What supplements required or safe? Seameal?

tony_hk

Background of 99: male, desex, 6-month-old, feeding Innova Puppy

History of 99: He was mistakenly fed with a bad quality commercial dry food, which was promoted by the pet shop, until 4.5-month-old. His coat at that time was weak, dull and thin. I therefore immediately shifted to Innova Puppy. After that, I found much improvement on his coat in 1.5-month time. I also saw some short, shinny, darker and thicker coat growing out. Thanks god.

Here is a pic taken last night:

As you can see from the photo above, his coat is still weak and not thick enough comparing to this:

All my friends told me to clip out all his coat, then the new one will become thicker and stronger. I do not believe in that and I cannot accpet his odd look when all his hair is gone.

I assume that his coat will become strong when he grows up. But I would like to know if ther is any supplement which is useful and without side effect to facilitate the improvement. I was told that some coat improving agents which is usually used on show dogs are unhealthy. I am currently feeding 99 with NaturVet Kelp Help which is also recommended by the pet shop and therefore I have to suspect that it is a good one. I fed him with 1/2 spoon per meal, two meal per day.

Ingredients:

Dried Norwegian Kelp, Ground Flax Seed, Processed Grain By-Products, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dried Beef Liver, Mixed Tocopherols (natural preservatives), Ferrous Carbonate, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Acetate (d-Alpha Tocopheryl), Vitamin A Acetate, Niacin, Cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D-3), Zinc Sulfate, Riboflavin, Copper Carbonate, Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B-12), Silica Aerogel, Vegetable Oil, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Lecithin and Rosemary Extract.

Now the NuturVet is almost finished and I am thinking of others. Any recommendation to improve 99's coat in a healthy way? Any product recommended? Or any elements/ vitamins I should looking for?

BTW, are supplements actually required for a healthy dog fed with a quality dry food?

Tks alot...

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Salmon oil and vitamin e? Also, not two dogs are alike... you may try to achieve a certain look and never get it...

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I think the SeaMeal would be a better choice than the Kelp Help you're currently using, but keep in mind that 99 is still a puppy. His coat isn't going to be as thick as it will be when he's older. Also, the grey dog in the picture was "blown out" with a forced air hose or blow dryer. That will make the coat look much thicker as well, since it is fluffy and loose, not tight and wavy.

tony_hk

Salmon oil and vitamin e? Also, not two dogs are alike... you may try to achieve a certain look and never get it...
Tks. I just spent 3 hours to read through all pages and I found the same answer. Salmon oil and vitamin E. But seems that it will be a costy option. Salmon oil is fine, but as I remember the price for a bottle of vitamin e is very high.

tony_hk

I think the SeaMeal would be a better choice than the Kelp Help you're currently using, but keep in mind that 99 is still a puppy. His coat isn't going to be as thick as it will be when he's older. Also, the grey dog in the picture was "blown out" with a forced air hose or blow dryer. That will make the coat look much thicker as well, since it is fluffy and loose, not tight and wavy.
Tks Zoom. I was also thinking the same, let's wait and see.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Honestly, if you are already feeding a high quality premium food such as Innova a supplement shouldn't be needed IMO :) However, my ACD gets plain organic yogurt and 100% pure pumpkin mixed into his food. Sometimes I also cook for him as well :D

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
After half day of research, I am about to buy the Grizzly Salmon Oil. But is Vitamin E required ?
Required? No. Neither is the salmon oil. We get the Vit. E in capsules and it is not expensive at all.

And Banzai and Bella get Innova and they get supplements, including eggs, cottage cheese and fresh veggies, salmon oil and vitamin E. Banzai's coat is absolutely gorgeous and I wouldn't have it any other way (in other words, not feeding the supplements). :D

Good luck!

tony_hk

Just got the following reply from GRIZZLY:

------------
Tony,

Thank you for your email and for choosing Grizzly Salmon Oil. Additional Vitamin E is not necessary for your dog to get the benefits of the Omega 3's and 6's in the salmon oil. Vitamin E is naturally in our product, typical figures for our Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil are 70 - 120 mg/kg. The Rosemary Extract in the oil is used as a natural preservative and actually does a better protection (multilevel) against fatty acid oxidation than vitamin E (tocopherols).

Best Regards,
Brandi Rickard
Grizzly Pet Products
-------------

Any comment?

showpug

You may want to consider a raw egg a few times a week as well added to the kibble. That can help a lot as well...

I also wanted to add that I agree with Zoom. The picture of the gray poodle is of a dog that has been professionally groomed and his hair has been teased and blown out to get that full & fluffy appearance. If you take your pup to a professional groomer, he would come home looking very similar.

daaqa

lurking near the surface
but keep in mind that 99 is still a puppy. His coat isn't going to be as thick as it will be when he's older. Also, the grey dog in the picture was "blown out" with a forced air hose or blow dryer. That will make the coat look much thicker as well, since it is fluffy and loose, not tight and wavy.
definately something to keep in mind. if you are loving your dog and feeding it properly [which it sounds like you are already doing], i wouldn't stress about having a particular coat. not all dogs in the same breed have the exact same look. the most gorgeous poodle i know has this gorgeous, shiny, wavy hair, not so much curly or puffed out.

Members online

No members online now.