Selling a puppy to Hawaii

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
they have customs officers in all airports, and on all docks, you have to register and be oen ofr inspection before you can dock at any dock in a country with quarentine laws, there very strict and its not take lightly,

rabies can devastate a small island like hawaii or england

ufimych

I thank every one for opinions and suggestions. I have investigated it with vets in our local vet clinic and found one vet, who already did it. The whole procedure will cost $488. It seems to me a money grabbing policy, but the buyer agreed to pay it all. I made the first visit, microchip and two vaccinations resulted in $120 bill. The next visit is planned on early November. The pup will be ready to go in March, if everything is OK. I wll share with you the outcome.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
keep us updated.
it is a VERY expensive process...but compaerd to the cost of Kenneling for the quarrentine period which runs in the THOUSANDS (its a 6 month quarrentein if you dont do this and the quarrentine kennel charges by the day, by size and can cost upwards of $100 a day...)...and the process is very time consuming BUT its better than 6 months in a kennel, and its for good reason, hawaii is a closed eco system and there doing everything they can to protect the very sensitive eco-system of the islands, it doesnt take much to devastate an entire eco-system on a small island and right now there employing not only anti rabies regs like quarrentein laws, but also dogs trained to sniff out snakes which come in off the ships in shipments form off the islands, youd be suprised at how much damage even a single none native snake can do to that eco-system.

England, and asutralia have the same practices in place RE the pet pasport and quarrentine laws, and much of europe is now also employing a variation, travel through mainland europs isnt as hard (they do have a rabies presence) but you need the dogs health certs within so many days to cross borders, with the pet passport you dont need to see a vet every couple of weeks for updated health certs if traveling...

being my family is from england, and at any given moment we Many decide to go back, all of our dogs have active pet passports.
id suggest letting the owner know it would be best to continue following quarrentine law requirments for the passport incase they ever leave the island with the dog and want to get back in. keeping it all up to date means they wont have to start again should they ever need to temporarily leave the island.

Yes Keep this updated.

I can tell you ufimych that I admire your determination on helping people from far away and getting a good home for the pup :)

If some of the breeders had the interest in investigating and don't refuse people when they hear they live far

They could have a chance of getting a good quality dog.

In my country they arent many breeders or dog shows so the quality of the dogs is not very good, many of them where purshased in pet stores that import from other countries.

beacause the good breeders don't want to even invest time talking to people from here that are interest to buy a dog.

And I know beacause when I was looking for a show puppy (a poodle) a breeder told me in the phone "I don't want to my puppy to go to THAT PLACE, this is a great pup" and said than "when a puppy of an suitable quality born, I'm goin to tell you"

If you could see the face of the international handlers that come to the shows here , they are always making fun of the dogs and saying horrible comments.

Very very few breeders have good quality dogs (they where imported from good breeders or have imported lines) , they are the lucky ones that a breeder had the pacience of hearing them, and helpining the people and the breed.

Last edited:
I friend of mine has sent a few dogs (shelties) to Hawaii, she works with a breeder over there. It's a long, drawn out processes, from what I understand they have to have two rabies shots, at different times... titers done... and all kinds of things.

I sold a dog to Finland about 18 months ago, and the process was SOO much easier! Other than having to get the a bilingual health certificate, stamped by the USDA no longer than 48 hrs prior to shipping... the rest was pretty simple. The hardest part really was finding the direct flight out of the US!

mommakatx2

LoveMyBully
I just moved to Hawaii and the process to get our animals over here has been horrendous to say the least.

I am happy to say that we FINALLY have our bulldog home and we will get our cat next week.

Pay attention to the rules and follow them to the letter; I assume your buyer is paying for direct-release? Pay attention to when the animal's flight will arrive in Hawaii, if the animal arrives after the quarantine station closes then they will not be released, and the owner will have to pay for the 5-days-or-less program instead (about $100 more). You may have to split the flights, which is what we had to do with Dozer. Try to get a flight through Minneapolis, they have a kennel service that will get the animal, exercise them and feed them, and then put them on the flight the next day. This service is an extra $70 but it was worth it to us.

Also try to fly Northwest DASH if you can. They are the only airline that recognizes the 85 degree heat restriction doesn't apply to flights coming in to Hawaii. This is because the quarantine officers immediately remove the animals from the plane and they are not sitting in the cargo hold for more than 30 minutes. I literally fought with every single airline for HOURS about this temp. restriction...especially when it came to our snub-nose which requires a 75 degree restriction. I can tell you right now, it's RARELY below 85 degrees in Hawaii, even now. The lows are about 76 during the night and 86-90 during the day.

BE SURE the buyer arrives with a vehicle large enough to TRANSPORT the entire kennel with the dog INSIDE. You are not allowed to remove the animal from the kennel ANYWHERE on airport property.

FoxyWench, I'm not sure where you got the 6 month quarantine from...it's only 120 days. Not that I would have my animal quarantined for that long, but it's a 3-month difference. If the animal arrives BEFORE the 90 days after the FAVN blood test, they will be quarantined until the 90 days is up.

Also, the only island you can ship animals to is Oahu. So if the buyer is on a neighboring island, they will have to arrange for travel to the other island after the animal has gone through the q. station.

It was a long and STRESSFUL process, but I followed the rules and when my dog finally arrived here on Oahu, I took him STRAIGHT HOME!!!! :)

ufimych

I am in the process of preparation of the puppy to be shipped to Hawaii. I found one vet in our pet clinic, who claimed he had experience in this. The puppy got his tow rabies vaccinations and other required vaccinations; he was microchipped, of course. Next visit is due about December 15; a sample of his blood will be sent to Kansas State University lab for testing, if rabies vaccinations were efficient. The vet said this may take a longer time, because the lab is slow with responding. All other puppies are in their new homes. In fact, I was two females short! Now, I have a list of five buyers on puppies from the next litter. However, I doubt, if they would wait for two years until I breed again. Breeding, caring about a bunch of puppies and selling them is quite a job.

I'm glad you found a home for that last male! Good luck with everything sending the pup to Hawaii, hope everything goes well.

I'm sure by the time two years goes by and your "puppies" are turning out to be great dogs there will be people wanting a pup from you again, so even if these five don't stick around two years new ones will turn up

Got any new pictures of them and the female you kept? Love to see them

Members online