Kennel/Crate for Air Travel!

Lyzelle

So all the sales are going on for post-Halloween stuff and Petco along with some other sites are having pretty good deals up to like 60%. This is obviously the time to grab a crate for Zander.

We are leaving in March, and I won't know if we will need to provide a kennel or if a kennel will be provided for us until January. Either way, I figure it'll be a good thing to have one on hand anyway, especially since I feel like I'm probably going to have to work with him all over again to like the kennel.

So what type of crate is suitable for most airlines? Vari Kennels seem like the most widely accepted answer, but are the other similar brands okay too?

I think Zane will need in the area of 30'' to stand up, little longer in length because he's built like a train.

Any input welcome!

The crates I have that Traveler, Didgie and Zinga came in where made to fit the standards and I can't seem to find a brand. They just say Live Animal and BUilt to I.A.T.A specifications Cage is approved for use on Qantas Group Aircraft

So pretty much I'm no help, just wanted to make sure you knew that I believe the dog needs to be able to stand up completely and naturally WITHOUT their ears touching (at least that's what I remember when I looked into it). Since pointy dogs have pointy ears I figured I would throw that out there in case you didn't know.

Lyzelle

The crates I have that Traveler, Didgie and Zinga came in where made to fit the standards and I can't seem to find a brand. They just say Live Animal and BUilt to I.A.T.A specifications Cage is approved for use on Qantas Group Aircraft

So pretty much I'm no help, just wanted to make sure you knew that I believe the dog needs to be able to stand up completely and naturally WITHOUT their ears touching (at least that's what I remember when I looked into it). Since pointy dogs have pointy ears I figured I would throw that out there in case you didn't know.
Yep! Zander is somewhere between 24-26 inches at the shoulders, so I figure 30''+ should leave a good amount of room. Usually kennels come in those 32, 34, 36, type of sizes, so I don't think I'll have too much of an issue with that. I'm going to get a tape measure to make sure, though.

Toller_08

the dog needs to be able to stand up completely and naturally WITHOUT their ears touching (at least that's what I remember when I looked into it). Since pointy dogs have pointy ears I figured I would throw that out there in case you didn't know.
I've never flown a dog so I have nothing to add other than I had no idea that that was a rule! That's nuts. I wonder why they made that a rule. Good thing the Dobermans don't have to travel anywhere by plane... Ripley's ears probably add a good three inches or more to his head.

Lossalfling

Ferret Keeper
I know when we traveled from holland to here they said they animal must be able to sit /stand and lay down comfortable in the kennel. It cannot be a wire kennel and must have screws or bolts no press latches to keep it closed.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I have a friend who breeds afghans. Because the topknot of an adult she was shipping touched the top of the kennel she had to buy the next size up at the airport...

They can be jerky about the little things. I hate flying animals.

Lyzelle

Does anyone know the regulations as far as chewies, blankets, etc? Or does it have to be a completely empty crate?

But according to those rules pretty much any of these would work? They are all different brands, different sizes, different ratings, but I'm just trying to get a feel for what I should be looking for.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Yes, a lady flying her GSDs here from Germany was told the crates were too small because their ears touched the top. Of course, she argued with them until the airline relented. Got to love the German's common sense.

My pup came from Sweden in a Petmate kennel. The IATA compliance is key.

Here are some other allowable brands.
http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Crates-&-Accessories/Pet-Crates/

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
Does anyone know the regulations as far as chewies, blankets, etc? Or does it have to be a completely empty crate?
I would not put anything in the crate. You would never know if there was an accident until it was too late. Food and water are required, and you can put in a pad. You can buy superabsorbant kennel liners that are like flat diapers and hold the moisture and keep the dog dry. I bought Dry Fur before my overseas trip with my puppy, but I didn't need it. http://www.pettravelstore.com/products/Pet-Carrier-Crate-Pads.html

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Bottom kennel pictured doesn't have screws closing the top and bottom of the kennel together.. it's just plastic pretend bolts. Too possible to break it..

Lyzelle

Yes, a lady flying her GSDs here from Germany was told the crates were too small because their ears touched the top. Of course, she argued with them until the airline relented. Got to love the German's common sense.

My pup came from Sweden in a Petmate kennel. The IATA compliance is key.

Here are some other allowable brands.
http://www.pettravelstore.com/categories/Pet-Crates-&-Accessories/Pet-Crates/
I would not put anything in the crate. You would never know if there was an accident until it was too late. Food and water are required, and you can put in a pad. You can buy superabsorbant kennel liners that are like flat diapers and hold the moisture and keep the dog dry. I bought Dry Fur before my overseas trip with my puppy, but I didn't need it. http://www.pettravelstore.com/products/Pet-Carrier-Crate-Pads.html
Thank you! I've bookmarked that site, it seems to have a lot of good info.

Bottom kennel pictured doesn't have screws closing the top and bottom of the kennel together.. it's just plastic pretend bolts. Too possible to break it..
I'm checking the descriptions to make sure it fits what you guys are saying. I was just making sure that's the general style I should be looking for. Solid crates with just the door and bar window things.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
You can buy the metal screws from that Pet Travel website. But I also thought that bottom crate looked a little iffy.

Saeleofu

I flew Logan in a Remmington which is the last one you pictured. I probably should have bought the next size up, but without seeing how big he was OR how big the crate was i was hard to determine that. But he was in a down in his crate most of the time, so it was okay ;)

I don 't remember what Tango flew in, but it was HUGE because he's so freaking tall and has huge stand-up ears. It was kind of ridiculous.

NO wire crates. Most that are okay will say "airline approved." If it doesn't have nut-and-bolt closures holding it together, buy a pack of zip ties to reinforce the clips. The remington doesn't have bolts, so you'll need to reinforce. It's super easy to travel to shows with because it can be broken down and set up SO fast without the stupid bolts, but it does definitely need reinforced for flying.

You can put a towel, or even better a bath mat in the crate. A bowl clipped to the door for food and one for water, freeze the water bowl overnight before you leave. Attach a bag of food to the crate, but don't actually feed the dog before you fly.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I believe that for international travel, you'll need ventilation on all four sides, not just 3 like most crates (that are approved for in-country travel).

Flyinsbt

Yes, need ventilation on 4 sides for international travel. For international, if you're going with plastic, I'd buy the SkyKennel (which is basically the Vari-Kennel with ventilation on 4 sides. Made by the same company.) That's the one I have for airplane travel.

You are probably going to want the 500. Maybe the 400, but the 500 would be safer. 400 is 36x24x26H, the 500 is 40x27x30 high. Much easier if the airline doesn't refuse your crate for your dog. My Tess, who is all of 15 1/2" at the shoulder, flies in a 300 (32x22.5x24" high). It's roomy, but the next size down doesn't give her much room to stretch out, and they're likely to think she's over-cramped.

The only other option is a really expensive solid metal crate.

Lyzelle

You are probably going to want the 500. Maybe the 400, but the 500 would be safer. 400 is 36x24x26H, the 500 is 40x27x30 high. Much easier if the airline doesn't refuse your crate for your dog. My Tess, who is all of 15 1/2" at the shoulder, flies in a 300 (32x22.5x24" high). It's roomy, but the next size down doesn't give her much room to stretch out, and they're likely to think she's over-cramped.
I don't know which I should get, honestly. I measured Zane today and he's 27'' tall. He has a fairly short neck and cuppy ears, so I don't think he'd be too terribly cramped in a 400. But I'm not sure. He's 24'' shoulder to butt, and 14'' leg length, measured from the ground to the armpit.

He's so much longer than he is tall, especially laying down, since his legs go in front of him.

I guess I might as well get the 500. Better too big than too small.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Get the 500 - Aeri's breeder had to ship a male mal in a 500 because his ears touched in the 400 and iirc he was smaller than Zane. I use 400s for my 40lb dogs around the house.

Red Chrome

I prefer these for air travel. The door latches up and down as well as across it. I find them to be the sturdiest. It is what Judge's breeder uses to ship GSDs internationally.

Members online

No members online now.