Labramen?

I think we have found one of the best mix's ever. My dog Hooch was a Chocolate Lab mix with Doberman. His mom was a Lab and his dad was a Doby. These dogs are so great with kids, gentle, they listen and they're easy to train. And at the same time they will protect like crazy. His temperment was so great, and im lucky to have two of his son's still with me. Does anyone else have a Doby Lab mix? plz tell and show pix

Herschel

...And they're non-shedding and the smartest dogs ever...and they will never get sick because of hybrid vigor...and they learn super fast...and...

:)

Glad you love your dog, but did you breed him?

yes that is tru... and i there were ppl that were driving by my house and saw a sign next door, my neighbor was selling lab pups. The ppl had a female chocolate lab and saw the sign and thought it was for my house. They saw my dog and insisted that we let them leave thier female for two weeks. My parents and i were a little shocked but they wouldnt take no for an answer. And well those pups came out great. I had pics but i cant find them anymore. My dogs genes seemed to dominate the pool. They were great pups we were told.
I on the other hand had a white german shepard mix, and she went into heat, we kept them apart forever and one day he got to her and that was all it took. 8 pups in all, and all were exactly like him, so great, but all black and two yellow. Body build more of a Doby somewut i guess but look just like labs. I kept the two sons both yellow, my guy boozer is on my profile pic

Toller_08

I'm sure your dog was great, but his temperament just by how you described him doesn't sound any different from my purebred Doberman or any other Dobie that I know for that matter (and I do know a lot).

In my opinion, deliberately mixing two or more breeds together nowadays when you could easily find a (well bred) purebred from a reputable breeder with your desired temperament is wrong. There isn't any reason for it all...

I'm not meaning to sound rude, but it's the truth. I'm glad you love your dog and I'm sure he aswell as his sons are/were absolutely wonderful..but I hope you won't breed again :).

Cole's Mom

Dobe Lover
I'm sure your dog was great, but his temperament just by how you described him doesn't sound any different from my purebred Doberman or any other Dobie that I know for that matter (and I do know a lot).

In my opinion, deliberately mixing two or more breeds together nowadays when you could easily find a (well bred) purebred from a reputable breeder with your desired temperament is wrong. There isn't any reason for it all...

I'm not meaning to sound rude, but it's the truth. I'm glad you love your dog and I'm sure he aswell as his sons are/were absolutely wonderful..but I hope you won't breed again :).
I agree. I have a dobe and he is exactly what is described by the initial poster. He even let a 2 yr old toddler that he did not even know walk right up to him and plant a big kiss on the lips! Dobes are great dogs and you do not need to add another breed to the mix to get a fun-loving, easy to train, family oriented dog.

The statement about never getting sick is not true. These mixes will inherit the bad genes from both breeds as well as the good ones. Some pups could inherit all the bads ones from both breeds and none of the good. It is a toss up.

Cole's Mom

Boemy

I think a labrador and a doberman would be a bad choice to breed together (not that I support any kind of mixed breeding unless there's a clearly defined purpose, i.e. trying to achieve the ultimate sled dog.)

Labradors are very friendly towards everyone. They were not bred to be watchdogs.

Dobermans were bred to make decisions on who is friend and foe and act accordingly. They have strong protection instincts.

So I think you'd run a risk of getting a dog who isn't good at judging friend vs. foe, yet who has very strong guarding and protection instincts. Bad baaad combination.

I hope you informed the people who got your labrador / doberman puppies that dobermans can sometimes be aggressive towards dogs of the same sex and that the puppies might have inherited that trait.

Regarding your mixed breed german shepherd, if you spay her then you can be 100% certain she won't have any more "oops" litters, plus you won't have to keep her away from male dogs any more.

Members online

No members online now.