Need some decorating advice.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So, I've finally decided that I need to actually decorate our apartment, and I've started shopping for color swatches of paint, deciding what type of theme I would like for the rooms, etc.

I'd like some input on our entryway.

This is what it looks like right now.

Entryway by laurenscoombs, on Flickr

I'd like to get rid of the dog organizer on the wall (it was a present and I actually like it a lot, but it's not very...decorative, I guess. I will probably hang it in my bedroom on the door instead, for treats and such.

I'd like to put in something like this along the left wall, to put shoes in, a key bowl on, etc.

And I feel like I can find one with the larger cubby spaces, and then put a nice storage container in it with leashes and such for the dogs.
Not this design, but something like this...

and then I can still have all the dog stuff at the ready, but it will be less in your face.

Other than that, I'm having a hard time deciding on things like color (it's already small, and I don't want it to seem any smaller by making it dark!) and just general ideas for decorations that look like and take up some wall space?

I really need to get another area rug for right inside to help with keeping the carpet clean. And I'd like to hang a picture or SOMETHING over that atrocious grey box on the right.

The whole house is going to be pretty simple in decoration, nothing crazy. I am a big fan of simple, lightly colored rooms.

P.S. the wheels and car suspension will be leaving. Soon. lol

I'd love to see what everyone else has in their entryways as well, so I can steal all of your ideas :p

CaliTerp07

Ikea has exactly the shelving you're looking for. I think Fran has it in her apartment pictures, with drawers and everything just like you're looking for.

Here is our entry way. It's a much smaller area than yours, and there are windows all around so it's naturally brighter. The hooks were all there when we bought the house, as the previous owners had young children and they hung their school stuff their the night before. I LOVE THE HOOKS. Hooks are awesome. I have my school bag, my badge, my car keys, my umbrella, and in the winter my coat, RIGHT THERE. I never forget my badge anymore.

On the right are these glass corner shelves we bought at bed bath and beyond. I like them because it's a small area, so the glass gives the illusion of not taking up any space. We use them for all Lucy's leashes and harnesses and poop bags in the red basket, and our "must not forget to take" pile of mail to go in the mail box, something to go to work, something to put in the car, etc.

Slightly different view from halfway up the stairs. Sorry for the crummy cell phone pics--it's what I had easily accessible.

I think for yours, I'd paint it a soft yellow or neutral tan--something to give it a little color, but not be like "HELLO THIS IS OUR APARTMENT!!!".

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I think if you're going to use a shelf like that to store shoes in, you should get little fabric or basket bins to put them in (hide them out of the way).

We have a foyer table on one side of our entrance hallway, and a mirror hung above it that faces the other side of the hallway. It gives the illusion of more space. We use the drawer for things like keys, etc.

Hard to tell in this light, but we have pictures on the wall opposite of the fower table. We also have an arch in the wall on the left that goes in about 3".

We have those dog butt leash holders from Ikea to the right of the front door.

Here's a photo of our entry way. Room is blue because of our fish tank :p :

photo-48 by Chihuahuaesque, on Flickr

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I don't have a picture of our entryway, but we just got this a couple weeks ago:
http://www.homfurniture.com/Online/Home/Store/Product_708532_

We stick our shoes in the wicker baskets (we'll probably have to rotate as seasons change) and one of the drawers holds the dog collars/leashes. Which is nice because before I was just hanging them on coat hooks, which just looked cluttered. But yeah it keeps them nice and handy, yet out of the way.

For color I agree I'd probably just do some sort of neutral tan.

GipsyQueen

This is our entry way... so we are kind of in the same boat as you.
We have a shoe rack infront of our apartment door kindof like the one you want though :) So inside we have a small dresser thing that I'm planning on painting as soon as I get around to it (and figure out which color ;) )

Ack, I have no idea why the picture is showing up on it's side. :(

Locke

Ikea has a really great shelving unit and different styles of baskets that fits what you're looking for. I just bought one over the weekend because my sister has one and it's perfect for shoes, dog stuff, hats/gloves in the winter, etc.

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90116275/

It can be turned horizontally and there are little legs you can buy to attach to it if you want it raised off the floor.

In regards to colour, I like really light grey or a very light taupe. The grey keeps the space bright and light, but adds some depth. You can choose from a wide range of greys too. Some that lean more to the blue side or green side, etc. Taupe will make the room warm and inviting.

Members online

No members online now.