localized demodectic mange in puppies

It is hard to take pictures of little hairless spots with a camera phone.. but I am pretty sure my new puppy has demodectic mange. Its localized and the skin looks healthy... just missing some hair!

Has anyone else had this with their puppies? I have had a couple of fosters that had it, and in a couple of months it was gone and to my knowledge never came back again. it usually starts to happens if one of the females come in heat (where i foster does not alter dogs until they are adopted)

Is it common to take your dog to the vet for it? I understand if the hairloss is getting worse, or its seems pretty bad you should go to the vet, but if it is just a few spots here and there... or a little on the eye lid I was always told that it was fine and not to worry unless it got worse.

Thanks! here is a picture of some hairloss on the face.
it is also found on his legs, and the corner of his mouth. I counted three spots on his leg and one corner of his mouth. and what you see on this picture.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I would say it's worth going to a vets... mange can spread. And what if it ISN'T?

I'd deffo book an appointment, and I'm not the sort of person who goes running for every tiny ailment!

Aleron

I've seen my fair share of Demodex, it's fairly common in young puppies and especially young puppies of certain breeds. The mites which cause it are something all dogs have but when the immune system is weakened or just immature, the mites breed in larger numbers and cause the symptoms you are seeing. IME it's best just to let it be, as the "treatment" for it tends to be worse than the Demodex (very toxic). The vast majority of cases of Demodex will clear up on their own with no treatment.

If you want to feel like you're doing something for it, you can go the natural route and try to support your dog's immune system. This has some ideas, if you want to go that route but also keep in mind - it usually just clears up on it's own :) : http://www.thewholedog.org/artDemodex.html

I did put him on a grain free dog food, and gave him a couple of good baths in a tea tree based shampoo.

I read somewhere that it MAY help to put the drops for ear mites onto those spots (i wouldnt around his eyes, but maybe his leg spots?)
has anyone else heard of that?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Well it certainly wouldn't be a bad idea to go to the vet just to confirm that it is, indeed, demodex.

If the only issue it's causing is hairloss I wouldn't worry about it. Juno had it as a pup and hers took a long time to clear up, but hers was just a patch of hairloss on one hip so other than being ugly lol it wasn't affecting her enough that I felt the need to pursue treatment, and the vet was actually the one to recommend just leaving it be.

Ivermectin is the standard treatment, but Promeris is also approved for treating it, which is just a monthly flea & tick preventive. So it's easy enough.

I would say it's worth going to a vets... mange can spread.
Demodectic mange is actually not contagious. Sarcoptic mange is the nasty, itchy, contagious one that springs to most peoples minds when they hear the word mange.

i groom dogs, and three dogs i know died from promeris, and the vets in my area have stopped carrying it.
have you heard anything about this?

Saeleofu

Promeris has been pulled/recalled/discontinued last I heard because of the dangers. What we generally use for treating mange is an ivermectin suspension (your vet can probably mix one up for you). Dips can be very dangerous.

If it were my dog, I would take it to a vet if I suspected demodex. I had a foster with demodex before and it took a while for them ti figure it out, and he was really itchy and almost bald, took him forever to grow his hair back. It started localized, but spread to most of his skin.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Demodectic mange is actually not contagious. Sarcoptic mange is the nasty, itchy, contagious one that springs to most peoples minds when they hear the word mange.
I didn't mean between pets, I meant on the individual. You can get pretty nasty cases.

Aleron

It does take awhile for the hair to grow back but treatment doesn't really help that. The vast majority of cases clear up with no treatment, yet many vets strongly push treatment right away. Treatment which tends to be rather toxic unfortunately. If you want to know that it is for sure Demodex, you will need a skin scraping. However, be aware that your vet may urge you to treat and know ahead of time if you want to or not.

"Two clinical forms (localized and generalized) of the disease exist. Localized demodicosis occurs in dogs <2 yr old, and most of these cases, especially the nummular forms, are thought to resolve spontaneously. Lesions consist of areas of focal alopecia, erythema and/or hyperpigmentation, and comedones. Pruritus is usually absent or weak. A percentage of these cases, especially the diffuse localized forms, progress to the generalized form. ... Nummular localized demodicosis can be left untreated. The prognosis for this form is usually good, and spontaneous recovery is frequent." http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/72005.htm"]

"Localized demodicosis occurs as isolated scaly bald patches, usually on the dog's face, creating a polka-dot appearance. Localized demodicosis is considered a common puppyhood ailment and approximately 90% of cases resolve with no treatment of any kind." http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html

"Localized mange usually heals spontaneously in six to eight weeks, but may wax and wane for several months. " http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/demodectic-mange-dogs

I will see if it is demodex or not (i am so sure it is.)
but I decided that i am not going to treat it at this point.

I am pretty close to my vet, she is actually a friend of the family. i do not think she will have a problem with doing a scrapping and not treating it.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Wow sorry I hadn't heard anything about Promeris being bad! The only time I've ever even heard of the product was when Juno had demodex and that was 2 years ago. My bad :eek:
Guess it's a good thing we decided not to treat her with it!

it IS demodectic mange. and i have decided to not treat it, because lots of what i read says that nothing suggest treatment even helps it heal any faster.

however Rajah is itchy.

any suggestions on what to do?
I am taking him to work with me for an oatmeal bath and either a hot oil treatment or dead sea mud bath..
also getting him on benadryl.

he is on grain free food, but it does have potatoes in it.

benadryl has helped a LOT!!! (with itching)
he is also on fish oil and vit C

he got his oatmeal bath and dead sea mud bath a couple of days ago. smells good, didnt do much for itching. im glad the benadryl did :)

kady05

We tried the "wait and see" route with Piper when she was a pup and had Demodex. Wish I would've just treated it then, because when I had her spayed at 6 months she looked like she had been attacked by moths a week later.. stress of the surgery made the Demodex flare up.

So we treated it then. I believe she was on Ivermectin for 8wks. and it completely cleared up!

here are some better pictures.

and this is what i am doing:

Feeding Taste Of the Wild- high prairie puppy (it is the best that i can afford)
Adding fish oil 1000 mg, vit c 1000 mg
benadryl 25mg twice a day (sometimes only once)
NO grains, potatoes (there is some in his food, cant find a grain free without that i can afford) no sugars, nothing dyed or artificial. Basically besides his dog food he only gets freeze dried chicken and chicken liver
Weekly bath (in soap free, dye free, sent free, coconut based tea tree shampoo--dried with force dryer with no heat--

jenv101

Bite Club
Glad he is getting better!

I think as long as you can keep him stress free without any major changes in his life (or surgery as was previously mentioned), he should be fine and grow out of it! Riley had it when he was 10-11 months old, started out as a small spot on his chin, but then we went away and he was in a kennel for a week and the stress made it flare up to the whole bottom of his chin. Took quite a while to go away, but it did.

Aleron

Glad to hear it's getting better!

Glad he is getting better!

I think as long as you can keep him stress free without any major changes in his life (or surgery as was previously mentioned), he should be fine and grow out of it! Riley had it when he was 10-11 months old, started out as a small spot on his chin, but then we went away and he was in a kennel for a week and the stress made it flare up to the whole bottom of his chin. Took quite a while to go away, but it did.
It's pretty normal for it to flare up after surgery or something which challenges the immune system but that's not really a sign that it "should have been treated sooner" or that it won't clear up on it's own. As I posted earlier, the vast majority of cases will clear up with no treatment at all. People get antsy because their dogs looks...well mange-y but really, IMO and IME the treatment is worse than the problem in most cases. And if the treatment takes 8 weeks to clear it up....well there's no way to say the treatment worked or didn't. It easily could have gone away on it's own in that time.

Members online

No members online now.