Barb04

Super Moderator
You may have to use a whole house flea bomb to make sure they are out of the entire house. I had to use 2 of them years ago. My neighbor got a new pup and had to do this; she is now flea free in her home.

filarotten

Fila the love
We had one year where we had to buy the bombs for the house also. Worked like a charm. I stopped buying frontline, it seemed to quit working on the dogs.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
Completely unrelated, but every time I scroll quickly by this thread title, I see:

"Fila invasion help!!!"

and I'm like, "oh, dear. you could just send one here..."

I agree, flea bombs for your home might be the best answer.

If you're treating your dog and bathing regularly, brushing and all... eggs must still be around your house. So unless you treat your house too, fleas will continue to come back.

:eek:

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Diotamaceous earth. Non toxic to anything that is not an insect and works wonders. Has murdered all the fleas and most importantly the RAIN SPIDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brattina88

I second the DE!! It really does work!

Also, the old lamp over the dish trick if they're in your carpets, etc ...

Frontline and all of that did NOT work for us, at all! :(

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
FLEAS ARE EVIL!

We still have them, but they aren't an invasion anymore. I keep on flea combing the poor dog, but nothing works! So yeah, I feel for you

I'd recommend keeping up with what you are doing adding the DE and get a different flea control. A friend of mine had the same issue a few years back she had 'always used the same stuff and it worked great until now' changed the flea control to a completely different brand with a different chemical as the active ingredient worked great no flea issues after that... she had just created a super flea immune to the stuff she had used for so long. So she just gets something new every few times to make sure she doesn't end up with the same issue down the road. Good luck!

Members online