Ear Shaving (not related to plucking)

avenlee

My cocker spaniel's ears are H O R R I B L E! lol to say the least. Normally, I wait until the spring to get Sadie groomed, but my husband is refusing to pay the 40.00 to get it done and insists on shaving her himself. We have the shaver and he does do a good job (hate to admit that). However, her ears are really clumped and matted. We've cut throgh most of the outside with scissors. What is the best way to shave underneath near the ear opening. We've had to put eardrops in her ears recently also which makes it even worse.

Hope there's a trick to it other than be very careful. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hmm, I do all the grooming with my Schnauzer. I dont know about any trick other than doing it fast.

First I would use scissors to get all the mats off, if that is the case. Previous to that, I would wash him and use some tangle remover and brush him to minimize the mats.

Then use your fingers to scoop up the longer hairs inside the ear and scissor away. When this is done its time for clippers.

I hope you have a good pair, but anyway, be fast because ears are sensitive and the blade gets hot fast. Just clip away, and be firm with the dog so that you can do it fast. If the dog squirms and tries to get away take a break, play with him, give him a treat, and try again later. If the blade gets too hot for your palm, let it cool off before continuing.

nicco

Wolfpack
I don't recomend what Siemens said...Don't do it fast coz he might irritate. That place, under the ear...if you are not carefull and do it very slowly..he might get a very bad irritation...

avenlee

Well, you both make sense. I'll be careful and slow, but I will keep in mind that the shaver might get hot. Also the detangler before hand is good to know.

Thanks to the both of you. Wish me luck lol I might just sneak her over to Tracy, our groomer one day hehehe :p

Only, when I sneak something behind the hubby's back its usually a new pair of "Got to Have those Darn Shoes!" and then I hide them in the trunk for a week or so. LOL That wouldn't work in this instence :eek:

Cocker's ears are about the hardest to keep healthy and groomed. Cockers are so prone to the ear matting, infections, etc. I would leave it to a professional... but I guess you kind of are! ;)

bubbatd

I'd stick to sharp scissors for the inside/out side hairs and leave the clipping for the pros.

bubbatd

P.S. pin or tape the ears back once in a while to let air get to the canal.

lilly

ooooo if u wanna teach your dog to teach your dog how to keep their paws out of the way, make he/she lean his/her side against a chair and put tape on her nose.he/she will try to scratch it off,and at the same time, say "NOSE"do it a few times until he/she gets the hang of it!

lilly

then just say "NOSE"when you want he/she to keep their paws out of the way.and also,dont shout.it might frighten him.

Be VERY careful using scissors to cut mats out. You can easily cut skin and not hair. Cockers are a high maintance breed and honestly need to have a haircut every 6 to 8 weeks. Only use a #10 blade on ears, ear leather are very thin and can be nicked very easily.

Brattina88

It might be easiest to sneak her out hehe
If not I'd stay away from the scissors and use the clipper; lift the mat and go at it like a sheep. Once the ears are rid of mats it will be easy for you to keep them combed out as a preventative measure, is your husband wanting to keep her shaved down year round?

I complete agree with grooming gal. Scissors to cut matts away from ears SCARY!!!!!!! I would use a ten blade. if the outside of the ear is more matted try shaving the inside of the ear first. just move slowly and don't force. I would have atleast 2 blades so when one gets hot you can exchange it for the cooler one and switch back and forth as needed. then once it all out you can take thinners and gently thin around the ear to make it look nice but ALWAYS put your fingers on the edge of the ear leather so you make sure you can't cut the ear by accident.
oh ya and also always shave downward and always toward the edges. like lets say this U is you dogs ear. shave from the top middle and fan out in diagonals like this
/ l \
/ l \

Members online

No members online now.