Can puppies have these?

leaughxp

I had bought the puppy pack nylabones so you get one each for 2mo+,3mo+, and 4mo+. Well I gave Gunner the 2mo+ "puppy" two weeks ago and he's already chewed off one end of it. A few days a go I gave him the 3mo+ "edible" bone and he finished it within 36 hours! I have the 4mo+ "durable" left but he's right at 3mo so I was wondering if I can give it to him? Is it based on how much they chew or how developed their teeth are? The "durables" sold singly do not have an age on them so I wasn't sure how strict it is. I was really thinking of getting him one of the Galileo bones but would that be too big and hard? I've read the Orbee bones are good, can puppies have those? And how long should a nylabone last (the nylon or edible ones)?

I don't know about the Nylabones and their durability, but the Orbees come in an assortment of sizes, and even my girls haven't managed to destroy them. One thing I really like about them, too, is that they have a wonderful firm, but delightfully squishy feel to them and aren't hard on their gums.

leaughxp

So orbees are okay for puppies then? What size should I get, right now I think he's about 14 pounds I'll find out for sure Wed at the vet but he's growing fast. He was 9 pounds two weeks ago. Will he outgrow the small soon? Would a large be too big?

I'd probably start with a medium. If they've got the Orbees in stock at a store near you, take a look and see what seems to fit his mouth best. They make balls and several other types of toys as well. You can see them at www.planetdog.com .

RD

Are you dead yet?
Orbees are good, almost indestructible by adult dogs but pups can poke little holes in them with those needle teeth of theirs. :D

Oh yeah, and if your pup chewed the top off of the puppy bone, he can definitely chew on a durable bone.. In fact, that is the safest thing to do.. the reason they have the puppy bones is because some puppies are soft chewers and don't need a harder nylon bone.

Good point about the puppy teeth, Rip's. As you can guess, mine never had "little" teeth, even as babies, LOL! Shoot, Kharma killed her first groundhog when she still had some puppy teeth! :eek:

bogolove

I just ordered my first orbee for Brady but I have not received it yet. He can tear through just about anything in a record time though, so I am hoping since Renee's dogs can't get through them, the hopefully my chew-a-holic can't either. I need something that can keep him occupied for a longer period of time than most bones and stuff he gets. I will let you know after I get it. I also got him an orbee hockey puck.

leaughxp

Thanks I need to order some food for my chinchilla from the ferret store so I'm going to get the medium orbee too so I can get the free shipping. :) In the meantime I'll go ahead and give him the other nylabone.

leaughxp

The orbee came yesterday, it's really neat but he won't chew on it much longer than five minutes. He won't chew on the harder nylabone either, just plays fetch with it so I bought him another softer one that's bigger and sometimes he'll chew on it a little.

Puppies don't typically chew on one thing for long periods of time when they're this young. Just like children, their attention spans have to develop. Don't be discouraged. He really is just a baby.

leaughxp

Renee750il said:
Puppies don't typically chew on one thing for long periods of time when they're this young. Just like children, their attention spans have to develop. Don't be discouraged. He really is just a baby.
Oh I guess I don't really expect him to chew on them for hours but if it were my hands he would chew all day! He used to chew on the puppy nylabone he first got for a good twenty minutes. It's just he starts chewing on something then you get up to walk across the room and he follows you to bite/chew you and your clothes. He's put holes in I think all my jeans and several shirts. :mad: I was just trying to find something to occupy him long enough to get stuff done (like studying and writing my papers) without having to put him in his crate all the time since he's in it all night and when I'm at class plus sometimes I put him in when he gets to excited and really starts attacking.

Members online

No members online now.