Best Breed for Competitive Obedience?

Fandogg

Obviously there is no "best" breed of competitive obedience. However what dog commonly does the best in it?

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
This is just a hunch but Poodles probley or Goldens there was a survey done awhile ago on tv and they were rated among the highest in intellegence. So im assuming if trained well they would excel in competitive obedience.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
I've seen a lot of border collies, and labs in those comps on tv. I think sunny would excel so aussies would make my list but I bet there is a site somewhere that would say. I will have to look into that. .

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
Not coming up with "best" but some of the list were weimeraner, border collie, aussie, lab, shelties,spaniels and westies . sorry,that doesn't narrow it down does it. The one site said almost any dog can compete and be excellent at obediance. If you are going for a spacific type like herding or hunting the obvious choices are borders and labs respectively. Sorry not much help.

Sunnypup

mostly ignored...
I bet they would do awesome, just like labs in hunting comps and other stuff too. Goldens are the BEST :) (next to sunny of course ... he just pouted at me :D )

bubbatd

Yes, the goldens were the # 1 in obedience...I don't know where they stand today. The MerryMac line was the 1st in the obedience hall of fame ....back in the 60s...Bubba's grandmother was of that line.

bubbatd

p.s. I thought you were interested in agility !? It takes the right dog, the right trainer and handler to do well in anything. You cannot pick a breed and expect top ribbons. Wouldn't you just rather have a great dog you love and who loves you and just have fun ???

candy722

Yeah I noticed it's usually the bigger dogs. They say bigger dogs have bigger brains so they are smarter. But I think my little one is very smart.

Husky626

Why is that I haven't seen any huskies in those competitions?? Like the Eukanuba tournament, or is it that i just missed it? My mom watches it with me and she also say why isn't husky participating in these events?( my mom just love huskies and so do i :) )

bubbatd

I don't know. I've only seen competition here in IN.....never seen a Husky. Maybe it's too hot and stressful for them. They have to enjoy what they're doing.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
papillions do really great in obedience. i know, they are just little dogs, but don't underestimate them.

avenlee

Sunnypup said:
Not coming up with "best" but some of the list were weimeraner, border collie, aussie, lab, shelties,spaniels and westies . sorry,that doesn't narrow it down does it. The one site said almost any dog can compete and be excellent at obediance. If you are going for a spacific type like herding or hunting the obvious choices are borders and labs respectively. Sorry not much help.
hmmm spaniels and westies LOL They must have not dealt with my two girls! Sadie couldn't find her way out of a paperbag, God love her! and Nora has a mind of her own.

avenlee

bubbatd said:
p.s. I thought you were interested in agility !? It takes the right dog, the right trainer and handler to do well in anything. You cannot pick a breed and expect top ribbons. Wouldn't you just rather have a great dog you love and who loves you and just have fun ???

I second that bubba.

maui

Husky626 said:
Why is that I haven't seen any huskies in those competitions?? Like the Eukanuba tournament, or is it that i just missed it? My mom watches it with me and she also say why isn't husky participating in these events?( my mom just love huskies and so do i :) )

The Euk tournament is edited. (The one on New Years Day) If you look closely, there are a lot of dogs in each group, only a few are shown on TV. It's why I've stopped watching it.

Doberluv

On an intelligence study I saw, the top 10 for picking up new commands the quickest (with the fewest repititions) and learning new words the quickest were, if I remember correctly:

1)Border Collie
2)Poodle
3) GSD
4)Golden Retriever
5)Doberman Pinscher
6)Sheltie
7)Lab
8)Rottweiler
9)Australian Cattle Dog (I think...?) (#8&9 might be reversed)
10)Papillon

However, I don't know just how much stock to put into some of these studies. Dog DO learn in different ways and so if they're asking for something from a dog in just one way, others may not respond as well to that type of direction. Plus, if you're wanting to do agility, say....there are some which are built better for that.

Fandogg's got plenty of time to explore his options and decide on what kind of dog he wants to look for. I think these discussions are interesting and they probably are a good source of information for other people who are thinking about different dog breeds.

Fandogg

Yeah...I think I'm beginning to come around and jumping back on the Border Collie wagon. For all the stuff I want to do they are simply the best. I wish that they were a little less animal aggressive and more affectionate but no breed is perfect. The Border Collie is **** near perfect for the kind of stuff that I want to do.

Members online

No members online now.