Grrr I hate buckle collars!!!

Well, everytime I try to put on Whisper's buckle collar, she pulls on the leash and there the collar goes, off her neck!! The only reason I got her a buckle collar, is so when she grows, I can readjust it. So suggestions? About what kind of collar that won't rip off her neck? That won't slip over her neck? Suggestions? Thank you for reading!

Herschel

Have you tried a martingale?

You could try teaching her to sit nicely while you are putting her leash on. Are you talking about collars with a clasp or those with a buckle (like a belt)?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
For the record, I HATE those type of quick-buckle collars. I tried one on Zeus and ditched it within a week. The slightest tug loosens that wonderful "easy-adjust" slide. You have to readjust them constantly to make them fit securely.

I'd go for a traditional buckle collar. You know, the ones that fit like a belt, with a series of holes to adjust the size. Those work much better.

Melissa_W

Those plastic buckles can also snap. She can still wear a collar like that, but you should definitely get something more sturdy for walks.

bubbatd

I've always used the rolled leather with buckles on all my Goldens . If walking , just tighten it a notch .

Toller_08

My dogs wear plastic buckle collars, but only for ID purposes. I don't walk them with anything but martingales, harnesses, or regular buckle collars (the belt like ones).

I hate those adjustable plastic clasp collars. We had one for Molly and ditched it real quick, just her scratching seemed to loosen the stupid thing. We will stick with the belt buckle type from now on.

Oh yes, and they know they can get out of this kind of collar. As a puppy puppy, they can wear them, if you don't want to buy a million collars, but when they are 6 months +. Thats a no-no. Thank you everyone for the advice! :D

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I only use plastic buckles on puppies, and well behaved dogs, and as tag collars. I have many plastic buckle collars, but I never rely on them to hold my dogs. I don't like the idea of two wimpy little bits of plastic to hold my best friends.

Wait, I take that back - Ada has a plastic buckle collar. But, it's an UpCountry collar so it's high quality, the buckle is strong, and Ada only weighs 18lbs and doesn't pull!

Members online

No members online now.