Anxiety meds (for a human)

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
After my road trip today, I've been thinking....

How do you know when an anxiety medication may be beneficial? I am planning on discussing this with my physician when I go in for my yearly physical next week...but I guess I thought it may help to get other opinions.

I have diagnosed myself with situational anxiety, if that is a thing. Anything "new" or "unscheduled" throws me into a nervous wreck. I loose my appetite. If I force myself to eat, I get extremely nauseous. I have gastrointestinal upset. Nervous sweats. Generally tense and jittery. This happens anytime I'm thrown into a "new" situation - driving in an unfamiliar area, socializing with unfamiliar people, not knowing the exact details of an event and having to "wing it"...anything new, and I'm a wreck. And it doesn't go away until I'm back in my comfort zone.

I solved this by living by my comfortable routine and not branching out much. (And when I do branch out, I have a security blanket with me, whatever that may be. A friend, a family membdr, heck, even the dogs help.) Recent circumstances has made this now impossible, and I've come to realize how bad my anxiety actually is. It isn't crippling, as in I can force myself through it, and I've never had a full out panic attack before, but I don't think it's normal. Or maybe it is? I don't know. But it doesn't seem healthy. And due to life being what it is right now, my routine is pretty much shot, and I can't take feeling this way much longer.

I don't think I need to be on a daily anxiety med, but would something situational seem like it would help? Any herbal supplements I can try? Anything else that may help?

Airn

There are several meds that help out with anxiety but that aren't exactly meant for anxiety. I'm not sure of any over the counter anxiety meds. I know of some that SAY they are but as far as I know there's nothing reliable OTC.

Tons of people are on anxiety meds. A lot of them have several other uses as well as side effects. I would talk to your doctor and figure out what works best for you. You could explain you would only need to take them as needed and that's perfectly normal. Depends on what pharmacy/company you go with but Wal Mart has several anxiety meds on their $4 list. (If cost is a factor. I'm assuming it is. Depending on your insurance, you might be able to look online at what's covered.) Prozac, Lexapro, Xanax. Those are all used for anxiety. (Generics are Citalopram, Alprazolam and Fluoxetine.)

Most of the customers I know that are on these meds haven't had many lasting side effects once they've found their proper dosing and medication. It takes a few weeks before you notice the full effects but it does vary by person. Like any medication it's important to pay attention to your health while taking it. The doctor can increase the dose or change your medicine as necessary.

Anyway, there are many medications for it so I would be surprised if you are unable to find one that works for you. :)

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
You described me almost perfectly. I have generalized anxiety disorder and take citalopram. It's made a huge difference. I can do things by myself and not freak out. Not only just things, but new things. It's amazing and great and awesome. If you think you want to try medication, talk to a psychiatrist. I finally caved and went to talk to one about two years ago and don't regret it at all.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I'm on Xanax and like with all anxiety meds, it depends on the person what will work for you.

I don't take it daily, like you it's situational (post-seizure, stressful time etc...)

For me, it helps relax my muscles (all that tensing up doesn't help), relieves anxiety (exam anxiety, panic anxiety, new schedule anxiety, date anxiety, OH GOD FINALS anxiety), calms the seizures down...

Also makes sleeping easier. But doesn't make me drowsy but I know a lot of people have that problem.

Talk to your doc :)

On the none prescription med route... I know plenty of people who take rescue remedy (yes, the dog one lol) and say it works wonders.

elegy

overdogged
I have situation anxiety meds and some of the other drugs I'm on also help with anxiety even though that's not what I'm taking them for, specifically (zoloft and trazodone).

I started with Ativan. It worked sort of, but I adjusted to it and it stopped working really at all, so now I'm taking Klonopin. I only take it as needed. I'm allowed up to three Klonny a day. Some days I take all three. Many days I take none.

You can develop a dependence on it, which is no good. But man they've been a godsend for me.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder. I do not currently take prescription medication as I have been on the fence for a long while trying to decide if I do or don't want to pursue that route. I do take ark naturals happy traveler if I feel a panic attack coming and it really helps reduce my anxiety and minimize the severity of my panic attacks. It's cheap and it's meant for dogs and cats but works perfectly fine for people when you figure out your dosage.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I've suffered from GAD since I was a teen. I've been on and off meds depending on situations, and of course individual mileages vary.

I've spent periods of time on a low-dose SSRI and it's done a world of wonders. I've also used situational anxiety medications when needed. With all of this, I take time 3-4 times a week to practice self-help as well with the help of this book:

http://www.amazon.ca/Anxiety-Phobia-Workbook-Edmund-Bourne/dp/1572248912

Speaking to a therapist periodically has also helped.

My goal is to be able to have a powerful arsenal of mental tools to combat my anxiety without medication. But until I feel comfortable doing so, meds help.

Currently I have Ativan for situational purposes, but I'm seriously considering a low dose SSRI for awhile since the upcoming few seasons will be very very stressful on me.

SpringerLover

I ended up in the ER for a panic attack a few years ago now. I don't generally struggle with anxiety to that degree luckily, but I do understand how it can be debilitating.

I worry about the uncontrolled aspect of herbal remedies (not that I don't think they can be good/great/amazing), so I would definitely talk to my doctor before I try anything.

A huge part of my puzzle was actually being able to pinpoint my triggers. And working on them systematically. I literally approached it like I did training my dogs. I still get very occasional panic attacks (less than five a year, which is down from a couple a week over the years) but they're not debilitating. I practiced a lot, lot, lot of calming thoughts/words/body postures/etc.

Lyzelle

Yep, count in another with GAD and panic attacks. *waves hand* I was perscibed Xanax after Jin and I split, but it is impossible for me to get ahold of because of age and area. Despite being prescribed, virtually everyone refuses to fill it because they think I am pill seeking. So I have to make them count.

It helps. It does make me loopy and generally amusing to be around. I can't drive or anything, and after about 2-4 hours of Lyz trying to fly, I crash and am dead to the world for at least 6 hours. Lower dosage won't touch me, though, so maybe if I find someone to talk to again, I will try Klonopin.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Thanks for all the insight, everyone!

I definitely do think I want to try something to see if it will help...because this is no fun. I realize some anxiety is normal, but this seems a little extreme. If I was a dog, I'd want me on something to help behavior modification work. Lol

Members online

No members online now.