Types of herding styles

Argh that's it, you guys have convinced me to contact the nearest herding facility. I'm desperate to get Keeva on stock.

A question for those more experienced in herding: I know that corgis are drovers, as has been discussed, primarily of cattle. So they essentially bossed the cattle around and moved them up roads, to markets, and from pasture to pasture.

Keeva definitely likes to boss around large, moving animals, however, she also shows quite a bit of eye - on other dogs, the cat, and even her toys. It's very noticeable and dramatic; she slams down into a crouch and then creeps up with a hard stare.

Is this abnormal for a drover? Where does this fit in to different herding styles? (Where can I find a book or video that will answer these questions? LOL :p)
Well, I know with Enda she eyes her ball in the most hypnotic fashion it's almost annoying, lol. But it's really interesting to note, she herds the chickens SO much more like a Kelpie, crouched, eying, etc, where as she tends to her the sheep in a more methodical manner typical of her breed.

Jinjo is an odd one too, as the ONE time he doesn't make a noisy nuisance of himself is herding the chickens, no idea why, he's just quick, sometimes rushes them a little too much.

Omg I have so much love for this dog.
I know right :hail:?!

I just checked youtube for more cardi herding videos and...most of the corgis are super fat. And it made me kinda sad.

Emily - is the level of bark in the video from WelshStump about the same as Keeva's? I sometimes wonder how Tipper measures up against "real" corgis. Lol.
It is so sad, that's why when I saw that video I saved it right away and hope it never disappears from the net!

Corgis can stop barking?
Hmm, yeah but only when you don't care :rolleyes:, always. Jinj's is the most obnoxious, he'll bark, if you say nothing he continues, if you say something he gets worse and continues, darned Corgis! lol

And this for reference is what he thinks of Sheep, I have yet to let him back with them after Nigel escaped one day and he tried to help himself to rump roast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8GVveX0dus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUA9AZ40dBc
(the first video is cut then goes to the second one, Loo is SO BAD! She loves to taunt the dogs, Nigel's the one with the horns)

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Also, for those interested in "level of bark", Keeva's bark is much more... powerful than the Cardi in the vid. It's very um... forceful and percussive, and deeper than the dog in the vid, despite the fact that she's smaller.

She's a very well-endowed barker, evil little bitch. LOL

Members online

No members online now.