Lethal White Aussie Rescue

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Amazing Aussies

I'm surprised at how many dogs they've rescued. I guess I thought it was a rarer occurrence. I was looking at the breed specific rescues located in my state and found this site. I'm sharing it because a) I've never heard of this kind of rescue before and b) I know a lot of Chazzers love herding breeds.

For anyone who wants to adopt a dog that may be special needs, there are amazing dogs on this site.

Look at this beauty!

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Great a rescue exists so that breeders can be skeazy and breed double merles purposely as they have somewhere to dump them. And a rescue to promote them and make them more desirable so that more can be bred.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I didn't think of it that way. :(

I really hope that's not what happens. :(

mom2dogs

Their site is sort of hard to navigate through (tho I only skimmed), but I didn't find any info on surrendering. I would be interested in learning if they do take in surrenders and under what policy. If they rescue them from the shelter, strays, etc. I fail to see how they are any different then a breed specific rescue, senior rescue, etc. . . But then again I think every rescue should make it tough for someone to just dump their pet.

I highly doubt having a rescue dedicated to helping lethal whites makes them more desirable for any sane person then a senior rescue making them more desirable. Looking at the site, it lists their faults (deaf, blind), that's enough for plenty of people, in this area at least, to turn their heels and run away.

Dekka

Just try me..
I've seen people who think this is pretty and after seeing a whole bunch of them think they must be a something and want one. There are people who specifically only want this. (There was someone on this forum who specifically only wanted this type of Aussie).

mom2dogs

I've seen people who think this is pretty and after seeing a whole bunch of them think they must be a something and want one. There are people who specifically only want this. (There was someone on this forum who specifically only wanted this type of Aussie).
Soooo....? As long as they aren't going directly to the breeder, I don't give a rats ass if they want one specifically like this (I didn't see the post where someone specifically wanted a lethal white, but I know someone who has two and has stated that as long as there is one to adopt through a proper recue group or shelter, she will probably always have one). Granted, I think the majority should be put down (that I've met/heard of), but if there are people out there who have the patience, time, resources, etc to help them, then I don't see the big deal. Now I would LOVE for this practice to stop (the breeding of them), but if the rescue isn't helping the breeders personally, then more power to them, and I don't see how they are any different.

Dekka

Just try me..
Some of the ones I've met have no issue going directly to breeders. The rescue advertises them and then they go buy the product wherever it pleases them.

Picklepaige

Well...if we go by that logic we might as well be against all rescues and shelters.

My shelter "advertises" our dogs at PetSmart on Saturdays...is that horrible?

Dekka

Just try me..
No its great!

Its the fact they are advertising something that shouldnt' exist. Its great they want to help the dogs. But by specializing so they show pictures of only those... people start talking as if these white aussies are a 'thing' like white dobes etc. I mean they have their own rescue and all!!

I help promote the foster dogs for the JRTRO. But if someone wants to go get one from a breeder thats ok. If someone decides they only want a pretty white aussie and there isnt' one in rescue they will likely also go to a breeder.

Its like you want to promote them.. but only to the right people.

mom2dogs

I don't think they should glorify them... And what I saw they aren't. Each dog I saw on their site had an issue... If THAT still makes people want one, I wonder what kind of person they are, a normal person would scratch their heads and wonder WTF is up.

The fact there is a recue devoted to them, and knows about the training, medical problems, etc would mean they know what homes these dogs need better then some rescues. So I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I don't think if they truly meant to glorify them, they would post this link on their site.
Australian Shepherd Health & Genetics Institute, Inc. (Emphasis mine)

Aussie Genetics Fact Sheet: What's Wrong With White Aussies?

by C.A. Sharp

An Australian Shepherd with a coat mostly snowy white sounds beautiful, but for decades all the breed standards have made having even so little as a third of the coat white a disqualification--meaning such dogs cannot be exhibited at dog shows and should not be bred. Why?

Aussies with mostly white coats can be produced when two merle Aussies are bred together. Merle is the patch-work coloring (black and grey or liver and buff) most associated with the breed. When a puppy inherits two copies of the gene for merle, it will usually have a lot of white in its coat.

If these puppies only had lots of white, there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, most of them are also blind, deaf or both. This is the reason that the breed standards disqualify white dogs and why knowledgeable breeders will not raise them.

Life for a dog which is blind or deaf can be difficult. The defects cannot be cured or corrected by surgery or other treatments. Sometimes such dogs will tend to bite when startled. People who own white Aussies must take extra care all through their dog's life--which can be 15 years or more--to make sure the dog cannot harm itself or anyone else because of its disabilities.

If someone offers to sell you a white Aussie, don't buy it. If you already have one, have your vet check for defects in its vision and hearing, then take whatever precautions are necessary to protect your dog and those around it.
However, remembering how impressionable people can be, it would be better if they put this sentiment in huge letters on the home page, reminding people not to buy from a breeder who breeds double merle, or to do it themselves.

We've rescued them and each time, have a little ditty on their bios stating what is wrong with the breeders who breed them. But we do this for all our dogs with "issues" stemming from irresponsible breeding, such as congenital blindness and hip dysplasia.

Members online

No members online now.