Ada update!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So Ada started her HW treatment today. I managed (thanks to some donations from wonderful people) to get enough together to get her started. I did talk to the vet quite a bit and I trust his judgement. He and I decided to start the HW treatment first then worry about spaying her later. He was uncomfortable with the risks of putting a HW+ dog under and I was too. We want to get her treated as soon as we could and not give the infection a chance to get worse. I am still praying to God she's not pregnant. But we are keeping a close eye on that. If she is, we will have to go from there, I suppose.

I feel kind of overwhelmed at the moment, honestly. HW treatment lasts months and I have no one interested in a home for her (which needs to be local so she can continue her HW treatment at this vet). I keep thinking I'm not doing enough for her or that I'm doing something the wrong way. I wish I had all the answers but it's just not a cut and dried situation. But I'll make it work somehow for her.

Ada is obnoxious too. She's still not gotten the 'not supposed to pee on things inside' thing down. At the vet today she was the obnoxious dog that was lunging on her lead and screaming at the other dogs (to which my vet pointed out that I indeed had a terrier lol- he's a terrier owner) And if you let her off leash inside she runs around and chews anything she can find (and steals things to destroy). So we're tethered together all the time she's inside. But she's coming around. Less screaming in the crate, less being generally annoying. She has a great heart and happy little smiling face all the time. You can't stay annoyed with her long.

We've had her almost a month. I love her and am tearing up at the thought of rehoming her even though I can't afford her right now. I have another job interview on tuesday that pays really well and part of me keeps thinking. If I get that job and if I can rent a place then I could make it work. I keep telling myself I've already got most the expensive stuff out of the way and paid for (save for the spay). But I know it's a stretch. I just don't want to see her go. I don't know how foster people do it routinely. I'm still actively looking for a home around here that can keep up with her treatments but no one really is wanting a HW+ dog. I don't blame them, having to commit to a lot of work and vet visits. But for now she can stay here while she undergoes treatment.

Also, I know I have about 5 PMs here so I 'll get to them ASAP. I have a DR's appointment I need to go to in a minute and all the family is coming in for the kids' graduation on saturday. Busy busy.

What pretty much comes to mind is, "RESISTANCE IS FUTILE . . . "

Remember, the dogs we need do come into our lives and if we were 100% ready for them, then we wouldn't need them so much ;)

Remember when Smkie found Pepper? :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
She's passed out on top of my feet now. Can't just be beside me, has to be on top of me. :lol-sign:

I guess it's a moot point worrying about where she'll end up. Right now there's no other place for her to go anyways.

Ivy

What you're doing is a great thing for Ada. Most people probably wouldn't do for her what your are doing now. :)

As for the re-homing thing goes. How about contacting some local rescues/shelters and asking them to courtesy post Ada as a "needing compassionate home" because of her HW+ thing. Not too sure if you have already done that, but worth a try. That way you can take care of her until a home is found and not have to give her up to a different foster home either.

JacksonsMom

You are doing such a great thing for Ada! A lot of people would not take the time or effort or money that you are to help a dog out. Ada is lucky she stumbled upon you.

I wish that I loved closer and I wish I could say "I will take her!" but I, myself, can't totally afford a second dog right now. It just sucks I'm at the point in my life that I am. I think if this was a year or two down the road, I'd be in a position where it'd be easier for me to give a second dog a home! I've totally fallen in love with Ada and I know you have too. I really do hope she can stay with you guys but obviously you will know what is best for her and you :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah we've talked to a lot of the rescues around. I did find a yorkie rescue i need to contact, but I do worry that she might just be a lot too much dog for anyone really looking at the yorkie rescue (their dogs are all tiny yorkies and she's not tiny and a lot of work). But I'm going to see if we can courtesy list her there. Maybe someone wants an extra large, acts more like a JRT than a yorkie dog. :eek:

Plus the local no kill (which was full anyways) is really just not a place I think I could ever send a dog to. I mean, I know they are trying and they have a ton of dogs but I went there and it's dogs crammed several to a run (which are all run down looking). The dogs are all pacing and barking their heads off whenever I've been there. She has it much better here than any local rescue I know of and have looked at imo. So I do want to keep fostering her. I couldn't send her to some of these places. I guess there are a lot of homeless dogs around here. The first couple weeks I really looked for a rescue to take her (haven't in a while) but as soon as the words 'Can you take her?' got out of my mouth they either laughed or looked at me like I was crazy. Oh well, I think it's been better for her this way. The rescues do have pictures of her there though for people to see.

I also feel like I have to be brutally honest with anyone looking into her. I had one person wanting a trail riding buddy and was really interested in her (friend of Rhonda's). I just had to say it wouldn't work out. Ada is not a dog you could do that with safely- she'd run right off I'm 100% sure. I don't think she'll ever be a trail riding off leash kind of dog.

The typical things people want- housebroken and quiet, she's not either of those. I'm working on manners with her, but it will take time and any new owner will have to put time into her too. So far people seem to want a ready made perfect pet dog. So I tell them, nope she's not housebroken yet and she's very vocal, wakes you up at 5 am every morning baying. Oh yeah... and she's HW+, will need to be on medication for months and she might be pregnant too but she can't be spayed till she's HW-.

So far no one's called back. :lol-sign: But I don't want someone to get her then realize they're in over their heads and she gets dumped again. I figure no one will want her till I've worked her through those issues, plus get her healthier.

Ivy

Completely understand your concerns.

A courtesy post is done for dogs that are not in said rescue/shelter. It's a courtesy that some rescues do for others to maximize exposure for the rescue dog to reach out to potential adopters. It does not mean the dog is adoptable through whichever website she is listed on. She will be adopted only through "you" not them as they should be posting your contact info not theirs.

Dekka

Just try me..
Does she have to be kept quiet on HW meds? (not sure, but I think I remember something about that)

If not try a little agility with her. Someone might want a loud agility partner lol. I would offer to tell people around here. But HW is sooo much more expensive to treat here than in the US.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah, I've got her courtesy posted at the local rescues/shelters so far and at several local vet clinics. I need to still contact the state yorkie rescue, too.

A lot of people have been interested in her picture but are really put off (I suppose) by her lack of manners and health concerns. I do understand though but it is frustrating. So far no one who has asked about her, do I feel they'd actually want to deal with her and help her become a well behaved pet. So I think my work now is mostly trying to make her okay indoors. I don't think she's ever been inside a house prior to us finding her.

she is really a good dog, she just needs some polishing up so to speak.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Does she have to be kept quiet on HW meds? (not sure, but I think I remember something about that)

If not try a little agility with her. Someone might want a loud agility partner lol. I would offer to tell people around here. But HW is sooo much more expensive to treat here than in the US.
Yep, we have to try to keep her quiet, although it's after her first shot in a month mostly. I am DREADING that, she's pretty energetic and high strung. Not sure how that's going to work out.

She LOVES agility (yeah I've already played with her some). She's not super fast but she likes to learn and picks things up fast for the most part. I've taught her jumps and that gets her going pretty well. I will probably continue training her less strenuous things like hitting a target. She loves food so training is pretty easy. She thinks with her stomach. ;)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
You'd probably really enjoy her. :p She can be a real hardheaded butt of a dog but she's really fun.

Bailey08

I guess I've had a dog for too long -- and one that is constantly going to the vet for one thing or another, and several of my family members have adopted HW+ dogs -- but I'm surprised that people think that HW is such a big deal.

I think the housebreaking will be huge. Really, I suspect that's the biggest thing that most people actually train their dogs to do. Maybe if you can get that taken care of she'll seem more adoptable?

As much as you love her, think of yourself, too. If she's not really the right fit for you, that's okay, too.

She sounds like so much fun! :)

Members online

No members online now.