Please send good thoughts to my dogs, I'm terrified.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Sorry, havn't read the entire thread but I was going to suggest boarding Serenity till you get home? Atleast that way you know she's out of the way just incase.

ACooper

Hope everthing turns out all right Tahlia, I know how it is to have a-holes in the family.

This. This, this, this. They need to be **** sure he's living in the house and is there to raid a house. They don't go around willy-nilly raiding random houses in case he may live there. It just doesn't happen.

If he lives elsewhere, they know.
They really don't care if they "live" at a certain place Jess, they CARE if they can find them there. If they think you are harboring someone they want, they'll raid your home, doesn't matter if it's the criminals address or not. You become a criminal if you harbor one since that is breaking the law...........whether you are a willing knowledgable party or not. It really depends on how motivated they are to capture him, how bad the crime was, how much of a danger they feel this person is, etc etc. But make no mistake, they will do it.

He may not have been there long but he's living there.

And despite a ton of people's hate for cops they don't raid houses just because someone doing something stupid has hung around a few times. If he's their enough to warrant a house raid I would still feel he's there too much.
The reality of it is, like Coop said, that they CAN and it DOES happen. All it takes is the suspicion that he has been there, might be there, might have left something there, that someone there might know where he is, etc.

And it's not just cops -- skip recovery (aka "bounty hunters") can as well, although they aren't usually aggressive toward dogs. Some of the ones I've worked with have been bitten fairly badly and not retaliated on the dog, they appreciated that the dog was just doing its job.

TahlzK

Am I reading correctly that you went on holiday and left the dogs outside for the duration?
Yes. I live with my mum. She wont allow my dogs inside and they I was not going to put them in my room. Sunny had free roam of the yard, Serenity on the zip line, they had proper cover, food and water. My friend was there looking after them day and night (till this happened).

I was not willing to put Serenity in to boarding because I knew how stressed she would be. She'd be happier at home. So, Sunny stayed too since she would want company and I'm sure he'd prefer to be in a familiar place too. If this hadn't happened, it would have worked out perfectly. At boarding, Serenity would have sat in a kennel all week long (as I wouldn't want people doing things with her since she's a bite risk). At least at home she'd feel comfortable and had space to move. I just didn't expect this...

Though I think we are in the all clear now.

TahlzK

A bit over 24 hours till I'm home and I get to see the Mutts <3 I can't wait. I miss them so much. Hiking, playing and sleeping in the bed for them soon enough.

yoko

Yes. I live with my mum. She wont allow my dogs inside and they I was not going to put them in my room. Sunny had free roam of the yard, Serenity on the zip line, they had proper cover, food and water. My friend was there looking after them day and night (till this happened).
I thought your responsible brother was the one watching them?

I'm not accusing anyone of anything I'm just saying things don't add up for me.

Also I'm not getting how people were all like 'it's the owners fault!' In the thread about a dog getting out and a neighbor slashing it to death and in this one the owner left her heart dog outside at a home that her know irresponsible brother with bad life choices was at enough that they are now worried the house will be raided. And it's total sympathy. I'm sorry if I come off as heartless/mean or whatever.

This situation should never have happened. This was a ton of bad choices stacked on to of each other.

I'm sorry if I'm harsh or mean sounding but if everything you have said is true you should never have left these dogs tied up there.

I agree...the situation sucks but IMO it is TOTALLY irresponsible to leave two dogs outside, one on a zip line! That is just an accident waiting to happen as it is.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Frankly I'd have a great deal more sympathy for your situation, had you not left the dogs outside to go ON VACATION. If you had to leave on a moment's notice to take care of some business, or family issues, or anything unexpected like that, I could understand. But you plan out a vacation, and therefore you must have planned out leaving your dogs with your mom who apparently doesn't like dogs enough to allow them in the house. What happened to your household because of your brother is unfortunate, may it be a lesson to you to take your dogs into further consideration when you plan a future vacation?

I understand that the unexpected happens, I am glad that things are okay. Boarding kennels are your friend, especially with a bite-risk dog. Find a kennel who is willing/able to deal with your kelpie, for the safety of your dog as well as the people who might come into contact with her.

Also I'm not getting how people were all like 'it's the owners fault!' In the thread about a dog getting out and a neighbor slashing it to death and in this one the owner left her heart dog outside at a home that her know irresponsible brother with bad life choices was at enough that they are now worried the house will be raided. And it's total sympathy. I'm sorry if I come off as heartless/mean or whatever.
It was cruel in the former instance.

In this one, yes, there's sympathy involved, and some of us would like to hope that there's a lesson learned here, but yes, I do have sympathy for her feelings, even if it isn't a situation I'd have been willing to leave my dogs in. People are seldom open to learn, though, from being harshly condemned.

We've probably all had to learn from experience through our lives, and experience often comes from poor decisions.

Best possible outcome is the dogs are fine and Tahlia has learned to make better provisions for them in the future -- and she sticks around and uses this as a safe place to learn from other people's experiences instead of having to learn the hard way.

Kayota

In this one, yes, there's sympathy involved, and some of us would like to hope that there's a lesson learned here, but yes, I do have sympathy for her feelings, even if it isn't a situation I'd have been willing to leave my dogs in. People are seldom open to learn, though, from being harshly condemned.
This is probably one of the best things I've read on this forum.

Barbara!

Seriously guys? Anyone here live with their parents?

There is nothing wrong with leaving your dogs outside when you go on vacation if the line or fence is secure and you have someone there to check on them. I've done it before. Her Mom is on vacation with her (right Tahlz?) but just because she is gone doesn't mean the rules of the house don't still stand. Tahlz left them outside where they usually are, being watched by someone that is responsible and that she trusts. Her responsible brother. Now, her idiot brother lives somewhere else, but the police suspect him of frequenting their place enough to warrant a raid...circumstances which are completely and totally out of Tahlz control. I am failing to see how any of this is her fault or how she has been at all irresponsible. She did not board her dogs because one of them is a bite risk. She is fear aggressive (progressively getting better).

Either way, if your opinion is that she was being irresponsible, then that's fine. But stop the accusatory postings... Because even though you are typing on a computer, there is still another HUMAN on the other side.

yoko

Seriously guys? Anyone here live with their parents?
Actually I do. Could yoshi stay inside the whole time I was on vacation? Absolutely not. But she wouldn't be outside the whole time and definitely not where someone that unreliable was hanging out.

There is nothing wrong with leaving your dogs outside when you go on vacation if the line or fence is secure and you have someone there to check Tahlz left them outside where they usually are, being watched by someone that is responsible and that she trusts. Her responsible brother.
Yes there is. This whole thread is an example why it is a bad idea.

And please quote where I have accused her of anything.

The only thing I have said is get the dogs out and not everything has added up here for me.

Kayota

I also would never leave my dogs outside while I'm gone, but it was a mistake and people do make mistakes... And it seems like she is willing to learn from her mistakes.

There is nothing wrong with leaving your dogs outside when you go on vacation if the line or fence is secure and you have someone there to check on them. I've done it before. Her Mom is on vacation with her (right Tahlz?) but just because she is gone doesn't mean the rules of the house don't still stand..

TOtally disagree. I think it is asinine to leave two dogs outside while you are on a week long vacation. I think dogs should never be outside 24/7 unless they are actual working dogs (like livestock guardians). And I definitely think its actually downright dangerous to leave a dog attached to a zipline.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Frankly I'd have a great deal more sympathy for your situation, had you not left the dogs outside to go ON VACATION. If you had to leave on a moment's notice to take care of some business, or family issues, or anything unexpected like that, I could understand. But you plan out a vacation, and therefore you must have planned out leaving your dogs with your mom who apparently doesn't like dogs enough to allow them in the house. What happened to your household because of your brother is unfortunate, may it be a lesson to you to take your dogs into further consideration when you plan a future vacation?

I understand that the unexpected happens, I am glad that things are okay. Boarding kennels are your friend, especially with a bite-risk dog. Find a kennel who is willing/able to deal with your kelpie, for the safety of your dog as well as the people who might come into contact with her.
This this this this this this THIS!

I just came back from my yearly international trip... having a petsitter was the FIRST and most important step of my planning! The idea of leaving my dogs outside would STOP me from enjoying my trip.

Barbara!

And please quote where I have accused her of anything.
Please quote where I accused YOU.

TOtally disagree. I think it is asinine to leave two dogs outside while you are on a week long vacation. I think dogs should never be outside 24/7 unless they are actual working dogs (like livestock guardians). And I definitely think its actually downright dangerous to leave a dog attached to a zipline.
Then we will totally disagree on most everything...I don't think there is a thing wrong with having a 100% outside dog. As I said, her dogs are secure, and someone was watching them. How exactly is that bad?

This this this this this this THIS!

I just came back from my yearly international trip... having a petsitter was the FIRST and most important step of my planning! The idea of leaving my dogs outside would STOP me from enjoying my trip.
Yes, but if you had a dog that was a friggin' BITE RISK, which would you choose? There would be no way I would ever leave a fear aggressive dog at a boarder and to suggest that is irresponsible, IMO.

yoko

Please quote where I accused YOU.
Please quote anyone who has constantly accused her of something. There were a couple who accused her of bringing drama over but none since the beginning of this thread yet you keep bringing up people are accusing her.

Then we will totally disagree on most everything...I don't think there is a thing wrong with having a 100% outside dog. As I said, her dogs are secure, and someone was watching them. How exactly is that bad?/
I actually don't totally disagree with outside dogs. But this isn't just an outside dog. This was an outside dog left in a bad situation.

Yes, but if you had a dog that was a friggin' BITE RISK, which would you choose? There would be no way I would ever leave a fear aggressive dog at a boarder and to suggest that is irresponsible, IMO.
Someone had mentioned finding a boarder that has experience with this

stafinois

Professional Nerd

Well, you also underestimate many kennels. Do you think that none of these places that deal in dogs as a profession can handle a difficult dog?

My last Malinois was not easily handled by strangers. We would board him at a place where he had a covered indoor/outdoor run that he was never taken out of. His kennel was cleaned by tossing treats in one end or the other, then blocking him in or out so that he wouldn't come into contact with the kennel workers. Only the owner of the kennel was allowed to handle him. He didn't like her, but she was experienced enough that she could get him out and deal with him if needed.

Quality kennels exist, you just have to find them.

yoko

I also would never leave my dogs outside while I'm gone, but it was a mistake and people do make mistakes... And it seems like she is willing to learn from her mistakes.
She isn't though. She said she had a friend who could get her dogs out. But now because the raid threat has magically disappeared she's cool still just leaving them. If it was really a threat she should still ve trying to get them out

Members online

No members online now.