Changing behavior - timid?

Not sure if this is adult behavior emerging, a phase, or what.

Barley used to be exceptionally friendly with strangers. He'd let anyone pet him, and got all wiggly-butt when someone approached.

Just in the last week or so, this has changed. No unusual incidents that would be causal, but whenever a kid or adult says, "can I pet your dog?" i allow them, as long as they come down to his level. Yesterday, he backed away again from a neighbor girl, the mail lady, some random guy, and a teenager. He doesn't snap, but actively avoids them by backing away, standing behind my legs, etc. He looks uncomfortable.

Is this his inner chow coming out? Any insights? Should I continue letting people pet him? Try to modify?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Ahh.. hes going through the "fear phase".

Almost every pup goes through it in their lives between 5-7 months.

Riot went through that.. but his fear turned into nipping at people - all belgians go through that phase that I have met!!

Just keep at it, assume him that no one will bite him lol

Riot took a few months to get out of that stage.. Now hes happy to see people!

Just keep consistant with it.

Roxy's CD

As summer said it could be a fear stage. (I would probably attribute his behaviour to this)

Although, he may be to young for this, but after a year, sometimes you'll notice a big change in your dog, they lose the "puppy factor". They mature and become more of the dog that they will be as an adult. Around 15 months I saw a HUGE change in Roxy, she went from a cute playful puppy, happy to meet people, to wary and sometimes just not interested in strangers at all, as long as they weren't bothering her.

Members online

No members online now.