Time for a change!

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Alrighty.... It's time for a change from Innova. Banzai has always done well on whatever food we have him on, but I feel that Bella could be doing better on her food.

I just tried Honest Kitchen.. well, the dogs did (the stuff smelled nasty :eek:) and they absolutely LOVED it. I gave it to them with a can of Evangers beef (ok and leftover human dinner). It's too expensive for us to feed all the time, but it can definitely be a supplement.

We also do raw, but not 100% as it is just too expensive to feed three love-our-food gentle giants (and almost giants).

I'm open to home cooked ideas, kibble ideas, whatever- sock it to me. What do you suggest they try?

TIA!

cavkingcharlesx3

wannabe raw feeder
well i've heard that Canidae is a great food and not too expensive either (i got the smallest bag for $7.99)

my cavy just got switched to it and he absolutely ADORES it.

Herschel

Canidae does have a nice price point and will probably be cheaper than Innova and far cheaper than The Honest Kitchen.

Why not try home cooked according to Dr. Pitcairn's book?

Or maybe a grain-free food like EVO, TWO Wild and Natural, SG Barking at the Moon, or Nature's Variety Raw Instinct. (That's another suggestion--what about Nature's Variety raw medallions as a supplement?)

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
You know, I should go back and re-read that section in Dr. Pitcairn's book. I need a refresher.

We can't feed grain-free yet. Well, I suppose we could, but I'd like Bella to grow and mature a bit more before we move to something like complete raw or grain free. I really think that Buddy and Banzai would thrive on those though, so the minute Bella has gotten to be big girlish enough, we're switching.

But, for the time being, a change would be nice. I'm just not that thrilled with Innova anymore.

We did try Nature's Variety medallions with Buddy before, that can be quite expensive now though with three big dogs. Although, the store we would buy from does have a buy 3, get the 4th free kind of deal. So many options. :yikes:

I'm feeling frazzled, can anyone tell? I have a full bag of Innova left, so I do have time to decide. I'm gonna check out canidae's website and give it good look-through. :) *hears the applause from canidae fans*

MisssAshby

Richy Rich HM Twit!
I have feed Innova, Eagle Pack, and Canidae to my guys and I can't say I was impressed with any of them but the Innova. My dogs just flat out refused to eat the Eagle Pack and the while feeding the Canidae I noticed that their coat wasn't as nice and they seemed to stay hungry ALL the time.

I am now feeding the Nature's Variety medallions and they LOVE them. Everyone seems to be happy with this choice so far --- including Mom! :) But, I of course can understand where you are coming from on price because I am only feeding two small dachshunds.

What about the Nature's Variety kibble with the raw (of your choice) as a supplement?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Guess that wipes out Orijen then :p Why not do one meal of Raw with one meal of kibble?

But, yes, Canidae is a good food. It's not a top quality(I like grain free better) but it's good for the price.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
We already feed part raw....

I'm just looking for a new kibble.

So, their diet is supplemented with raw, honest kitchen, yogurt, eggs, their vitamins and salmon oil. Not all at the same time, though. lol

I am going to try the medallions though, they might really like that. The protein is the same in the canidae, but I'm not sure yet. :)

showpug

I think Canidae would be a good choice. My dogs don't care much for the taste at all, but they will eat anything so it doesn't stop them. I have found after trying Canidae MULTIPLE times that after a couple of weeks they just don't like it anymore. All dogs are different however and yours may think it's the best they ever tasted.

You know the quality brands and you supplement your dogs well with a lot of healthy items. I wouldn't worry too much about the kibble since you can't go wrong with any of the options mentioned and you mainly use it as a base.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Thanks. :)

I think we might try Canidae. I'll buy a bag and see what they think of it. We have some time though as they have another bag of Innova left.

dk666

well i've heard that Canidae is a great food and not too expensive either (i got the smallest bag for $7.99)

my cavy just got switched to it and he absolutely ADORES it.
I'm paying $28 for a 33 pounder of the Chicken and Rice the Reg is like $33 -$35 for the 40 pound ALS . Canidae makes a great product for a great price plus if you call or email them they will send a coupon for a few bucks off the bag !!

Members online

No members online now.