Anyone have a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well, that woudln't be good, we would all of our dogs to listen to both of us. That might be a problem... :(

Yes. You would have to both go to doggie class. Hey, I see you are from Fremont. I live in Dallas now but I am from Chino Hills. I miss it so much.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I hate to ask, where is Chino Hills? hehe... we moved up here in December from the Central Valley......

Well, would both of us attending training (which we would do anyways) help in that matter... or does the dog pick or chose his/her favorite?

Chino Hills is right next to Diamond Bar and Carbon Canyon. It borders Ontario as well. I am home all day so the dogs bonded with me. I am the primary care giver. If you go to dog class together, it will be much better. Also, join a Rhodesian Ridgeback club in your area. Most of these people are experienced and can offer a lot of advise. It is fun to see all the Ridgebacks together.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Thanks :) we'll see how our search goes.. we plan to rescue. I appreciate the help and I'll come back to ya if I have any more questions.

check out www.rrcus.org. This is the major nation wide Rhodesian Ridgeback Club. There will be a link up top for rescue. There are two major rescue groups that you can take a look at the dog that are adoptable. There is also the best info on the website about the dogs. I would get in contact with one of foster moms. Take a look at some of the dogs and see if this is the right breed for you. I dont think you will be disappointed. If you decide to go with a breeder, I would use one of the breeders on that website.

logo

i have a three year old male ridgeless ridgeback. keep in mind that ridgeless pups are available, and are usually significantly reduced in price because they have a dq. males are 'a little bigger, a little dumber, and a little sweeter' than females. females tend to be more manipulative, altho logan has plenty of that. logan is 29'' at the shoulder at 100 lbs, he is bigger than the standard recommends. the difference between males and females in height and weight is significant... males in the 80's and 90's, females in the 70's and 80's.

ridgebacks are large dogs, naturally protective, and love being with their people 24/7. he is extremely food-driven... most hounds are. they are independent thinkers, *can be* difficult to train, and dont have a lot of desire to please their owner. logan would walk all over this joint if he didnt have a firm, consistent momma running the show. they do countersurf, and steal food, but as with anything, *can be taught not to.* they have ridiculously high prey drive, anything that moves away from them, they chase.

however, socialization is key. if you dont socialize LOTS, you could have a serious problem on your hands. ridgebacks get along with most dogs and other animals if raised and socialized with them. you must be prepared with 'aloofness' both toward strange people and strange dogs. as in, the dog acts as though he doesnt want much to do with this person and walks away from them.

they dont bark much, but are very vocal in the whining, grumbly noises department. also remember that there is a continuum.... there are friendly outgoing and very aloof ridgebacks, ridgebacks with obedience titles and ridgebacks that hate OB, ridgebacks that are confident and ridgebacks that are insecure. each individual dog is different.

overall, they are nice, laid-back, sleepy dogs in-house, and athletic, rough-n-tumble, amazing powerhouse runners outdoors. their blood is mostly hottentot, mastiff, pointer, greyhound, stagghound, and possibly dane and bloodhound.

things i have struggled with and had to work through with logan: being a little unsure in new situations even with proper socialization, being not quite confident when meeting new people and dogs, having very bad separation anxiety (i work full-time), hating obedience, ibs.

logan is very protective. you must also be prepared for a breed that is very discriminating as to who he likes, who he will listen to, and who he will not tolerate.

i say look at rrcus, talk to breeders, and meet dogs. i would expect to pay to pay at least 800-1k for a pet quality pup... and 1-2k for show quality.

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
I have met a few ridgebacks and I just have to say that they seem like really lovely dogs. There's an old female one that I come across at the dog park regularly and she is so laid back and greets everyone. If I had the space I'd love to own one in the future.

Here in Texas they are a lot cheaper because they are a little more popular. Both mine are show quality $650 for Puma and $450 for Scout. They can get really expensive though. I have seen them go for $3000. Puma gets seperation anxiety if I go on vacation. She goes with us now. Havent had any problem being unsure. Puma is a little hard headed but Scout was a breeze. My Lab was more aggressive and more work. I am also a long distance runner and take the dogs with me. They get lots of exercise which is key.

I wouldnt recommend it. Just because they can be a little harder to train. I am talking about if you get a pup. Just because of the jumping. I have a 9 year old. They are ok with him. But they jumped on him in the beginning. Also, there are two different breed standards in them. AkC and CKC. AKC is a lot slimmer. Bitches 65lbs to 75lbs Dogs, not over 80lbs. CKC has a much of stocky look and weighs more. I prefer the AKC look. My females are between 70-73lbs. This is the hard part though. Most breeders are AKC registered but they have the CKC look. If the breeder shows AKC then they will have that standard. I looked at many puppies and it was hard to find AKC standard. These two standards have totally different looks. They are suppose to look slendor. CKC look a lot more mastiff to me. But they are still great dogs.

Hello Buddy's Parent,

We have had many ridgebacks in the past, they are a bit stubborn to train in the begining, but be patient. They are natural gaurd dogs, great with children, and very much "Velcro" dogs, they follow you everywhere, even sit by the loo door waiting for you.

It is not a breed to be left alone at home all day long, it requires human contact, otherwise they can become fairly destructive. The Bitch is more of the handful than the dog, and loves to hunt.

If you do decide to buy a RR, make sure you buy from a good breeder, and check the hipscore of the parents, this could save you huge medical bills.

Depending on the application you intend to use your RR, the only negative thing about Ridgebacks is they will eat food from almost everyone, and if you intend them to gaurd/protect your livestock/farm, ect, you will need to train them not to eat from anyone except your family, otherwise they could easily be poisoned by intruders with raw meat and 2 step poison.

rowdy ridgeback said:
I paid $650 for the older ridgeback $450 for the younger. They are both show quality dogs. Perfect ridge with no white on them. You can get them cheaper for pet quality but I really wanted nice ridges. The difference is about $100.

That is very cheap. In Europe, you will pay between in US about $2-2.500

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Wow, this thread was resurrected! LOL.

Thanks for the advice Travis, however, we did decide to not go ahead with the RR (at least not at this point in our lives).

They are gorgeous dogs and we have one that frequents the dog park that I truly admire though! :D

Members online

No members online now.