Finding a Good Cat Breeder

irenafarm

Herd. Protect. Love.
So, I just had a great idea for my husband for a surprise. Before you panic, we are total pet oriented people and a "gift" of a pet means a 150% commitment, not an impulse buy.

Anyway, he has put up with my dog nonsense for years, so I thought a neat 15 year anniversary present would be a special kitty. He's a huge cat person, but our kitties, mostly his babies, have been aging out and passing away the last couple years. I got him a kitten adopted straight off the street, about three years ago, and that kitty is wonderful, but he's really social and would love a buddy.

Patrick adores the look of the Scottish folds, and our current cat's personality would mesh well with the typical personality I've read and heard of.

First, is there any chance of getting a Scottish fold cat or kitten through rescue? Do cats have breed rescue like dogs?

Second, if I were looking for a reputable dog breeder, I'd know how to procede. What are some tips for finding a responsible breeder of cats?

I can't believe I'm actually considering this, with all the kitties that need homes out there, but Patrick has given so much, and for rescue, too - this is going to be SO special if it works out!:cool:

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Yes there are many purebred cat rescue groups. The operate pretty much the same as purbreed dog rescue groups. To be honest, finding Folds may not be that easy. They aren't exactly heavily bred.

You would expect the same things from a cat breeder as you would expect from a dog breeder, including a contract. Their cats should be registered in CFA, TICA, CFA, etc. There are several different show circuits so registries can vary and be multiple.

Here is a Scottish Fold Breeder Referral site. They also deal in rescues.
http://www.breedlist.com/scottish-fold-breeders.html

You should know that SF's can have specific medical issues if they are not bred carefully. If two folds are bred together they are prone to some very painful joint issues that are very similar to severe arthritis, including fused joints, so beware. Finding an honest breeder is paramount or you are in for one very expensive vet ride.
The GCCF does not accept Folds in their registry, unless something has changed when I wasn't looking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governing_Council_of_the_Cat_Fancy

Folds are not among my favorites because there are quarters where they are perceived as having a deliberately bred defect...aka their ears.

irenafarm

Herd. Protect. Love.
Thanks!

It looks like, although there aren't that many breeders, the ones that are out there have a need for pet homes because a responsibly bred litter has so many straight ears. I don't mind straight ears - I have a friend with one and I find them more attractive, actually. It's the big eyes and the set of them, and the chunky body - so cute!

Don't forget I have a dog that is a breed with a deliberately bred defect - a Chinese crested! So, the more the merrier. That makes me very sensitive to the issues of looking for a pet among the ranks of a breed that emphasizes a dominant mutation. And my Scottish dogs would like a Scottish cat, I think. :lol-sign:

I have about nine months to figure this out - and come up with the money, whether I can find a rescue or have to go the breeder route!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
You're welcome, Irena. If you don't mind the straight ears, you can probably get one from a good breeder at a far more reasonable price. SF's can be pricey. But you know that if the breeder has some straight eared kitties, they are doing it the right way by not breeding two fold ears.

irenafarm

Herd. Protect. Love.
Oops. . North Carolina. I thought that showed up in my siggy but not always, i guess, lol.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Yes it does, sorry. I was location at the "Location" area at the upper right hand corner of your posts.

I will check on N. Carolina for you.

irenafarm

Herd. Protect. Love.
Wow, thanks - wonderful! Looks like they have "retired" kitties too. I'll start chatting with this person and see where it goes.

Thank you again!

Members online

No members online now.