uh oh... horsie

Snark

Mutts to you
If the person had time to swing up a camera, focus and snap a pic, they had time to yell, wave their arms, run at the horse and distract him. In fact, that would have been my first instinct, rather than taking the photo.

I was in the paddock when one of our horses went after a barn cat (they usually ignore the cats), and yelling and running at the horse made him swerve; giving the cat enough time to run under the fence.

Nice siggy, by the way. Papillons are too cute! :)

Lily

Papillon Girl
Snark said:
If the person had time to swing up a camera, focus and snap a pic, they had time to yell, wave their arms, run at the horse and distract him. In fact, that would have been my first instinct, rather than taking the photo.

I was in the paddock when one of our horses went after a barn cat (they usually ignore the cats), and yelling and running at the horse made him swerve; giving the cat enough time to run under the fence.

Nice siggy, by the way. Papillons are too cute! :)
Thanks I wish I would have used like a dark blue or something in the letters.
Good for you for saving your cat:) That could have been ugly!:p

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
Hmmmm...none of my horses have ever gone after an animal. Kinda goes against the whole flight instinct. :rolleyes:

Snark

Mutts to you
cowgurl6254 said:
Hmmmm...none of my horses have ever gone after an animal. Kinda goes against the whole flight instinct. :rolleyes:
Guess your horses aren't as crabby as ours (or the one in that pic). Lol! Actually, I've seen quite a few horses go after dogs in their pasture, I guess they see them as a nuisance, not a threat.

Noxmorexlies

Official Animal Lover
Woah I hope the dog is okay I doubt the person just stood there, he/she probably knows the horse might've been playing or something. I'm not sure I don't have much expierence with horses but It could be possible.

Snark

Mutts to you
Nope, horse isn't playing... see (or not see) the pinned ears and flared nostrils? Dead giveaway that horse is pissed...

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
Noxmorexlies said:
Woah I hope the dog is okay I doubt the person just stood there, he/she probably knows the horse might've been playing or something. I'm not sure I don't have much expierence with horses but It could be possible.
I had horses for years and it does not look like that horse is playing to me.

Poppy

My friend has horses, one of her horses does go after dogs. If this horse sees a dog ears pin back and she charges.

I have even seen the horse do the same charging action towards some cattle dogs up the road from my friend. The dogs have a lot of Cattle dog in them and they seem to be able to nip around the horses hocks and avoid the horse trying to stomp or trample them. It's amazing to see these cattle dogs in action, almost as if they were born to avoid those hooves and still nip to get the animal moving. It can look scary for the dog, but, the dog normally is good at his job. Obviously I too would have feared for the dogs life had I not known about the difficult job these Cattle dogs were bred for. I imagine many of the posters here would be close to tears watching true working Cattle dogs:D

In that picture of the horse challenging the dog, it looks to me exactly how the Cattle dogs go after the horse. They come in for a nip at the hock, then run and avoid those hooves, then circle and come in for another. I have yet to see a horse kill the quick moving agile dogs.

Although my friend does not like the fact that these neighbors cattle dogs enjoy doing their job with her horses. She does try to keep the dogs away from her pasture and pleaded with the neighbors to keep their dogs in their yard. She is now planning on putting chain link fencing around her entire pasture to keep the neighbors dogs out.

She does have Lab's at home and the dog aggressive horse does like the Lab's as they are passive and don't have that drive to chase.:)

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
That horse is definitely mad...the body language is a dead giveaway. I guess all of my horses are used to the dogs, so I don't have to worry about that happening. I sure hope the dog got away. :(

Sprout

Brussels Griffon
lol! My horse does that everyday to Sprout, but I dont think she goes quite that far!!

Poor dog :eek: I doubt he got hurt though.. cause I dont think the owner would proudly put the pic of her dog getting killed on the internet :eek:

Members online

No members online now.