English Springer Spaniel?

Hello!

We currently have a lab/dane cross that is a year old. The shelter called me yesterday with a 5 month old purebred Springer Spaniel (Field) that was surrendered on Friday. (Reason: Kids have allergies to the dog. :rolleyes: )

I'm looking for a dog to do obedience trials with as well as for extra company for Wes.

Is this a good choice? My family grew up with hounds - I have no experience with Spaniels. I've read about hip/eye/blood disorders. How common are these? Should it stop me from considering this dog?

He's a little shy but warms up quickly. My dog has already met him and they seem to be fine together.

Any special considerations or advice?

Thanks so much!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Hello! My parents have an English Springer Spaniel, and he's fantastic!! :)
They do need alot of exercise though!!!, or they can get naughty!! They are great in the house normally and My mum and dad have never had a problem with chewing, But Barley likes to steal socks! :rolleyes:
They are relatively easy to train but they can get easily distracted as they are normaly quite boistrous! But saying that once they know something they know it!!! :)
Only thing mum and dad have ever had a problem with is, ear infections in the summer as spaniels ears hang they get hot inside!!

Members online