The dog musing/vent thread

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Snipe has been invited to go to the giant Can Am flyball event in IN in October which is totally awesome because 1. She's just now getting competition ready and will debut in September, 2. this is our club's *fast* team and the only one going, and 3. I have family and friends I can stay with in the area so I only have to cover gas and a small portion of the entry. Super cool!

Buuuuut I can't announce it on fb because they need to make sure enough folks can go and so I need to wait until that is confirmed. ARGH. I wanna brag on my dog!
Way to go Snipe! Where in IN is this?!

My musing. I'm tired and ready to go to bed. Feeling so lazy that I don't really want to shut the computer down. All the dogs are in crates from dinner... asleep and being good. I don't want to let them out and make them all crazy. Blah.

Cattle dogs. Why must you play on my head in the morning? Also, you are terrible passengers in the car.

I accidentally locked Percy in the bedroom and he DESTROYED Bobsie's new bed. I'm mad at myself for closing the door on him and ticked off because I'm going to have to buy her another bed, and because I'm a dumb@$$. I need to find a behaviorist and SOON. I also need to pay more attention to what I'm doing. Ugh.

Lyzelle

*sits down with beer and grapes*
Zander: OHAI WIMMENS. CAN I HAS?
No, you cannot has.
*zaner sits*
Okay, I sits now. I can has nao?
NO YOU CANNOT HAS.
*huff puff sigh moan*

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I am totally impressed by my dog right now.

We've had a lone mouse a while but she hadn't really made any indication it was there recently. This morning we got out of bed and she immediately started sniffing and making her overexcited noises.

She starts sniffing around the bed and crawling up under it. I have the two extra inserts for my dining table stored up under there. It's a HUGE wooden table I inherited, very nice, seats 12. And they're kept in leather bags. My little 8 lb dog bites the end of the bag and drags both inserts out from under the bed. :eek: You should have seen it, she is so tiny compared to them. Once the inserts were removed, she started really sniffing under the bed for the mouse.

Anyways no mouse found but wow, is she something. I need to find a barn hunt for her.

FG167

A musing...do I want a Staffy or an ACD. I'm on tentative lists for a year or more from now...I wish there were more drivey dogs in my area I could meet in person. BUT, I know I love the Staffies in Flyball so that's a plus.

Snipe has been invited to go to the giant Can Am flyball event in IN in October which is totally awesome because 1. She's just now getting competition ready and will debut in September, 2. this is our club's *fast* team and the only one going, and 3. I have family and friends I can stay with in the area so I only have to cover gas and a small portion of the entry. Super cool!

Buuuuut I can't announce it on fb because they need to make sure enough folks can go and so I need to wait until that is confirmed. ARGH. I wanna brag on my dog!
That's AWESOME! I wonder if I could go...and support. There's a team in Nashville that has welcomed Kastle and I any time we can...wonder if they're going :)

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Me too, holy crap. I don't even know what I want, and a puppy is not feasible for at least 2 years. ARGH
I'll take anything! Lol! I want a Whippet, but any ol mutt will do. :) I just want a squishy little puppy to cuddle and love! LOL

Another dog is feasible for me, but my dad won't allow it lol! So I will likely have to wait til I move out which could be anywhere to a year to 3 years from now.

ACooper

Add me to the puppy fever crowd! Think I have everyone on board (FINALLY!)

Thinking of a small dog (maybe under 15lbs) and I'm thinking maybe December.....January? *eeeeeeeee*

Yorkie? Miniature poodle? IDK....our house is slowing down, can't do another big dog with lots of exercise needs. We need to go smaller so shorter walks and running around the back yard is enough, LOL

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
You should get a papillon. Just cause I want one but don't think I'll get another for a few dogs.

I heard of an awesome sports potential pup this week tht is up for grabs and had to turn it down. Bah responsibility! I know I won't regret waiting until after I move and after the girls are further along training.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
A musing...do I want a Staffy or an ACD. I'm on tentative lists for a year or more from now...I wish there were more drivey dogs in my area I could meet in person. BUT, I know I love the Staffies in Flyball so that's a plus.

That's AWESOME! I wonder if I could go...and support. There's a team in Nashville that has welcomed Kastle and I any time we can...wonder if they're going :)
Ack! You need to go so I can meet you as well! A mini-Chaz meetup! Also, I'm still not 100% sold that an ACD is what you are looking for. I would highly recommend meeting some working, but reputable, bred ACD's before you make the final decision. I'm obviously the odd one out though, so maybe I'm just crazy. Lol!

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
meepits: The Can Am is in Indianapolis, October 18-20th. It would be super cool to meet up with you there if you can make it (and the team has enough people to go)!

FG you should totally come up!

ACooper

You should get a papillon. Just cause I want one but don't think I'll get another for a few dogs.

I heard of an awesome sports potential pup this week tht is up for grabs and had to turn it down. Bah responsibility! I know I won't regret waiting until after I move and after the girls are further along training.
Oh they've crossed my mind! I figured I would be picking some brains around here (hint, hint, LOL) about physical needs and such.

As I said, our house is slowing down, kids moving on, and we need a smaller and less active breed of dog. A breed that would be happy/healthy with a short (mile or less) daily walk and some play time in the house/backyard.

When I said "December....January" that is when I plan to start actively looking, so of course I'll need to have my mind made up (or narrowed) on a breed/s. I'll be getting a thread on the matter going pretty soon and I might even shoot you a PM or two ;) I have no qualms with adopting from a shelter, craig's list, etc etc but I do want to go in prepared with clear expectations of what will work for us at this stage in our lives.

I REALLY don't want to end up with a criminal master mind like Mia though! LMAO! (I'm getting too old to keep up with the likes of her! LOL)

Maxy24

At work I've noticed all of the German Shepherds do the EXACT same bark when they are annoyed with another dog. It's this high pitched sort of soft/restrained bark usually done with lips pulled back to show teeth, usually right in the face of the offending dog, but with the shepherds head turned slightly away. It's just so strange they all do it and I've never seen it from any of the other dogs.

In other news, working at the daycare has made me sort of fall in love with German Shepherds and Huskies, two breeds I had no interest in at all. It's funny though, my first week working there multiple people told me working there made them hate German Shepherds.

FG167

meepits: The Can Am is in Indianapolis, October 18-20th. It would be super cool to meet up with you there if you can make it (and the team has enough people to go)!

FG you should totally come up!
Oh boo, can't. That's the weekend of IPO worlds! My TD is competing and we're going to support.

Also, I'm still not 100% sold that an ACD is what you are looking for.
Me neither, lots of time to hopefully meet some and decide...but I am struggling finding anyone around here with NOT show bred ACDs running agility...however, I *know* I love Staffies :)

I want a cheap harness for Hudson for vacation because of the beach. I kind of want to try my hand at making one because I have lots of nylon webbing and buckles, I just don't trust my handy-work not to fail when Hudson hits the end of a leash with all his might. He can drag me when he does that.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
In other news, working at the daycare has made me sort of fall in love with German Shepherds and Huskies, two breeds I had no interest in at all. It's funny though, my first week working there multiple people told me working there made them hate German Shepherds.
Everyone at my daycare hates GSDs too, but I love them and working with them only made me want one more! I think they're just poor daycare candidates, generally, so they see the annoying side where I'm like whoa, I bet that dog is AWESOME at home!

My muse of the day: I think I need to be more flexible about my future breed, because I'm coming to realize that I have very high demands for a breeder. I basically want a soulmate in a breeder, lol. I want someone that will become a good friend and mentor and I think that might be hard to find if I'm only looking at one or two breeds. Luckily my criteria is somewhat broad and I think there are a decent number of breeds I'd be perfectly happy with. I've been so focused on finding *THE* PERFECT BREED and I'm seeing that maybe that shouldn't be my absolute #1 concern.

crazedACD

Everyone at my daycare hates GSDs too, but I love them and working with them only made me want one more! I think they're just poor daycare candidates, generally, so they see the annoying side where I'm like whoa, I bet that dog is AWESOME at home!
When I worked in boarding kennels (and I see them brought into the retail store where I work now) yeah, most of them that come through are pretty weird. They are just not always really great in public or put in the care of someone else. There are some that are pretty stable but so many that are kind of a mess. Airedales too, I never saw an Airedale that could handle being kenneled well.

Members online

No members online now.