3 legged dog issues.

I'm new, and hoping someone can relate to this:
We have a 6 yr old chihuahua/whippet, Oso, that my husband rescued out of a dumpster when he was a puppy. Oso had been thrown away by some rotten owner because he had a broken front leg, and it healed improperly. He still has his leg, but he limps, and rarely uses it. He's an amazingly kind, gentle, loving, obedient, yet fragile dog. He's great with strangers & kids, but hasn't been around other dogs much.

Our new pup, Barley, is a chow mix, and was considered "submissive" by the humane society, which I'm not seeing. But we're working the dominance issues out, and he's started obedience/manners class, but he scares the crap out of Oso. Oso runs and hides under the couch when Barley wants to play. He seems nervous all the time, and wants us to pick him up when Barley is near. We try not to intervene, but Oso ends up in hiding and it's never settled between them. Despite a few growls from Oso, Barley DOES NOT back off until Oso finds a "safe" spot. :confused: We have not interrupted Oso's normal walking/feeding/cuddling schedule. Is there any way to facilitate a better relationship? My dream is that Barley will learn to leave Oso alone and protect him - am I totally disillusioned?

Both dogs are neutered. I'd appreciate any advice!!! Thank you!

Oso must feel quite threatened and both dogs realize he is disabled. Sounds like Barley wants to play and Oso probably can't keep up. Barley definitely needs to learn some manners and probably in time Oso will feel less threatened but make sure he does have some Barley-free safe time and areas where he doesn't have to worry about the boisterous interloper.

I would say you owe it to Oso to intervene. He could probaly get hurt if things went wrong. These things take time, training, and maturity. But you do have an active role here.

Members online