Cat Portrait

Draker

My cat portrait. First stages in the painting. Thought I'd post the drawing stage first before I take the next step in applying paint and colored pencil. Critiques are welcome.

Brandyb

Wow! Exceptional work, I love your style! Great lines, wonderful texture created already!!! Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
It's beautiful! I love it! Excellent capture of expression!

skyeboxer

Oh my! That is beautiful. You asked for critiques and bearing in mind I am no artist, I looked very hard to pick on something. All I can say is that perhaps the paws are too blocky. From face to elbows everything has a cat's natural grace and bend but elbows to feet are less ... finished and soft.

My cats paws are delicate, soft and in the contemplative mood of your cat in the picture, definately the paws would be relaxed.

I feel guilty just picking on anything about that picture though. I wish I had your talent.

Draker

Thanks everyone.

Thank you everyone so far on your comments. I appreciate them.

Skyeboxer: I see what your saying about the feet. I agree with you to some degree. I think I'll soften the corners a bit, but I believe once I start applying the color in layers you'll start to see a softer look to his feet. Great eye for detail though...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Nothing pleases me more then to see a work in progress. This stands quite well on it's own as a black and white. I can't wait to see where you take it next.:D

Draker

Ranger the dog.

A sketch I did of my in-laws dog, Ranger. One year old golden lab. Great dog. We all enjoy him.

Acrylic and colored pencil on watercolor paper.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I love the blue accent line, sets the yellow coat off. WOnderful work!!! Did you study art in college?

Draker

Thank you.
Yes, smkie: I graduated from art school. I also do artwork professionally. Cover artwork for various publishers. Mostly people orientated. But sometimes I paint and draw animals for my personal enjoyment.

Members online