Met My First Real Live Doodle

Boemy

I'm going to be blunt. Anyone breeding labradoodles or goldendoodles is a BYB. If they do health tests, then good! When I was at the vet getting my kitties vaccinated, a lady in the waiting room was getting the OFA and CERF results for her golden retriever. But since her reason for wanting to breed her dog was "she has a lovely caramel color", she was still a BYB.

I'm sure the guide dog association that first bred -doodles had good intentions. Which road is paved with those, again? Why create a new breed to be a "hypoallergenic guide dog" when you can just use a standard poodle?

To those of you who are misinformed and call all of these dogs BYbred mutts....do your research.

To the rest of you who have opened your minds and your hearts, it's been a pleasure.

peace...

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I've not met one but I would be lying if I said doc's Sophie was not a stunning dog. Just look into her eyes of the pics doc posts... she is beautiful! (Ok and I admit I stare at doc's siggy sometimes just so I can see Sophie's pictures.. shameless I know :eek: )

Can anyone provide sites for what they deem a responsible breeder of these dogs? It would be interesting to look at at least.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have to admit, I find Goldendoodles and Labradoodles to be gorgeous dogs. They're absolutely stunning. (Sophie is no exception) The only one I've really been around was a female Goldendoodle at the shelter. she was beautiful and sweet, and if I could take another dog and a large one, I'd totally have stolen her. xD

Dekka

Just try me..
I am really against breeding flavour of the month dogs, be they designer breeds or purebreds. These are the dogs that end up in shelters etc. But I find it extreemly high handed for people to say all the breeds we have today are all the breeds that shall be allowed. Conformation shows and the notions of all these pure breeds is a relatively new one. (and one destined to ruin all these breeds if things continue on, but that is another essay)

If everyone who's dog had puppies was responsible for those puppies for their entire lives, we wouldn't have pets in shelters etc. The problem isn't the mixes, its the people who breed *any dogs* without accepting the responsibility of the lives they have caused to be brought into this world.

If people out there wish to create a goldendoodle breed, and go about it in a systematic, intelligent, and ethical way, then I am all for it. Diversity is good.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
:rolleyes: Purpose, my butt. There is nothing a "doodle" can do that another established breed couldn't. I'll give you the point that the Guide dog association did create a cross breed (not a 'breed'...a mix) to give a blind woman because her husband was allergic. But as far as I'm aware the guide dog association breeds its own dogs and I don't include them when thinking or talking about breeders.
Outside of that there is NO purpose for them. They're not unique in their abilities, there is no job that they can do that another already well established breed couldn't already do. And there are as many bad breeders of designer mutts in Australia as there are in America (well..relatively speaking anway..smaller population and all). Yes, I'm like talking to a brick wall. But there are way too many dogs dying in shelters down here to condone the breeding of mixes or the "creation" of more unneccessary breeds.
You are not alone in your views. At least some people still see the truth. I've done a lot of research on the Australia millers, and it's a sad situation.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I've not met one but I would be lying if I said doc's Sophie was not a stunning dog. Just look into her eyes of the pics doc posts... she is beautiful! (Ok and I admit I stare at doc's siggy sometimes just so I can see Sophie's pictures.. shameless I know :eek: )

Can anyone provide sites for what they deem a responsible breeder of these dogs? It would be interesting to look at at least.
I agree... Sophie is so gorgeous- her coat looks so soft and fluffy, and she seems like such a sweetheart!

The only doodle I've ever met was a sleeping puppy at the vet's office!

mjb

I always read the threads of the subject of breeding mixed breeds. The objection that it seems to come down to is dog over-population. Too many dogs in the pounds, and too many people breeding dogs for money. What I don't understand is why this is an issue only wioth the breeding of mixed breeds. It seems like over-population of dogs also would include purebreeds. Why isn't there an outcry of the over-breeding of purebreds, too?

There may be a very good reason that breeding purebreeds while there are unwanted dogs abounding is okay to most 'dog' people. I just haven't seen the reason why. I've seen where legitimate breeders are trying to better the breed that they work with, but is there a reason that that is needed when it produces more dogs into a world with more than are wanted?

This is not actually the topic of this thread, so maybe it shouldn't veer off in this direction. I don't have strong opinions on this subject, but I've been trying to figure out why breeding mixed breeds is so different than breeding purebreeds when the objection is creating more dogs in the world. It may have been answered on other threads, but when they get too heated, I usually quit reading them. I don't always enjoy confrontation, even when it's between people over the internet, and I'm not involved!!!!

As far as puppy mills go, depending on why they are being bred, they can have quite the number of puppies. The local guide dog training center has quite a few puppies per year, yet that is what is required to meet demand for guide dogs. No dogs are bred multiple times per year, they're health checked etc. If you really have more information besides 3 litters per month, I'd love to
see it, but I am somewhat skeptical.

As for doodles and such...

a) If their dogs are health tested, and bred in a way to minimize dangers to the mothers health (ie not every year)

b) Puppies come with a proper guarantee against genetic disease (life) and puppy diseases (until it would be discovered) and

c) Demand return if the owners are incapable of keeping it, so that they do not get into the shelters then

I don't care what anyone breeds! Want to breed the flavor of the month? Well, if the health checks come back within the "month" and you have room and time in case they, and all the other "months" come back, why should I care? There will be homes and puppies in good health, which is all we can really ask for!

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
I always read the threads of the subject of breeding mixed breeds. The objection that it seems to come down to is dog over-population. Too many dogs in the pounds, and too many people breeding dogs for money. What I don't understand is why this is an issue only wioth the breeding of mixed breeds. It seems like over-population of dogs also would include purebreeds. Why isn't there an outcry of the over-breeding of purebreds, too?
I, personally, also have a problem with unethical breeding of purebreds (which is more common than most care to admit). I have written up a section on "Types of Breeders" on my website. It discusses ethics, not breeds.

You are not alone in your views. At least some people still see the truth. I've done a lot of research on the Australia millers, and it's a sad situation.
What the he!! does your research on Australia's miller got to do with this dog? Have you done the research on the breeders of these dogs who hold themselves to a MUCH HIGHER standard than that of many AKC/CKC breeders? It's clear that like Cass, you have not.

Cass - I'm affraid that simply living in the country does not give one a birds eye view of anything - as is clear by your posts.

FYI - I've been working with the results of millers myself for more years than I care to count and more often than not with purebred dogs....WTH does that have to do with the op?

I'm sick to death of feeling lousy about every **** thing I read on here with respect to a dog that I DID RESEARCH/ took unusual steps to make sure that she came from a wonderful breeder. Her parents were both health tested to the nuts, her breeder donated a HUGE percentage of her puppies to work as guide dogs.

There are puppy millers for every breed, yours included and YES it's sickening.
As I've said before, 3 of my purebred dogs come from such places when I helped to close them down....it's horrible....AGAIN, WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH THE ORIGINAL POST?????

I've posted link after link to support the fact that there are many Labradoodle breeders out there doing it not only right, but better than most. Funny that Grammy and others have seen, read, and commented on them without a negative word but you who have nothing good to say, never took the time to look.

Honestly, I'm beyond fed up with the crap that's posted at the very mention of a Labradoodle...

I've had it!!!:mad:

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
I'm not a lover of curly haired moppet type dogs but I have seen a few cute ones :D . There are ALOT of Doodle's both lab and golden around here in Mass. I must see a good dozen or more at the places I take Caiza :rolleyes: They all look very different. Never seen the same coat twice on one but I'm sure the majority are all from BYB'S................However, Sophie is very cute Doc, and I'm glad you did your research :)

I am really against breeding flavour of the month dogs, be they designer breeds or purebreds. These are the dogs that end up in shelters etc. But I find it extremly high handed for people to say all the breeds we have today are all the breeds that shall be allowed. Conformation shows and the notions of all these pure breeds is a relatively new one. (and one destined to ruin all these breeds if things continue on, but that is another essay)

If everyone who's dog had puppies was responsible for those puppies for their entire lives, we wouldn't have pets in shelters etc. The problem isn't the mixes, its the people who breed *any dogs* without accepting the responsibility of the lives they have caused to be brought into this world.

If people out there wish to create a goldendoodle breed, and go about it in a systematic, intelligent, and ethical way, then I am all for it. Diversity is good.
I wonder if we'd have some of the breeds so many people love today if generations past had been as chauvinistic as so many are now . . . For instance, how would one justify the creation of a breed that has no "purpose" other than as a companion? Like, say, the Chihuahua or the Pomeranian? Carry it a little further and try and figure out how to justify the existence of a vast array of purposeless humans . . .

As for doodles and such...

a) If their dogs are health tested, and bred in a way to minimize dangers to the mothers health (ie not every year)

b) Puppies come with a proper guarantee against genetic disease (life) and puppy diseases (until it would be discovered) and

c) Demand return if the owners are incapable of keeping it, so that they do not get into the shelters then

I don't care what anyone breeds! Want to breed the flavor of the month? Well, if the health checks come back within the "month" and you have room and time in case they, and all the other "months" come back, why should I care? There will be homes and puppies in good health, which is all we can really ask for!
Glad to see some minds open . . . I understand you're not advocating willy-nilly, wholesale breeding of all sorts of mixes as long as the health checks come back and all the other ethical and responsible factors are met.

All of the hoopla over "championships" and falling within AKC/CKC/UKC ad nauseum specs makes me wonder if it's really not just a method of egotistically maintaining a stranglehold on the power to dictate arbitrary standards.

I met Maddie, I was very impressed with her and she was an absolute sweetheart with intelligence and good humor oozing out of every single hair follicle. So, suck it up and deal.

mjb

I can understand the argument that most dog breeding should not be taking place because dog population needs to be controlled.

I can understand the argument that any dog breeding is okay as long as all health checks are done, anyone who can't keep a pup will return it to the breeder so that none end up in shelters, and all the other rules of responsible dog breeding.

I just have not seen the argument that explains why it's okay to breed purebreds, but it's unethical to breed mixed breeds.

The doodle that Renee met sounds like a wonderful dog. I tend to think companionship is one of the most important jobs dogs hold today......probably because that's the position my dog holds.

In my ideal world, all dogs would be working tested...

In this world I'll settle for a bunch of healthy poodle mixes if thats what the good homes want. I hope the other criteria in responsible breeding weed out most of the willynillyness, I'd imagine it would take quite a long time to examine pedigrees of TWO breeds and understand all the health risks in both breeds.

I don't see many responsible breeders pushing out purebreds either because they can, but I'll leave it up to each person and each buyer what constitutes a sufficient reason for the breeding (since I don't agree with the show dog reasons of "improving" the breed).

mjb

In my ideal world, all dogs would be working tested...

Does that mean ideally all dogs would be qualified to work? Or that they would actually have to have a job to do?

If there were only working dogs, I'm not sure if I would be able to have one. Where I live, I can't think of a job that I would need a dog to do. I'd probably come up with something, though, because I'd definitely want to have a dog living with me.

Mcpie

While I understand the argument against Doodles, my mix breed pups best friend is a very sweet, well trained Goldendoodle who is only about 4 months (couple of weeks older than my guy). Here are a few snaps of the Doodle for those who haven't seen them before/don't think they are cute (I think she is amazingly cute). Keep in mind she is considerably bigger now.

I just have not seen the argument that explains why it's okay to breed purebreds, but it's unethical to breed mixed breeds.
If you purchase a mixed breed from a breeder, you kill a shelter dog.

If you purchase a pure breed from a "backyard breeder", then you kill a shelter dog.

If you purchase a pure breed from an "acceptable" breeder, then for some reason no shelter dogs die. Maybe the governor calls up or something and and says, "wait, the animal comes from champion bloodlines, spare the shelter dog."

Or something.

I fully understand the over-population argument, and I fully understand avoiding poor breeders and puppy mills...for many reasons, not just over-population. But I admit that I don't understand why buying a goldendoodle (if that's what you want) kills shelter dogs while buying the offsping of a AKC champion doesn't.

But then that's just me.

Does that mean ideally all dogs would be qualified to work? Or that they would actually have to have a job to do?

If there were only working dogs, I'm not sure if I would be able to have one. Where I live, I can't think of a job that I would need a dog to do. I'd probably come up with something, though, because I'd definitely want to have a dog living with me.
If only I was made king of the dog world! Basically, I don't like how AKC champions who are supposed to be preserving the breed wouldn't know how to flush a pheasant if the bird pecked it on the nose or how my mix of herding breeds wouldn't know what to do with a herd of sheep!

The parents would be working tested or working dogs. It would actually work much like current show dogs do, some are not suitable for breeding (working) and go to pet homes while others earn their "right" to reproduce by working. I just feel that working ability should be more important than an inch or two in height, or some other arbitrary conformation standard.

Now THAT is getting off topic, and we have argued that to death too ;)

mjb

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense to me (but I don't know enough about it all to have a valid opinion).

We have certainly strayed off the original topic of poster meeting a cute and sweet-natured dog!!!! (Sorry to have been a big part of that, if that's considered ill-mannered!)

Members online

No members online now.