Sex Differences in breeds

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
GSD male-

GSD female-

I know I'm killing those two pictures, but they just do what I need them to here very well.

borzoimom

Couch Pototoe City
In Borzois the male is more coated- long flowing coat. Its thicker as well where as the female is more silky and shorter. Temperment wise- the females think " more outside the box". Males are more relaxed and " whatever attitude" while females are more like ' what it is in it for me" type attitude..

DanL

I know I'm killing those two pictures, but they just do what I need them to here very well.
They are great looking dogs, don't worry about it!

As far as the white GSD goes- where is that even an accepted color? Is the white accepted as a separate breed by the AKC or something now? It's not part of the accepted coloration for the GSD breed.

I know one white GSD. His features are much finer than my males are. His head is narrow and pointier like a females is. He's pretty tall and flat backed but he doesn't have much mass behind him, he's probably 15lbs lighter than Gunnar and he might be a bit taller.

Here's a compare of the 2 of them. They are about the same age, the white might be a little younger than Gunnar but not by much more than a couple months.

Falconara

Gene Junkie
As far as the white GSD goes- where is that even an accepted color? Is the white accepted as a separate breed by the AKC or something now? It's not part of the accepted coloration for the GSD breed.
I do not believe I ever said German Shepherd...in fact...if you go back...I believe I not only said White Shepherd, but I also made a second distinction between the two in my second post about coats.

I wrote a post about this a few weeks back. They are not German Shepherds -- The AKC is not the only registering body in the world...and in fact recognizes only a portion of the breeds world wide. The White (Swiss) Shepherd Dog is a breed recognized seperate from the German Shepherd Dog in most of the world -- via the FCI -- the governing body for most of the kennel clubs throughout the world...and have been since 2002....its pretty old news.

In the USA there are a group of us trying to attaing the same (American White Shepherd Club)....the United Kennel Club already registers them as a seperate breed, and the AWSA is a registry and supports seperation with a seperate standard. The link to the information is below.

( http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79135 )

All the dogs save the short coated female I showed in those pictures were European, including my own female -- the LSC female. The European lines stem mostly from Regalwise and Hoofprint lines, which are WS Lines. I dont think that either of those males looked especially bitch, and I tend to think that for the most part W(S)SD lines tend to follow that trend...WGSD lines tend to follow the trend of the Ambred GSD Showlines.

What Lines does the white come from? Give me a kennel name and I can tell you if he belongs to WGSD lines, W(S)SD Lines, or Pet Lines.

Is your GSD German Highlines? They tend to have alot more bone than anything bred from and in Amlines.

~Cate

Last edited:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Beau says in papillons the males have manly sexy hair.

Okay, seriously there's not much difference if any!

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
What Lines does the white come from? Give me a kennel name and I can tell you if he belongs to WGSD lines, W(S)SD Lines, or Pet Lines.

Is your GSD German Highlines? They tend to have alot more bone than anything bred from and in Amlines.

~Cate
His dog does appear thoroughly German. Guys like us who own German lines tend to think any American style dog looks "bitchy". That is exactly because, as you said, our dogs have huge bone and muscle structure because their working nature demands physical strength and a very powerful bite.

I guess the separation in American vs German style lines is becoming especially obvious. One line is used to trot in a ring and herd sheep, the other is used to fight with and win against people.

Kharma's father, Gamble

Kharma

She's her father's daughter through and through, but, as you can see, there is a definite difference. A good male is decidedly masculine, and the female is decidedly feminine by comparison.

Falconara

Gene Junkie
His dog does appear thoroughly German. Guys like us who own German lines tend to think any American style dog looks "bitchy". That is exactly because, as you said, our dogs have huge bone and muscle structure because their working nature demands physical strength and a very powerful bite.

I guess the separation in American vs German style lines is becoming especially obvious. One line is used to trot in a ring and herd sheep, the other is used to fight with and win against people.
Hey now...my girl herds and eats people :)

lol. I will say that most of the European W(S)SD Lines tend to have more bone than the American bred WSD Lines...its another reason I like the Euro lines and intend to use them...though at the same time the European lines tend to be shorter -- so it might be that they have the same bone, just distributed differently due to height differences....I will say though that the ring dogs that I see tend to have lighter bone as well...one of the W(S)SD Studs in france I have been eyeballing is a little lighter in bone (not that it affects his sexiness) and he is a Ring 2.

~Cate

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Beagles have been done.

Field Springer Spaniels the males are definately bigger, stockier and goofier than the females.

At the Cardigan Corgi national I had extensive conversations on this topic, because I was trying to figure out what would be a better fit in my house. What I was told:

Males are more laid back, goofier, more inclined to cuddle, more clownish, as well as markedly heavier boned (This was obvious from looking at them).

Females are more serious, tend to have alpha personalities, snarkier, and busier, but more sensitive.

Conclusion: Under no circumstances should I get a female Cardi with Sarama in the house, unless is the worlds most peaceful Cadri bitch. So, dog it is!

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
Hey now...my girl herds and eats people :)

lol. I will say that most of the European W(S)SD Lines tend to have more bone than the American bred WSD Lines...its another reason I like the Euro lines and intend to use them...though at the same time the European lines tend to be shorter -- so it might be that they have the same bone, just distributed differently due to height differences....I will say though that the ring dogs that I see tend to have lighter bone as well...one of the W(S)SD Studs in france I have been eyeballing is a little lighter in bone (not that it affects his sexiness) and he is a Ring 2.

~Cate
Most Berger Blancs I've read about have some sort of protection training, it seems to be standard for Euro dogs. And, while Berger Blancs take after Euro GSD's, AWSD's seem to take after Ambred GSD's with extreme angulation and sloping backs.

I think part of the reason white dogs of GSD lineage (personally, I like the idea of a White Shepherd breed, and support it fully. They are a very narrow second in my favorite dog list, I just wish WSD's would take one standard, there's what, four different clubs and standards? Lordy, I digress...) tend to have lighter bone is that there is simply a connection with the white masking gene and lighter bone. White GSD lineage dogs have historically had smaller bone, even old Captain Max commented on it, and that's part of the reason the SV didn't like them.

DanL

Falconara, thanks for the info on the white shepherds, I wasn't aware of them having a different name now.

The white I posted is a rescue, I don't think the owner has any info on him but he is most likely American lines. He doesn't have a real sloped back like other American lines do though. He definitely has temperament issues and little working ability. He's more of a fear biter than anything.

My dog is West German. He's actually pretty tall, just under 27" so he's a little over standard.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
This is one of the best illustrations of the differences between male/female Aussies. WTCH Bears Aurora of Windsor "Rory" and Scout of Troon Lane STDcds "Scout" from Ad Astra Farm in Lawrence, KS, by the way.

Falconara

Gene Junkie
Most Berger Blancs I've read about have some sort of protection training, it seems to be standard for Euro dogs. And, while Berger Blancs take after Euro GSD's, AWSD's seem to take after Ambred GSD's with extreme angulation and sloping backs.

I think part of the reason white dogs of GSD lineage (personally, I like the idea of a White Shepherd breed, and support it fully. They are a very narrow second in my favorite dog list, I just wish WSD's would take one standard, there's what, four different clubs and standards? Lordy, I digress...) tend to have lighter bone is that there is simply a connection with the white masking gene and lighter bone. White GSD lineage dogs have historically had smaller bone, even old Captain Max commented on it, and that's part of the reason the SV didn't like them.
I think the difference in standard stems from that there are WGSDs that follow the GSD standard and WSDs that follow the WS Standards -- the WS standard for AWSA is very similiar to the FCI standard...just alot more detailed -- which it needs to be considering the tendency towards trends in this country...the UKC standard is very, very close the the AWSA standard...especially after recent changes. I think things would come closer to a single standard if we could get seperation...but the GSDCA isnt letting that happen right now.

As far as the bone...I just think it depends on the line -- the LSCoat male I posted previously really isnt too light on bone...is father, X-Dream Amaroq isnt really either -- but they're both from SchH lines. The Ambred lines tend to be lighter...but everything in American tends to be a little lighter on bone than in Europe...AWSA dogs arent what I would call angulated though...the WGSDs might be though.

(Moonshine -- Germany)

(Amaroq -- Austria)

(Adonis -- USA -- AWSA)

(Obi -- USA Bred, resides in Germany -- AWSA)

I actually have never read the part about the whites having lighter bone...I know he thought that they were rather dull...but where did he say the part about the bone? I've got the '24 publication of the book...lol...and while I've been through a chunk of it...it hasnt been all of it.

~Cate

Last edited:

Paige

Let it be
Not that I've ever noticed in Border Collies but that may be because they vary so much already. Look even at my twins! Bandit has much more bone to him compared to his brother. He also has a much more masculine look than Spanky.

No wonder poor little Spankerella gets mistaken as a she-lady standing next to his rugged brother.

a.baker

Not in all but in most breeds the males seem to carry a heavier weight and the heads are slightly larger, males seem to bulk out a little more too.

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
I think the difference in standard stems from that there are WGSDs that follow the GSD standard and WSDs that follow the WS Standards -- the WS standard for AWSA is very similiar to the FCI standard...just alot more detailed -- which it needs to be considering the tendency towards trends in this country...the UKC standard is very, very close the the AWSA standard...especially after recent changes. I think things would come closer to a single standard if we could get seperation...but the GSDCA isnt letting that happen right now.

As far as the bone...I just think it depends on the line -- the LSCoat male I posted previously really isnt too light on bone...is father, X-Dream Amaroq isnt really either -- but they're both from SchH lines. The Ambred lines tend to be lighter...but everything in American tends to be a little lighter on bone than in Europe...AWSA dogs arent what I would call angulated though...the WGSDs might be though.

(Moonshine -- Germany

(Amaroq -- Austria)

(Adonis -- USA -- AWSA)

(Obi -- USA Bred, resides in Germany -- AWSA)

I actually have never read the part about the whites having lighter bone...I know he thought that they were rather dull...but where did he say the part about the bone? I've got the '24 publication of the book...lol...and while I've been through a chunk of it...it hasnt been all of it.

~Cate
I really like the look of those Euro line dogs. I think it's the heads that seem to make the difference. I'm all about the LS coat, looks good on those dogs, and really helps to separate them from GSDs me thinks.

I know the AKC and GSDCA are fighting this for all they're worth, but has the SV and FCI accepted the split?

I'll see if I can dig up the Cpt. Max reference, but I don't recall where I saw it. It was on some WSD website.

Falconara

Gene Junkie
The SV wouldnt register the dogs...so it didnt matter with them...the FCI recognized them in 2002. The AKC said if the GSDCA agrees to no longer register the whites, that is where we can begin to really seperate.

Honestly...the only reason I want the AKC recognition is because I want the FCI recognition...it would make moving lines alot easier.

~Cate

Members online

No members online now.