Training Treat Recipes

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I want to start making my own treats as it seems we go through so many as it is. Anyone have good recipes?

I'm looking for some I can cut up small (think small cat treat size) so that Tsuki can eat them quickly, and won't turn to dust once cut up.

Thanks everyone!!

Hotdogs! Microwaved/baked until they are nice and crispy

I also buy things of chicken liver (or any other liver I see) cut them up and cook them till they are crispy.

Those Natural Balance sausage things make great training treats too. As is or cooked

Sometimes I take whatever I'm gonna cook and soak it in garlic and chicken/beef broth to make it REALLY stinky.

I've also done egg before. I scrambled some eggs, put some garlic and chicken broth in it and let it cook on the skillet without touching it till it was fully cooked. Then I flipped it over to get the other side just as done. Then after it cooled I cut it with a pizza cutter

Honestly, when I do training treats is a what's in the fridge kinda thing. If I have some chicken breast I use it, some fish I use it, some beef I use it etc.

But whatever I do I try and have a variety in the bag of treats and then have some extra big pieces for jackpots. A lot of times I make those big chunks of Merrick sausage because my girls love them.

One time though all I had on my was Twizzlers and Smarties....so that's what Kaylee got. My friends dog LOVES peas so she's used those a lot

Sorry I can't give you real recipes, I don't even know what I do have the time. The oven gets turned onto whatever I feel like at the moment and then I just check on them till they are done

MicksMom

A recipe I came up with about a year ago. Caleb loves it more then the liver brownies I used to make.

Pumpkin Brownies
15 oz canned pumpkin
2 -2 ¼ Cups oatmeal (uncooked)

Pre-heat oven to 250 degrees

Mix ingredients, spread into thin layer on cookie sheet (I line cookie sheet with foil)
Bake for approx 1 hour
Cool
I keep a small amount in a zip lock bag in the fridge, and the rest in the freezer.

Dekka

Just try me..
Liver cookies.. soft and can be cut up small. They can crumble if you don't add cheese.

Boil chicken livers for a while (never timed it)

Remove from heat and strain out the livers. Blend with just enough of the water from boiling to make a smooth paste (this is easy) Add some garlic for flavouring. THen add sufficent grain product flour (I use spelt flour) to make a cookie dough like consitency. Add a cup or so of shredded cheese (usually cheddar as thats what we have)

Smush all on a cookie sheet, and bake at 350 till slightly golden. Remove and cut into what ever size you want then let cool.

I also made the above recipe but instead used really good smoked salmon (and blended in blender) They were so delicious I could have served them as hors d'oeuvre at a party lol. The dogs went crazy for them!

adojrts

Pacific Red Salmon (with or without the bones)

1 cup of flour (what ever kind you want to use)

1 egg

2 tablespoons of cooking oil

Add cheese too, they love it.

Mix, make as large cookies or it can be spread out and cut with a pizza cutter when cooled , bake at 250 for 20 mins on dusted cookie sheet.
You don't want to dry it out, keep moist.

You can use any kind of meat, just not the salmon, dice it or from a can. But I have to say, even using other kinds of meats, every dog I have known goes crazy for the salmon.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I buy big cartons of chicken hearts & gizzards, sprinkle garlic powder on them and put them in the dehydrator or dry them out on the oven. You can dice them into tiny pieces, they're healthy and I have yet to meet a dog who doesn't go gaga for them. :)

Members online