Riley's teeth

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
I have had Riley and his brother for about 3 months now and when they came to me from rescue, Riley was on prednisone for sores in his mouth (stomatitis). His breath was horrendous, so I took him in for the vet to look at his teeth. He needed another dental (whoever did it this year before I got him did a horrible job) and he had 9 teeth extracted. There was actually pus coming out from under one of his teeth! My poor baby. He's now off the pred and on an antibiotic--thank GOD!!--it was making him so aggressive with food and so hungry all the time. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has a dog with stomatitis and if you have had luck with anything other than prednisone? I just hate how it makes him act. The vet is hoping that with all that bacteria cleaned out by the dental work, his sores will heal on thier own, but they may not since it's a chronic condition. Any advice would be welcomed!

Shadow945

Wow - poor Riley - that sounds horrible. Thank goodness he found someone who will take care of his chompers properly. What did the vet tell you to use post-cleaning for general dental maintenance? I know that Bright Bites are vet recommended and have the VOHC seal.

Raika's Mom

Iggy and Kitty Mom
I'm supposed to swab ora-vet on his teeth once a week and I put aqua-dent in their water every day. He has felt SO much better since he came home. He's playful and happy, chewing on toys which he NEVER did before, and I got my first Riley kiss since I've had him. Poor thing. I don't think he could even move his mouth without pain. I'm so glad I had it done. My wallet isn't, but it will recover eventually.:)

Shadow945

Aww - well i'm glad he is doing better! I was reading the Dental Notes on the Bright Bites website and it says "It is important to take care of your pet’s teeth because if teeth are lost or your pet develops dental disease, it not only affects his ability to chew, but can also cause significant health problems in other places in his body."

So it's a good thing you fixed his teeth now - it could have led to other health problems!

Members online

No members online now.