Pets You Will and Will Not Own.....

mrose_s

BusterLove
Will own.
Dogs
Horses/Ponies/donkies
Cattle/Buffalo
Sheep
Maybe goats (they might be too naughty and smart for me)
Chickens/Ducks/Geese/Guinea Fowl
Rats
Pigs
Rabbits
Most Native Marsupials (not koalas) - would love to be a wildlife carer one day. Not while I have Buzzy though.
Flying foxes (as above)
Ferrets
Cats
Camel! I wanttttt
Alpaca
Snakes
Tarantulas (I've been playing with getting one for a while but my brother is terrified of spides and told me if I get one - he's getting pet frogs (my phobia))

Wouldn't own
Guinea Pigs
Mice
Small birds or birds I had to cage the majority of the time.
Lizards
Frogs

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I'd probably own most animals, but realistically I'd like to just be busy enough with my dogs to only have dogs from here on out. OH - and tortoises! When we have money I want to put a tortoise yard outside now that we live in Cali :)

Catsi

I currently live with -

2 dogs
1 cat
2 cockatiels
1 corella
6 bantam hens

I'd not choose to live with birds, although I am fond of the ones we have. I'm just not a 'bird' person... my brother and mother are naturals with birds.
Same with the cat - my brother and father are the more natural cat people.
I am definitely a dog person myself.

I wouldn't rule out more chooks in the future, because I really enjoy having them around and I'm very fond of Ruby (she doesn't sleep in the henhouse, she sleeps on top of the old dryer on the back patio).

I wouldn't rule out a cat, but I wouldn't seek one out... that's how we have ended up with our cats over the years.

Birds - I'm just not cut out to be an awesome bird owner. I do my bit in taking care of them and ensure their basic needs are met, but I don't really connect with them (these birds are not 'my' birds).

Rats appeal ever so slightly for some reason, but I'd probably not own one. Ferrets, rabbits etc are not for me. And neither are reptiles.

I'll be boring and stick with my dogs.

JacksonsMom

I think, as a kid, I wanted every animal out there too. Now... my list is pretty simple.

What I would own:

dogs
cats (and even cats are a big maybe).

LOL...

What I wouldn't:
anything else.

I'm not into reptiles or anything of the sort. Spiders, snakes, and the like... UGH no way. I have a phobia. Never cared to own a bird -- too noisy for my liking. Used to have guinea pigs and hamsters and HATED cleaning the cage. I wanted a ferret for a really long time but got over it. I'd MAYBE own a ferret in the far future -- but not really sure on that.

Definitely:
Dogs
Cats

Possibly:
Horses (I love them, but the financial aspect is not appealing)
Fish (I'd love to get into fish and fishtanks once I have the time/money)
Rabbits (Only if I could have a whole indoor/outdoor area set up - I wouldn't want them to be cooped up)

Never:
Birds (I love mine, but never again)
Rodents (I dislike cleaning cages)
Ferrets (again, the cage thing)
Reptiles (holds no thrill for me)
Livestock (just...no)
Exotics/Undomesticated (again...no)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Will own:
RATS RATS RATS!
Dogs
Cats
Fish!
Geckos
Blue Tongued Skinks (and really, any kind of skink :p)
Will prob end up with another snake at some point, corn or ball.
Gpigs!
Ryan REALLY wants a Capybara :p

Will not own:
Pretty much everything else, some by choice and some just due to living in an urban area (probably will never own another horse :()

Locke

Will own:
- dogs
- cats
- rhactodactylus gecko species

Might own:
- frog colony
- rabbit

Would like to, but will never:
- birds
- chameleon
- tortoise
- horses
- goats
- reef tank
- Llama

No desire to ever own:
- snakes
- hamsters, chinchillas, gerbils, etc.
- ferrets
- anything not fully domesticated
- other farm animals aside from horses and goats
- fish

thehoundgirl

Would own:

Dogs
Cats
Horses
Any farm animal
Guinea Pigs
Ferrets

Would not own:
Birds
Snakes
Spiders
Fish (I think they are cool but I have had a bad experience with them so no fish for me!!)

Last edited:

mkj2013

Will own:
Dogs
Horses
Livestock
Maybe a cat

Will not:
Any reptile
Fish
Birds
Rodents/rabbits/ferrets

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Animals I'd like to own but have never
Fennec fox
wallaby
reindeer
japanese dwarf squirrel

Animals I'd own - own again
Dogs
chickens
ducks
quail and other game birds
horses
goats
sheep
Freshwater aquatics
mice
cavies

NEVER again
rabbits
donkeys
llamas
snakes
caged birds of any kind
salt water aquatics
invertebrates
cats

Romy

Taxiderpy
Kat, your post got me thinking. I've never had a desire for a salt water tank, but it would be kind of rad and interesting to live with an octopus. They're just so intelligent.

It's neat to see what everybody's answers are.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Kat, your post got me thinking. I've never had a desire for a salt water tank, but it would be kind of rad and interesting to live with an octopus. They're just so intelligent.

It's neat to see what everybody's answers are.
My objection to salt water aquatics is entirely a moral one. I don't think it's right to take a wild animal minding it's own business- poison it- throw it in a baggie and fly it to the other side of the world to sit in a dentist's office or hotel lobby in the process killing 50% of the animals taken from the ocean. Currently about 90% of the world's salt water aquarium fish that make it to market are wild caught and most die a horrible death before even getting to a crappy petco tank. Not that there are any guarantees in the ocean - after all fish eat other fish all the time but certainly the ability to live their natural life cycle seems like it should be a given over living their life as a novelty item.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Oh, I wouldn't have a sugar glider either. We have a strict "one vagina per being" rule here.
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? :yikes:

I would own a:
Dog, obviously! Dogs will always come first, in priorities. I'll only add other animals when I have all the dogs I want.
Betta, obviously! They have individual personalities and can be some of the most gorgeous creatures on earth. I resent comparing them to plants. -_-
Horse, I used to lease horses. I really want a Norwegian Fjord.
Mini Donkey, my dream is to have a herd of Minidonks.
Goat, I love goats... I used to do 4H with goats.
Rabbit, they really remind me of cuddly, tiny horses. They're amazing!
Munchkin Cat, because they're super adorable and friendly. I have no desire to own a "cat like" cat.
Capybara, amazing! But I know I'll never own one.
Tamandua (Anteater), I know an awesome lady who has Anteaters and dresses them in sweaters. They seem so peaceful and awesome. I'm sure I'll never own one but I would love to.

I wouldn't own a:
Pig or cow, gross.
Cat, that acts like a standard cat. I don't care for clawing, biting, scratching up furniture/carpet, and scratching my dogs. And I would have a heart attack if I owned an outside cat. I like friend and family cats fine, but I don't want one.
Birds, getting bitten by a bird HURTS, especially a parrot and I find them unpredictable. Also attract moths and are gross to clean up after.
Reptiles, they just seem like they want to eat you. I can't stand the way reptiles move.
Fish, besides Bettas. I have a giant Goldfish named Enrique (who was tiny when I won him at the fair) and he's so brainless. I love him, but it's annoying to have to give him a huge, filtered tank. I find that most fish are too demanding and/or really stupid and just swim back and fourth.
Rat/mouse/hamster/rodent, they gross me out, even though they're cute and I know they can be good pets. Just not for me.
Guinea Pig, they're way too skittish.
Ferret, I loved our family ferrets, but they were always getting into trouble and they STUNK even though they were descented and got baths all the time. Ewwwy. They're amazingly smart, too smart. One of ours got out the back door, and I chased him all the way to a small hole in the fence and watched him prance around in the neighbor's yard. Just when I was about to go to their door, he came back through the hole and wanted back inside! Little d-bag! Our ferrets also broke into our leopard gecko tank and dismembered them, leaving body parts in little hiding spots around the house. UGH. Entertaining, but annoying, and they are definitely predators.
Hedgehog, yuck. My friend had one and his stomach was sticky!!! Wtf.
Chinchilla/Sugarglider, very very cute.... but too much work and special needs.

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Would own:
•Dogs.
•Cats.
•Fish.

Would not own:
•Rodents of any kind.
•Any other kind of small animal like a ferret.
•Reptiles.
•Birds.

Dogs6

Plus One
I would own:
Dogs
Cats
Horses/ponies
Goats
Fish
Chickens
Certain breeds of cattle
I would love a large aviary filled with canaries and such but that's more wishful thinking than anything else lol.

Would not have:
Anything that has to be in a tank/ cage, just because I'm lazy and hate cleaning them.
Any reptiles
Anything else lol

Would Own
Dogs
Cats
Freshwater Fish
Reptiles
Horses
Cows
Maybe goats

Would not own
Birds of any kind
Sheep
saltwater fish
Rabbits
Most small rodents - Not that I have anything against them, their lifespan is just too short.

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Personally, I'd own pretty much anything. I'm more of a fan of larger animals that I can interact with though.

I love rats, and to me they are way cooler then mice/gerbils/hamsters.
Hermit crabs.... I don't really see the point to them. They're not that interesting to watch and I have no desire to hold one
I mean, I could see myself becoming one of those people that rehabilitate or take care of baby lions, tigers... etc.

K

Kaydee

Let me think, now I'm older I get critters for me not for the kids...of course word to the wise for those of you with families just starting out-ANY pet you "get for the kids" is going to be YOURS more or less. Choose wisely, if you're actually uncomfortable with rodents or lizards or anything else don't let the begging and pleading get to you. Most children will not do full pet care till maybe ten years old.

The only critters I would not have are;
Rabbits- So sweet and adorable as baby bunnies then they turn into huge lean mean pooping machines, chomped the wood off a baseboard outside the cage too.

Snakes-I love rodents much too much to use them as food

Some animals I would definitely have;
Always dogs and cats
Rats are terrific!
Hedgehogs and Sugar Gliders are adorable, never had one though
Chinchillas are beautiful and can be tamed
Lizards-I would have a few in a natural enviroment cage. Very cool to watch.

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
This is a hard list for me. Really, I am open to mostly whatever when it comes to pets. Even the "probably not" ones I am still interested in... but wouldn't really seek out for various reasons.

Definitely yes:
Dogs
Cats
Sugar gliders
Snakes
Rats

Probably no:
All other rodents (why bother when there are rats?)
Ferrets (always wanted one, but wouldn't fit our household)
Chinchillas (same as ferrets)
Birds (same as ferrets/chinchillas)
Saltwater Fish (like the idea, but the investment is huge for a non-interactive pet)

Definitely NOT:
Spiders (*shudder*)

Members online

No members online now.