Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?

Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?

• Yes

Votes: 31 36.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 39.5%
  • Almost

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • This is a dog forum?

Votes: 6 7.0%

• Total voters

CaliTerp07

This is so weird to even contemplate breeding a spayed mutt when I am 100% never ever going to breed a dog! But, just for fun...Lucy is smart as heck, drivey as all get out, structurally very sound, and rapidly progressing through agility titles.

That said, she is a reactive little brat on leash, and can't eat hardly anything without having cannon butt. There are zillions of mixes in the shelter who are also smart and drivey, structurally sound, and agility potentials. As much as I want a Lucy clone one day, I would never breed her.

If someone gave me a puppy Lucy though, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Is there a way to add one more poll option (maybe "some of them") for those with multiple dogs?
I was kicking myself reading this. This is the first time I have ever made a poll and meant to do "can answer more than one" but failed and now I can't fix it. Maybe a mod can?

This is really cool and interesting to see people's evaluations and read what is more important to some than others.

Thanks! I am writing up my monsters now.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Artimis: No way in hell! haha, I love him and he is a fantastic dog for sure. He is super loyal, loving, cuddly, energetic, great off switch. He will lay around as long as you want but as soon as you want to do something he goes 110%. BUT, he is super nervy with new things, people and situations.

Talon: I probably would say no as well, but not for a real specific reason. He is so far pretty fearless of *most* things. He goes through stages, and he's still young so I don't know what his personality will be like when he's done growing. Right now if he stayed the way he was I'd say probably not, only because he is on the stubborn teenage stage and I don't like that.

No, I do not see Crystal as breed worthy. In my opinion, she has too much of a startle-y temperament, and has far too many fear issues. Her protectiveness of the family is fear based and she is just too fearful in general. Fear aggression towards males and larger dogs is another issue that we have been trying to work with. I just believe she is naturally a 'fearful' dog. But when she is not put into a threatening position, she is perfect. I consider her well behaved, friendly towards kids, tolerant, although wary of strangers. She is willing to please, and naturally likes children. Another thing that makes her less breed worthy, though, is her bad health. She has luxating patella, which is basically her knee caps dislocating and popping out of place. This is genetic, and would be passed down, so no, I wouldn't breed her because of this as well.

Brattina88

Nope on either. While Maddie has a pretty awesome temperament, and solid structure her skin problems (while completely under control and not a problem now) would rule her out completely. Plus she was the runt so not really to standard lol.. But she's perfect for me! :D

Bailey's too crazy - jumpy and a bit skittish, I woundn't say her temperament was solid at all - so even if she was a super model (which she isn't, don't tell her I told you! lol) that would rule her out :p noooooo thank you

BostonBanker

Meg: Not as a Mountain Cur. She has, to the best of my knowledge, never been evaluated as a hunting dog. If someone were considering trying to breed for the ideal family pet dog, she'd be more interesting. I wouldn't say yes as she is; whether her dog issues (reactivity, never actually been aggressive) were in part due to her early life (among other things, I know for a fact she shared a crate - not a kennel, but a crate - with another adult female for quite a while in rescue), or if they could have been prevented - I don't know.

Beyond the dog issue, she's an incredibly ideal pet for most of America. She's a nice medium size, wash and wear coat. She is as close to bombproof as any dog I know with humans of all shapes and sizes. She is happy to go out and be active, but has always handled being home in the house easily. I think she could do just fine as dog who went out in the yard a few times a day. She's got an iron stomach, and has never once had a health issue in the seven years I've owned her. She's too 'soft' for an ideal sport dog, but I think that can be a good trait in a pet.

Gusto: He's too young to really say - but quite likely as part of a sport dog program. His weaknesses would mainly be his size (a bit over the 16" cut-off that I know matters in agility, and which I think is also a big cut-off in flyball) and not quite enough handler focus - which could be a training issue or not.

He's incredibly well built. He's light on his feet without being "flimsy". He's got nicely balanced play/prey/food drives, and can swap from one to the other as a reward and back again. He might be a little soft for some handlers; perhaps my judgement is tainted by having come from Meg! He is softer than I thought when I first was working with him. He needs more work physically and mentally than an ideal pet, but settles well in the house with his current schedule. His dog skills are some of the best I've ever seen. Zero reactivity, happy to play with dogs who want to play, but very respectful of dogs who don't. He isn't outgoing or social with people outside his few favorites, but doesn't display any aggression at all. So far, he's proving to be a nice agility dog, although it is way too soon to really know.

In this hypothetical world, he's one I'd keep an eye on for another year or so and then make a final judgement.

Saeleofu

Gavroche - absolutely not. Between dysplastic hips, DA/DR, anxiety, hypothyroid, bladder/prostate issues, teeth issues - just, NO.

Logan - I'm not experienced enough in collies to say either way. I can't analyze his structure, coat, etc like an experienced breeder can. All I can say is he's not an absolute, unquestionable NO like Gavroche is. His breeder is free to use him if she ever wanted to, but I'm not breeding him. I do absolutely adore his temperament and would take more just like him. I do plan on getting a dog somehow related to him when it's time for my next collie.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
(If the world was perfect and breeding mix breeds was acceptable.)

Chloe: absolutely not. She has horrible temperament issues (aggression and anxiety) and already at the age of 6 has arthritis in one of her hips.

Gracie: again, no. Although she's not the worse Dachshund I've ever seen, I'm not happy with her build. Her front legs seem too short to me. She also suffers from horrible allergy issues, and while I don't know if those can be passed on to pups...meh.

Cooper: no. I believe he has a mild patella issue in his right rear leg, although otherwise has a very good build for a Yorkie. Very athletic, not fragile at all, and he's shown on more than one occasion he has a ratting instinct. But his personality is just...not all there. Lol He's a good boy, but suffers from mild anxiety and is not the brightest bulb in the world.

Cynder: if she were to pass health clearences, and we knew pups would be like her...maybe. She has a rock solid temperament, is built wonderfully, perfect size, great coat, athletic, smart, active, quiet, able to live in an apartment and not go bonkers being alone all day, cuddly...if there was a dog breed of her, I'd want one. (Maybe breed in some retrieving/tug drive, though.)

FG167

Eden: Absolutely not. She is a terrible representative for her breed in that she is nothing like the standard in terms of temperament :) I love her to death, she fits in here wonderfully and she has a really awesome temperament - go anywhere, do anything, meet anyone - but it's not standard. Also, she's small and slow haha

Kastle: Not sure yet. He's very social and stable with good drives but he's a little extreme. I am going to reserve judgement until he's like 4-5 years and has some experience and more titles under his belt - namely, IPO. I also need to have his hips/elbows x-rayed and his DM test done still. That said, if there was someone looking to add drive into the mix with their bitch, perhaps I'd be interested (later). He's wonderful in a lot of ways - fun, well mannered, polite, loyal, tolerant of other dogs, good with people of all ages...environmentally solid...

Limit: Probably not but we'll see. 1. I don't think anyone will want to use him for stud and I'm not going to start my own breeding program. 2. I don't know how his biddability/handler focus will transfer when we start actually competing. He's really cool right now - stable, social, he's got a nice build, good drive for food and toy - likes to chase, retrieve, and tug. I love him a lot and he has a lot to offer but it's up in the air if that will make him a super awesome active pet or a decent performance dog.

crazedACD

Romeo... He has a fantastic temperament. His build is alright, structurally sound, and although not all that close to standard, he is passable. But he has several genetic disorders...absolutely not.

Zoie, luxating patellas, nope.

Skye, no sane living person would want another one of her :p. Alright so she has no aggressive tendencies, she is stable, has a good attitude, a solid build and no health problems. She is closest to breedable but where she has never gone out hunting or been proven useful in any way other than a pet...I would say no.

None of mom's dogs are suitable.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Mia- no. 1. Bad knees. 2. Missing teeth 3. As much as I adore her temperament, it's not really the most breed-appropriate temperament. It is within the range I see, but she's very sharp and reactive. Her energy level is a lot higher than most papillons I meet. Plus she is completely stranger intolerant. Fun dog, but not precisely what the breed should be.

Summer is a hard one. She was bred twice prior to me getting her. She is not show quality but I fully understand why the breeder bred her. Her temperament is superb minus the separation anxiety and the SA didn't show up until I got her. So when she was bred it wasn't something anyone was aware of. Honestly, I think her issue was mostly never being alone because she was in a house full of many dogs and people 24/7 then she moved to me and had to adjust. I think she would have been perfectly normal without that drastic change in lifestyle.

Summer is structurally gorgeous and sound. I have gotten so many compliments on her build. Her big flaw is her lack of coat (she was smooth coated pretty much till she got spayed). I've had show handlers tell me that she would be finishable with the coat she has now. My old trainer who was involved in working line aussies also thought Summer was one of the nicest small dogs she's seen structurally.

Summer's got longevity in her lines. Her dam and grand dam both lived past 16+ and were sound up until their very last year. Her mother at 12 looked to be about 6 and Summer is going the same way now at 8.

Summer's never had any health issues save her eye stye. She's hardy.

She also has a SUPERB temperament. She is intelligent and biddable, outgoing and friendly, happy, a good amount of drive, easy to live with, athletic, just all around good. Summer really represents the best of the breed imo. Her line has fantastic temperaments.

No titles but she was a killer therapy dog, which I believe is more important for the breed than any title.

Unfortunately, for some reason Summer could not carry a litter of puppies to full term. :( So that is something we didn't want to pass along. After the second failed litter, she was spayed. I still wish she hadn't lost her litters even though I probably wouldn't have her now. She is just such a nice papillon.

Gypsydals

Ivan, yes and no. Yes to what the world sees, no to what I see.
Yes part of the answer.
Structurally he is great, no health problems.
Is health tested and passed all of them.
He is titled.
Comes from health tested parents.
Has a titled parents and grandparents.
Has longevity in his lines.

For the no part of the answer.
I see both sides of his temperment. I would describe him as being bi-polar. He is great with everyone when we are out and about. In the home, hes an asss who sounds like he would like to eat everyone.
He is a bit of jerk when it comes to other dogs.
So it makes me question how much of his issues is genetic and how much of it is because of me.

Peewee, Yes for the most part. He has a great temperment although a bit soft for my liking but it makes for a great family pet.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
:rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1::rofl1:

*ahem* No.

(every behavioral issue in the book, crappy structure, ALLERGIES.)

JacksonsMom

Um, well, hypothetically, I mean no. He's a horrible representation of the Yorkie breed. If he's even a Yorkie. He'd probably be an ideal dog for a Silky Terrier breeder though, lol.

So taking into account that he has no papers, is way too big for his breed standard, has a tail (also not to standard), has an overbite, etc, absolutely no.

In a dream world though, if all Yorkies were like him (in size, temperament, etc), I would definitely have Yorkies here on out. Structurally, he's great, as well. But the truth is I pretty much don't like 90% of yorkies being bred out there today.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't even know lol.

Juno's got her anxiety but really I'm pretty sure that I created that soo... I don't think she has screwed up genetics in that regard.

I think she's put together nicely but what the hell do I know about dog structure :) For a 4 year old boxer she's doing pretty well healthwise... no lumps and bumps, her heart sounds great!

I'll say no just because of the anxiety. But pretty much my dog is awesome and without the anxiety, and in a capable breeder's hands, I think she's a superb choice :p Of course, this is provided we don't care about the breed standard either, because otherwise her color alone would be a reason why she "shouldn't" be bred lol.

Pip or Maisy... bahahahaha. I love them to death, but... um, no.

Squash, 99.99% no but ask me hypothetically again in a couple years when he's matured more. He has lovely hips and a nice gait, works well with others, is a good puller, and no DR/DA/HA. Hasn't had any health problems and is an easy keeper. If his sled dog instincts and work ethic continue to mature he theoretically could add some nice power and strength to some Alaskan puppies.

Well, if he still had his junk, anyway. And if there was suddenly an unexpected shortage of Alaskans in the world.

PawsibleDogs

Crazy Dog Nerd
Merlin, with only as much hesitation as should be taken in considering breeding anything. His only issue at 8 is from a performance injury that was repeatedly misdiagnosed/treated, and he's retired from jumping sports due to that. He has his faults but he has so much of what's disappearing in the breed today, and his temperament is snug-worthy -- he's appropriately appraising of strangers but NOT shy, nor does he have a spooky bone in his body. I've passed on the inquiries I've gotten to use him thus far, but if the right breeder/cross came along I'd go for it. :)

Potion, no way. We've gone through a ridiculous amount in 2.5 years and seeing the same tendencies in relatives I would not wish it on anyone. I adore her, but I know the heartache I've gone through and wouldn't want to potentially cause more of it for others.

Dewy and Rio, also no way - structurally incorrect (Rio better than Dewy) and reactive/spooky temperaments.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Aside from the fact that all of my dogs are altered...

Bamm- No way in hell. He is fearful, reactive, horrible separation anxiety, some aggression issues and did I mention reactive? lol

Joey- No way. He isn't exactly a great example structurally of his breed. Too many conformation faults and he tends to move a little funny. I'd like to get him checked out for that at some point and see if having him adjusted by a chiropractor makes a difference at all.

Cricket- Yes and No... I absolutely LOVE her structure. She is perfect to me in every way in the way she is built and she has a really solid temperament and is EXACTLY what I want in a dog. I even have enough people that would have honestly been interested in Cricket puppies to have homed an entire litter... BUT... one she is a mix, two she has zero titles in anything right now, three she is spayed and four she has allergy issues that I would be worried about possible passing down.

Members online

No members online now.