Help! premature litters death puppies

My cousing's Shar pei had a litter of 5 puppies and they born premature.

She gave birth a week before they where supposed to born.

The puppies in the backyard at night, when my cousing saw her they where 3 puppies and the born death :(

She took the pei inside and she gave birth to another 2 and this ones where and drink milk well, but today in the morning one had problems breathing and he died, now the last one has breathing problems too, and she don't whant to nurse.

The vets here don't open on sundays, less at night.
So my cousing is doing her best to keep the puppy alive and warm until tomorrow when the vet is opened.

I came to ask some help for My cousing's dog, since she's not a member of this forum 'cause she can't speech english well, but she whants to know if the reason of the premature birth was that her brother when she wasen't home gave a bath of cold water to the dog, and the next day she gave birth to the puppies.

This is so sad, first she purshased a dog that was sick http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53940 and later this happened.

Or maybe it was the other dog that contaminaed the female dog?

*Edit* forgot to add, like 14 years ago a fried gave to my cousing 2 newborm puppies the mother died but she took care of them, and they survived, so she had the experience of taking care of newborn puppies before.

Last edited:

noludoru

Bored Now.
I doubt it was the bath, unless he bathed her in poison or something. I've known bitches who've jumped in freezing streams when they looked about to pop and came out fine. The breathing problems of the puppies have NOTHING to do with a bath.

Doberluv

Oh, that is so sad. They just weren't developed enough. The lungs are the last thing to develop, right before birth and since they were early, probably they just weren't right. Or maybe something wasn't right with them in the first place and that's why they came early. It's a shame they weren't under more direct care from a vet. I hope that the one remaining pup will be OK. And the mother.

So the bath wasen't the reason? is good to know.

Like Doveluv said, maybe the premature birth was problably too mush for the litter, other of my two teories are:

I rember some breeds like the bulldog can have a scar in the palate when they born, they can't breath and they die in days, maybe the puppies had this?

Or a disease that I'm not shure how is called in english but litery from spanish is "kennel cough "

I'm goin to call my cousing in the afthernoon to see what the vet told her.

Well I just talked whit her, she took the puppy and the mother to two different vets.

One said to give antibiotics (amoxicilin) and condensed milk to the puppy and the mother.

The other one said that the previus vet was wrong and to don't give antibiotics to the puppy since is too young, also to don't give to the mother.

What do you guys think?

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Honestly, it sounds like their lungs weren't developed and there really isn't much you can do except hope. Im sorry to hear about the puppies. It is an unfortunate situation.

Well the mother and the puppy are better.

The mom got an antibiotics shot, but we found out antibiotics are dangerus for puppies under 8 weeks, so the vet recomended a little of the condenced milk.

He's better for now, I hope he can stay that way. ;)

Members online

No members online now.