Vibes for Penny.

Barbara!

So last night, I went to go put Penny away for bed and noticed she has a very thick, goopy brown/red liquid coming out of her vagina.. I knew she was due for a heat, but I also knew this wasn't normal. She is 12 years old and we rescued her from my boyfriends family at about 10 years old, and haven't gotten her spayed, yet. It was something we planned to do because I knew what she was at risk of... So I called my vet, and he met me this morning at the office and confirmed my worst fears...

Penny has open pyometra. I am SO glad that it's not closed pyometra (because closed is much worse), but I am still upset that even though I KNEW this was a huge risk for her... I didn't get it done. I could kick myself a million times. She gets spayed in the morning and then put on an antibiotic cycle. He thinks she will be okay, but you know only my mind can think the worse.

Prayers/thoughts/vibes for my feisty girl, please.

chaospony

:vibes for Penny:

My previous Afghan girl had it when she was around 11 and she had a speedy recovery.
I'm sure Penny will be right as rain soon.

Barbara!

Thanks guys!

I think most of my worry is from reading everything I can find from Googling "pyometra".. Never believe the Internet.

The vet said she should be fine because she was barking and having a good ole' hooplah while in the exam room, and he said that's highly unusual for this stage of pyometra. So he thinks she will be just fine. Won't stop me from being a ball of nerves until she is fine, though.

thehoundgirl

It's good you caught it in time. Pyometra is horrible. :( Sending good vibes that the spay goes well and the antibiodics get rid of it.

Wishes for a speedy recovery sent!

We've done several pyo-spays at the clinic where I work and all the bitches have recovered well!

Barbara!

Thanks guys!

She made it through the surgery. The vet said it was pretty bad... And she may have been dead in a few days. ): So glad we caught it. I may be going to pick her up today, but now it is up to the antibiotics to get the rest.

Barbara!

Update:

Penny popped open her stitches... I had to rush her to the vet again and he had to put her under and redo them. He is going to keep her until at least Friday...

She is such a trouble maker.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I feel your pain, i had a lab that did that over and over again, all I did was worry. Vibes for Penny. My Charlie did heal up without hardly a scar which was amazing since he was black number one, and it was 80 stitches for the second and it had to heal on it's own because there was just no point in trying a third time. Be good Penny don't do it again.

Barbara!

This is why I am always so weird a d hesitant to get animals spayed. I have NEVER had a good experience with it. When Chevelle was spayed, she blew up like a balloon after an allergic reaction to the anesthetic cream and the stitches cut into her and made her bleed everywhere.. Had to rush her to the vet. Penny does this...

I had a childhood cat die after being spayed. We came home to find her dead on the floor with her guts everywhere... I was like, 10. It was pretty horrible for me.

So I am always a big giant ball of nerves when it comes to spaying animals or any kind of surgery at all... Ugh.

thehoundgirl

While it's never happened with my personal animals, it happened quite a few times at the shelter I worked at. They are all sent back with a cone (elizabethan collar). Hopefully Penny is sent with one too so she can't rip them out again. :)

Vibes and hugs we're in the same boat.
my dog was diagnosed with the same thing today(also a 12 year old) :( but the vet told us it's not safe to operate her because she is also suffering from kidney failure... gah. They're just putting her on antibiotics and seeing how she reacts.

Members online

No members online now.