I know we've looked at this before

Saeleofu

Poodles can be corded. I'd love to have a poodle with a corded coat, but I'd never be able to keep up with it.

Crowsfeet

facetious.
The Bull Terriers and Dobes are so contrasting to current standards.

..and the Bordeuxs look super awesome and mastiffy.

Saeleofu

I love the rough coated basset hound.

There's quite a difference in the boxer too. If people mistake modern ones for pitties, what would they think of these!

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Look at the Boxer, Keeshond, and the Bull Terrier. Nothing like what we see today.

See the coat length on the poodles? It's a wonder it's gone from that to the over-exaggerated growth we see on them now. I think if more were shown in HCC it'd be more about structure then who's the prettiest. And the Miniature Schnauzer looks gigantor... and so many more colors than whats accepted now - unless its not an *AKC* book. And No Miniature Poodle!! :O

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Wow... did you see the Sheltie? It doesn't look anything like a Sheltie! The eyes alone are way different, not to mention the coat and head. It looks like a little BC.

Shetland Sheepdog:
This variety is of recent origin, the questionable intention being to evolve a toy Collie. The weights aimed at are from 7 to 10 lbs, and the colors and conformation through out should follow the Collie as nearly as possible.

The Kelpie looks AMAZINGLY similar to Kelpies today... especially considering that those are notnotnot show dogs, just working dogs.

The Lab looks like I wish Labs still looked today.

Last edited:
There were a number of breeds who look very similar to what is seen today. Ususlly the less popular breeds.

I thought the poodle looked very similar in size and structure to the ones seen now. I dont agree w/ Mer. on the coat comment. I think the coats of today are more groomed/sculpted, but it seems to me that the black std. poodle in that book carries a very lengthy coat. Would love to see what it looked like if it was alive today and was dropped off w/ a handler to be groomed.

I also wasn't a fan of the lab. Look at his topline, ouch. Now I will agree that he looks to be at a better weight than most of the labs shown today.

The (English) mastiff is almost a carbon copy of those you see in the ring today. The Flat-coated retriever is also very very similar. Oh, and it looked like the Malinois (Belgian Shepherd I think they called it) is still very much similar.

To the comments about the sheltie. The sheltie is actually a pretty new breed compared to most. This book was probably written in the very early developmental years of the sheltie. Early early shelties were not producing the type etc people wanted. Obviously it states that they were tring for a miniature collie, it took quite a few generations of breeding to get there.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Such a fascinating read! I'm definitely pulling this up at work today, since I know they'll be interested by it too.

There were so many that looked dramatically different from what's bred today, and then a few surprises. The French Bulldog for example? I thought that one would be totally different, but it's not really.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
I thought the poodle looked very similar in size and structure to the ones seen now. I dont agree w/ Mer. on the coat comment. I think the coats of today are more groomed/sculpted, but it seems to me that the black std. poodle in that book carries a very lengthy coat. Would love to see what it looked like if it was alive today and was dropped off w/ a handler to be groomed.
I wasn't refering to structure, just the length of coat in a show trim.

Compared to now

oakash

Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One
Ohhh, I'm guessing that the Pointer of Weimer is now the Weimeriner? (sp)

And the Gazelle dog looks a lot like a saluki. And the Italian Greyhound seems to have a very chihuahua face.

And the Mexican hairless looks much stockier then todays version.
This was very interesting, but the print is too small for me to read comfortably. I hope I can find a way to change that.

ACooper

It surprised me that the doberman said "24in and 45lbs" Unless they mean a bitch, that is SMALL......and by today's standards, that is on the smallest end for a bitch LOL

I have to say, I like the looks of dobes NOW better than then. They look much more sleek today. I don't mean the crop, I really don't care for the long crops of today, I mean the dog's build in general looks more sleek, athletic, and fit today.

Dekka

Just try me..
The whippet looks pretty much the same!

Would be interesting (but impossible) to know if some of what is pretty now is less useful and more just cosmetic (thinking of the sleek dobe look.. they are prettier now.. but are they actually more athletic.. or just look more athletic. Thinking of horses, some of the prettiest are NOT the most athletic lol)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I got a kick out of the ads in the very back!
me too! That might've been my favorite part! :rofl1:

The papillon nowadays is pretty similar but the ears are more exaggerated of course but the size is less exaggerated (Well this says 8 lbs, but I've seen 3-5 lbs listed before). I like the modern better although I wish we still had solid colored papillons. The old to me looks like a LH chihuahua. It may just be that dog though because I've seen some from long before that look nearly identical to modern phalenes.

Gonzo, look at these pics, I think you'll like them. I SO wish shelties were more the old style than modern style. They did look a lot like border collies.

The earliest Shetland Sheepdogs

Last edited:

ACooper

The whippet looks pretty much the same!

Would be interesting (but impossible) to know if some of what is pretty now is less useful and more just cosmetic (thinking of the sleek dobe look.. they are prettier now.. but are they actually more athletic.. or just look more athletic. Thinking of horses, some of the prettiest are NOT the most athletic lol)
I agree. It would be VERY interesting to see film footage of them in action, perhaps even timed activities and compare it to today's dogs.

One would *think* with the sleeker form, a bit longer legs and such, the dobe would have a faster running time and higher jump ability..........but who knows?

Members online