Mixing in with dry kibble.

I have a 5 month old English Mastiff/Dogue de Bordeaux cross pup who weighs about 72lbs and he is on high quality dry kibble, however the instructions recommend 1.6-2lbs of kibble per day and he never eats anywhere near that much. I need to mix something in with the food to get him to eat it more readily. He loves tuna but this gives him bad dirrohea, gravy doesnt encourage him much. Is tripe maybe an option?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
What is tripe?

If your pup isn't hunger and he isn't underweight, i wouldn't worry about it at all.

The bag directions are sometimes very off. Its just a general guideline. but on the lower quality dog foods its ridiculous! lol

What brand of food are you feeding your pup?

Your pup will eat until hes full. What you could do is put down his food, let him eat until hes full pick up the food and not let him have anything until next feeding time. This will also promote him to eat all of his dinner when its down.

my pup Riot(10months) will eat his fill and usually leave some "Fromm" at the bottom of his dish so I pick it up and the next feeding time hes sure to eat it all lol

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Some dogs are 'good' eaters and only eat what they want/need to maintain a healthy weight and don't scarf down everything in sight. Your dog may be one of these.

Thanks for the reply. The brand is James Wellbeloved. Its recommended by vets and all the dog mags etc. Its hypoallergenic with no addetives. Its made in Britain.
Oh and tripe is stomach lining i think. I know that some people use it.

SummerRiot said:
What is tripe?

If your pup isn't hunger and he isn't underweight, i wouldn't worry about it at all.

The bag directions are sometimes very off. Its just a general guideline. but on the lower quality dog foods its ridiculous! lol

What brand of food are you feeding your pup?

Your pup will eat until hes full. What you could do is put down his food, let him eat until hes full pick up the food and not let him have anything until next feeding time. This will also promote him to eat all of his dinner when its down.

my pup Riot(10months) will eat his fill and usually leave some "Fromm" at the bottom of his dish so I pick it up and the next feeding time hes sure to eat it all lol

Fran27

Tripe smells nasty!!! They would love it though. Personally, I add canned food (95% meat), yoghurt, sardines, sometimes a bit of meat etc.

Staff online

Members online