What in the world. . .

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Are we doing wrong? Am I loosing it? :confused:

It just seems like anything we do for Jake training wise, doesn't effect him at all!

He's SOOOO into sniffing. How do trainers do it that have beagles and hunt with them off leash? Jake only comes when Jake wants to come. And before you say "Oh, do blah blah blah and blah" Been there. Tried it. It doesn't work. We've done the treat thing, but weening him off the treats just puts us back to sqaure one where he doesn't come anymore.

Then there is pulling on the leash. N.O.T.H.I.N.G. W.O.R.K.S. P.E.R.I.O.D. He's so hard headed that no amount of "ANHH ANNHHH!", leash corrections, or even scruff tugs phases him. :yikes: I've considered a prong, but, eh, I just don't like getting into that habbit.

Then there is humping Blaze. I know this is a dominace thing, but good grief dog!!

Then there is jumping up. I know I've posted about this before. So we tried giving him a like thump on the nose when he jumps up instead of "off" to try to make it a "not pleasent" thing to do. Nothing is working. His nose leads him to jump up (he only does it when we have food).
So then I tried making him stay in the living room while everyone was in the kitchen eating/making food. That worked, but we've never done that with any of the other dogs, so I didn't know how good it would be to teach Jake that while he clearly sees the other dogs walking into the kitchen.

Please, someone tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it!

He's basically on a NILIF since he always has to sit/down/etc before he gets something.

Oh, also, he's a very laid back dog. Which is suprising considering everything I just wrote. He can be held on his back with no problem, he just goes limp. I can be picked up, rolled over, etc fine. He doesn't get overly worked up at the site of new dogs or people.

Oh, and are there any Beagle books you'd recommend?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
When you are weaning treats off for his recall do you make it intermittent, so he doesn't decide it's just not going to be rewarding anymore? Have you used toys/freedom/other rewards for it as well? When Lucy does something she doesn't care for or has trouble with(like "leave it"), I make it a HUGE deal when she does, a minute or more of praise, and I mix it up so she doesn't know what to expect. It also helps not to show the treats to her if I'm using them, so she doesn't already know what happens when she follows my command, and decides not to come if another time she can't see them.

I never scold when a dog jumps up on me. I turn around instantly and give no attention, if there's food involved I would make sure it was out of his reach and would wait until he gave up and walked away.

Also, with the leash thing, have you tried NOT using corrections, like maybe stopping everytime he pulls? Though that may just make him content to sniff wherever he is. :p

lizzybeth727

Please, someone tell me what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it!
You sure you want advice?

First of all, I always laugh when people say "I've tried everything, nothing works." I've been a professional trainer for years, and training on my own for most of my life, and I don't even KNOW all of the methods, much less become proficient enough to use them all effectively within one dog's life. And if, by chance, you actually HAVE tried everything, unless your dog is about 10 years old now you're probably switching methods too much for any one to do any good.

He's SOOOO into sniffing. How do trainers do it that have beagles and hunt with them off leash? Jake only comes when Jake wants to come. And before you say "Oh, do blah blah blah and blah" Been there. Tried it. It doesn't work. We've done the treat thing, but weening him off the treats just puts us back to sqaure one where he doesn't come anymore.
I'll let the hound people help you here... but off the top of my head I'd say you're probably weaning off treats too soon. Recalls are so insanely important, I use treat rewards for recalls LOOOONG after I wean off treats for other behaviors. In fact, my chi has been training for 4 years and I still treat her for a recall about 80% of the time.

Then there is pulling on the leash. N.O.T.H.I.N.G. W.O.R.K.S. P.E.R.I.O.D. He's so hard headed that no amount of "ANHH ANNHHH!", leash corrections, or even scruff tugs phases him. :yikes: I've considered a prong, but, eh, I just don't like getting into that habbit.
I don't recommend leash corrections, "ah ah", or scruff tugs at all to teach a dog loose leash walking. Have you worked inside in a low-distraction environment? I'd also suggest starting even without a leash on, so that you become good at communicating with him using your voice and clicker, rather than the collar/leash. If he walks with you, he gets c/t (high rate of reinforcement) and lots of praise. If he decides to go away, you can ignore him for a few seconds after he gets back to you, then start walking and c/t for being in position.

Then there is humping Blaze. I know this is a dominace thing, but good grief dog!!
I can't recall exactly what the problem is with humping, maybe you could sum it up again? And what have you been doing to correct it?

Then there is jumping up. I know I've posted about this before. So we tried giving him a like thump on the nose when he jumps up instead of "off" to try to make it a "not pleasent" thing to do. Nothing is working. His nose leads him to jump up (he only does it when we have food).
So then I tried making him stay in the living room while everyone was in the kitchen eating/making food. That worked, but we've never done that with any of the other dogs, so I didn't know how good it would be to teach Jake that while he clearly sees the other dogs walking into the kitchen.
Are you talking about jumping up on counters/tables/etc., or jumping on people?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
No, really, he's like no other dog I've trained. :p

Whats wrong with humping? Whats NOT wrong with humping? First, it makes Blaze mad. So Jake gets mad because Blaze got mad at HIM. Then you have a problem since they are BOTH mad at each other. Or, Blaze doesn't tell him off so Jake just keeps on humping and keeps on. Which isn't okay.

Maybe I'm not doing something right with Jake and the leash corrections. But it's worked for Blaze so I tried it on Jake.

The jumping is mostly on people. I did try the ignoring thing, but he just stays there! Haha :p

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Lizmo, maybe you've been spoiled by Blaze and Lizzie? :p

Beagles are sweet dogs with people, but when it comes to training some of them can be stubborn, stubborn, stubborn.
Oh very much so :p I used to think LIZZIE was hard. Phhhft.

lizzybeth727

Whats wrong with humping? Whats NOT wrong with humping?
No, what I meant was, when does it happen; where does it happen; how often does it happen; is there anything at all that you've noticed that triggers it; does Blaze always tell Jake off or does he always take it, and is there anything that you've noticed that will predict whether he'll take it or tell Jake off; and most importantly, what have you done about it so far?

Just because a training method works with one dog, doesn't meant it will work with another dog.

Here are some articles about teaching dogs not to jump on people.

http://www.awla.org/dog-jumping.shtml

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/1184

Members online

No members online now.