Should I be doing this?

McKenzie

HI, I'm a stay at home mom and my son is 19 months. I have been doing tons of research on the dog that I want including talking with my vet, talking to training schools and of course the breeder. I understand that it is going to be hard work with or without having a small child. This morning I was talking with a man that put down my choice of dog because he wasn't a purebred and then told me I shouldn't have a dog until my son was 6. I don't want to put the money, time and effort into getting a puppy if I'm doomed straight from the beginning. What do you think, can it be done?

moxiegrl

Yes it can...especially when someone is willing to put the work in. Its not going to be easy, but you sound like you are definitly on the right path...Get used to supervising, and teaching not only the dog, but your son, how to treat each other. Thats my opinion anyway. :) Good luck and keep us informed.

BTW welcome to chaz :)

otch1

Hello... read your previous posts and sounds like you're getting a Boston! Fun dogs. (Very busy/active though) Since you're in an apartment, and have a balcony, make sure you have approriate confinement, crate, pen, or babygate kitchen and accustom pup to being alone for short periods asap. Barking can be a problem in apts. Get enrolled in puppy class as soon as your pups old enough and continue onto next level of training when finished. Don't stop at puppy kindergarden classes, especially when you have a very young child. Bostons can have a stubborn steak and tend to "rule the roost" when allowed. As young as your child is, keep child and puppy seperated. You'd be amazed at how quickly a puppy can scratch a childs eye, grab ahold of a lip, or ear while just checking baby out. Appropriate training, confinement, equipment, socialization and a healthy puppy (really research the line you're considering for genetic issues common to this breed/respritory) and you're set! Bostons are a very charming breed!

McKenzie

Thanks, I feel such a huge weight lift from my sholders. I really really want a dog, my sweetie and I both grew up with one. I plan on crate training and im getting a dog pen for when puppy need his own space. Ive already picked a training school its the same one my mom's dog went to, trust me we plan on training, training, training. The dog that I want is a Boston Terrier x Bulldog.

bubbatd

Personally , I would stay away from the terrier group unless it was older and proven with children . That's why I love Goldens.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm going to have to second Grammy...with your boy being the age he is, terriers are probably not your best bet, nor the bulldog. I would go with something a bit older too and not as small.

L

LabBreeder

I was just wondering what kennel club the "Old Boston Bulldoge" was registered with? I can't find it on AKC or CKC (Continental Kennel Club). The only place I found it was a personal website that said there are no breed standards?
From what I've seen it's supposed to be an older version on the boston terrier. Either way...a terrier isn't the best breed to get with a small/young child. Goldens are good or a Lab if the child was a little older (and the dog is properly trained). I'd say research a few different breeds before settling on one. You want to make sure that whatever breed you choose will not end up going to a shelter due to a habit or issue it has that you didn't know about.

Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.